Fuel & Ammo for tanks

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
fiesloch
Private
Private

Fuel & Ammo for tanks

Post by fiesloch »

I have suggested some new features on the source forge pages and I also want to post them here to reach a wide audience:

see also

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... up_id=3248

I suggest to introduce some new factors in the gamplay:

1) Fuel

A tank has a limited amount of fuel that gets less and less if the tank is moving (or flying).

To fill up the tank has to run over a new kind of flag: the FL - flag that refills a defined amount of fuel.

If the tank driver fails to refill or reach such a flag in time the tank cannot drive, jump or fly anymore.

One could think about activating a self destruct if the fuel is empty.

2) Ammunition

A tank has a specific number of shots, lets say 100 for example, this number is decreased by every shot of the tank and when it's zereo the tank cannot fire anymore.

To re-ammo the tank has to drive over a new AM flag that provides a certain number of shots.

Both features above need to be parameterized widely so that the properties of the fuel consumption, the gallons of refilling flags and several other things can be fine tuned by the server administrator.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

No thanks, I probably would not play BZ anymore if this was added. You should make your own server/map and have these implemented so that people could try it out.

I just think it's too big of a change to really work.

With the ammunition, there are usually shot limits on certain flags anyhow. Having to drop the flag you have which might not have a shot limit, and finding an 'AM' flag aswell as refueling could get annoying.
Contamination
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Contamination »

This idea has it's pros and cons. Some people might like it, but I don't really.. :?
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

next thing you know, we'll have to get oil changes and tune-ups too :p

[SERVER->]you need new head gaskets. find the HG flag in the next 30 seconds or your tank will be immobilized
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Grace F wrote:No thanks, I probably would not play BZ anymore if this was added. You should make your own server/map and have these implemented so that people could try it out.

I just think it's too big of a change to really work.

With the ammunition, there are usually shot limits on certain flags anyhow. Having to drop the flag you have which might not have a shot limit, and finding an 'AM' flag aswell as refueling could get annoying.
How would he run a server with features that he is requesting (and hence don't exist yet)?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I meant that if he knew how to, he could give it a go.

Also, if some people did think it was a good idea, they might be willing to help get this set up so people could try it out.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZFlag is supposed to be simple. Adding fuel and ammunition limits goes against that simplistic concept.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Actually, there's a pretty simple way to implement the ammo idea. (Assuming this works, I have no idea how to code stuff)

You make it so that tanks without flags can't shoot, and then scatter some useless flags around with a shot limit on each one.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

This is a bad idea. So you have all these people sitting around on the map like lame ducks because they can't move and have no ammo? Or I'm about to capture the flag and run out of fuel just before I get there? No thank you. Not to mention it's just plain annoying.
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flight »

well i assume you wouldn't have sitting ducks you would die when you run out of gas, but i think GraceF's suggestion is fair. someone could write a plug-in. i think it is an interesting idea, Howerver i do not think it should become a main BZflag applicable option. i'll be learning programing soon so maybe i'll see what i can do for a plug-in... in a couple years :P

plug-ins for BZflag are writen in c right? i'll have to check.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

C++ is the language BZ is written in, or so I've heard.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

It'd be feasible to implement limited ammo with a plug-in, either by the flag method described by Joe-Schmoe, or directly through the API.

A fuel limit could also be done, probably, using distance, time, or a combination thereof. However, you'd only be able to destroy tanks, not immobilize them.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
fiesloch
Private
Private

Post by fiesloch »

Macrosoft wrote:next thing you know, we'll have to get oil changes and tune-ups too :p

[SERVER->]you need new head gaskets. find the HG flag in the next 30 seconds or your tank will be immobilized

Right. ... and for german tanks we need a bi-annual TÜV approval, regular tests of the emissions, etc.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

L4m3r wrote:It'd be feasible to implement limited ammo with a plug-in, either by the flag method described by Joe-Schmoe, or directly through the API.

A fuel limit could also be done, probably, using distance, time, or a combination thereof. However, you'd only be able to destroy tanks, not immobilize them.
Technically, in 2.1/2.2, you could do both of these things. There is a message that can tell a tank whether or not they can move or shoot.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

blast wrote:
L4m3r wrote:It'd be feasible to implement limited ammo with a plug-in, either by the flag method described by Joe-Schmoe, or directly through the API.

Technically, in 2.1/2.2, you could do both of these things. There is a message that can tell a tank whether or not they can move or shoot.
Certainly. But I was referring to 2.0.x ;)
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

[SERVER]--> Your tank is polluting too much. Find a smog check station in 1 minute before you get blown up

[SERVER]-->OMG! YOUR BRAKES AND STEERING AND GUN AND SELF DESTRUCT FAILED AND YOUR TANK CAN'T BLOW UP NOW! HAHA! SUCKER!!!!1!!1!!1111! (;p)

A peek at the future.

Anyways, it may work. Instead, why not make "gas stations" and "ammo dumps" Entering reloads you or refuels you steadily. Bases could do the same, only for one team. Maybe, you could have two new flags: Full tank and Reload. They keep whichever supply they correspond to fully supplied. Shooting gas stations makes them catch on fire :twisted: . Ammo dumps go
KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Wow...
blast wrote:BZFlag is supposed to be simple. Adding fuel and ammunition limits goes against that simplistic concept.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

BTW: The flag suggestion list contains an unimplemented flag-idea named extra shot. If that idea is implemented into a future version of bzflag, then I guess that it could start looking a little like Joe-Schmoe's suggestion. (But then it should probably be "extra shots" instead of "extra shot")

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Flag_Ideas
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I still don't think this is good, but you could possibly turn this into a bad flag. When you pick it up, you can't shoot until you reach the antidote for the bad flag. But that would still be pretty hard, to go through a battlefield to reach a flag. Not a implement to the game, but a bad flag.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I'm coming late to the party, I know, but like blast and others have said (and I agree with), it would change fundamental elements of gameplay, resulting in a game that is very different from the BZFlag that we now know (although it would probably still be fun). Such fundamental changes to the game generally do not happen, AFAIK.
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

Hmmm... A no-shooting flag. Always what I wanted for BZChat (if I ever get around to make it...)

There's BZFlag 2.2?!? Is it a beta or a source?
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

GMMan wrote:Hmmm... A no-shooting flag. Always what I wanted for BZChat (if I ever get around to make it...)

It is currently in development... see http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFlag_2.2
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Constitution wrote:
GMMan wrote:Hmmm... A no-shooting flag. Always what I wanted for BZChat (if I ever get around to make it...)

It is currently in development... see http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFlag_2.2
So technically it is still 2.1... it will become 2.2 when it is released (just to clear up confusion, I know you know that Constitution).
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln