map idea

General talk about the map making process.
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

map idea

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

not so sure this is a good thing to post or even a good place to post it... anyways, I have a good map idea, but I'm only 14 and can create the map myself.... I maneged to figure out Wings3d but I cant do things I want like teles, one way walls, bases, flags, etc... so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in building this map for me- it would be realtivley easy! You can take most of the credit, all I want is my name mentioned somewhere, full admin priveledges, and my choice of what we call the map, you can put your name wherever the h3ll you want, and you can help choose admins and (withing reason) anything else you want....

anyways.. I was thinking of a map with 4 large inescapable boxes with the bases in them, then teles from the boxes to get into the main area- the teles are 1-way, so once you go in, you fight to the death, but if you dont want to fight in the "cage" you can go up into one of several levels inside your box and snipe other boxes with L or kill ppl in the box with GM. Team flags spawn at a high point only accesible by wg (something hard: players are forced to drop wg [server /flag takes them] once the touch the platform) and once you either have a team flag or geno, you can fall back into the cage or climb some stairs to jump into a team box to cap or geno camp (geno only has 3-4 shots). uh what else... oh and the cage has random pyramids and boxes and platforms and things to use as cover and such.... I think thats it... anyone willing to build it for me? I would really appreciate it!
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flight »

first off don't blame your age for not being able to build maps. that's ... i guess the best word is silly. get yourself ibzedit or bzedit. and learn how to use it. it's very straight forward and easy to use. second if you have lasers sniping people far away in another box the lasers would just slaughter every one else because there is no way for them to be shot. and who would want to go into the middle and free for all fight, when the objective is to capture a flag? maybe i'm just not getting the idea you are expressing.

however i like hearing ideas and it's good to think about maps in depth. it excursuses the brain i think ;) remember the different levels that people would have to be at to kill people think of all the problems that could possibly go wrong before it's made and see if you can find a way to fix it. think of campers too. and like i said please don't blame your age for well... possible laziness. you have to put some effort in sometimes.

oh my gosh. i sound like my dad
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

A Looney Kumquat, go to the BZ Wiki that has been made to help people like yourself regarding any questions you may have about BZ. That includes map making! Take a look at it, it's guaranteed to help. Best part is, it's not even finished yet!

Having someone make the map for you isn't the best idea, it's never going to turn out the way you imagined it would.
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

There are many ways to build a map, none of them require any specific age. The BZFlag wiki has lots of information that you can use (for free even! and you can be 2 years old!). Try their site at: http://my.bzflag.org/w There is also the bzflag manual pages located at: http://my.bzflag.org/bzfman.cgi. Heck, there are even help places within in this forum you could look at for more links, like the Links on testing and making a map: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8739

Not many people are willing to make a map for you. You should try and do it yourself.

By the way, you do not need to type useless information such as:
"uh... what else"
It does not make you look smart, and adds nothing to your post.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Yeah, I am 14 and am making maps now with death physics, world weapons and textures, I also know a player called "Macint" He is 11 (perhaps 12 now) and he made a very successful map a while ago and he was able to host it.
I know that the idea of making a map can be a bit daunting but all you need is bzedit (to start of with), determination and creativity. If you ever need any help with bzedit, textures world weapons or death physics, look on the wiki, but if you can't quite find what your looking for the just contact me via the private messaging system.

As for the map idea, it sounds good, and the playability looks like it would be to. And if am am picturing it right, it looks like it could be simple enough to be your first map.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

PETER wrote:if you can't quite find what your looking for the just contact me via the private messaging system.
You can also contact the Map Development Group who are experienced in map creation, design and techniques.

Click Here to jump to their website.

