Uneven CTF Mod Sugestion

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please

Is this a good idea?

That's fantastic! I wish I had thought of that!
30%
What a stupid idea! You're a moron!
70%

Total votes: 10

Head
Private First Class
Private First Class

Uneven CTF Mod Sugestion

Post by Head »

One of the hard things about dynamic CTF games is knowing when it's "okay" to take the flag because the size of the teams has a tendency to fluctuate sporadically. So you can carry a flag all the way to other end only to realize it has become a 4 vs 2 game.

To even the playing field, I think it would be cool if the team with fewer members was able to go faster. For example, in a 3 vs 2 game, the players on the short team would be able to travel 50% faster thus equalizing the advantage the other team has by having more players.
teatree
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by teatree »

Well i like the idea with evening the teams at 4 on 2 like there should be a auto switch ore something that somewone automaticly will be on a other team BTW That would be a cool idea choosing the other team without reconecting. But taking the flag to half the way isnt that good i think and with the 50 % faster would be so mean ... you couldnt hit the tank at all .... too fast and a few people would think it would be cheating ...
Last edited by teatree on Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teatree

legends may sleep ...
... but they never die!

http://my.bzflag.org/league
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

we shall not repress opinions here ... actually I quite like it, but that's besides the point.

There really _should_ be some way to equalize a CTF game when it's 4 v 2. But then again, I don't play much CTF, so what do I know? ;)

Peace
Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

The basic idea is not bad (although 50% speedup seems to be too much). However, I fear that getting the details right is the main problem here. First off, simply basing the speedup on the number of logged in players in each team might not be accurate because not all players are necessarily active (ducati kicks inacitve peopel after some time, though). And then of course the skills might be unevenly distributed. If it's 3 newbies against 2 skilled players, the smaller team might still easily win.

SOme form of autobalancing or handicap is still a good idea, though. A first step would be an automatic team assignment when joining. The simplest rule would again be to try and even the player count. Or in a CTF game, the number of recent (whatever that means) captures coudl be taken into account to guess which team is stronger. This could possible work with both team assignment or some kind of handicap.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Most other games force team ballance by swaping people, or adding more bots. But then we don't have smart bots.
ImageJeffM
Head
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Head »

-tea|tree- wrote:the 50 % faster would be so mean ... you couldnt hit the tank at all ....
The other side of this coin would be, make the team with more players slower