The members include:
Tanner
Win Xp
SpazzyMcGee
LouMan
CBG
Optic Delusion
TD-Linux
L4m3r
Ducatiwannabe

So for any information regarding maps they are people you can turn to.
blast
General
General

Re: map idea

Post by blast »

A Looney Kumquat wrote:not so sure this is a good thing to post or even a good place to post it... anyways, I have a good map idea, but I'm only 14 and can create the map myself.... I maneged to figure out Wings3d but I cant do things I want like teles, one way walls, bases, flags, etc... so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in building this map for me- it would be realtivley easy!
Yes, because we'd just love to make a map for you. That's why we're here. To make maps for everyone.
A Looney Kumquat wrote:You can take most of the credit, all I want is my name mentioned somewhere, full admin priveledges, and my choice of what we call the map, you can put your name wherever the h3ll you want, and you can help choose admins and (withing reason) anything else you want....
I don't think you understand this. You don't get admin right on a map. You get admin rights on a server. A server runs a map. And honestly, myself, I wouldn't even give you Cop rights, much less full admin.

Why the heck would someone make a map all by them self, and then give YOU partial credit, and allow YOU to name it? It sounds like you just want your name "in lights", but not have to do any of the work.

With the conditions you specified, don't hold your breath waiting for that map to be made for you.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

blast is right. It's been said quite a bit here, you need to make the map yourself. Those people I mentioned, and others on here, can only help you so much, but I don't think they'd go as far as make the map for you :)

Make the map yourself and host it. What's good about that is that YOU can choose Admins/Cops too. Make your own Global Groups, it's a good feeling in the end to know you did it all!
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

the first five post were extremeley helpful- also very nice and well put- I know everything I need to know, but blast, that was close to being just rude after everything I've gotten from Grace and Peter and people! I understand you have several good points, just dont be a jack@ss when you convey them....

Personally I think this post is doen- I need nothing else, and really appreciate the help.
-ALK

1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

A Looney Kumquat wrote:the first five post were extremeley helpful- also very nice and well put- I know everything I need to know, but blast, that was close to being just rude after everything I've gotten from Grace and Peter and people! I understand you have several good points, just dont be a jack@ss when you convey them....

Personally I think this post is doen- I need nothing else, and really appreciate the help.
He was a heck of a lot politer than he could have been. And he is 100% right.

Making a map takes a lot of time.
Hosting a server costs actual real money.

If I were to do both for you, after all you provided was a basic idea that wasn't even feasible... I doubt I would even mention your name, let alone give you any cop/admin privs... Sorry.
Those are simply the facts of life. There's no easier way to put it...

And yes, the map idea is not feasible.
A Looney Kumquat wrote:Team flags spawn at a high point only accesible by wg (something hard: players are forced to drop wg [server /flag takes them] once the touch the platform) and once you either have a team flag or geno, you can fall back into the cage
It'd be possible to write a plugin that took your wg flag when you landed in a certain area, yes. But it would not be possible without a plugin which is even more work.
And, as for being able to go somewhere ONLY when you have a team flag or geno... This is not possible even with a plugin, as far as I know.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

A very good idea, but a rather complex one. I'd start out with a slightly simpler idea that doesn't need so many plugins and modifications, but has similar gameplay if possible. If you Google BZEdit you'll find the program I like to use (most likely you'll find it on Sourceforge, check for version 1.6.5). I wrote a tutorial on it that you can find at the link Tanner (thanks, btw) supplied in a post above. And, if you need help with whatever, feel free to give me a pm.
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

you know, I have been working on this map idea- you can see it in the "Works In Progress" section (sorry I dont have any screenshots)....

is there a way we could get this locked? I've been humiliated enough for not knowing what I'm talking about/being overreactive/and being noobish *sigh* :oops: :cry: :roll:
-ALK

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Not at all. If there's something you didn't know, best way to find out is to ask. Of course, you have to understand... there will always be a player (even myself sometimes) just waiting to make a sarcastic or nasty remark. I don't think they really mean anything by it.

Keep up the good work!
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks, DW, also- I did get some screenies up on my map, if anyones interested
-ALK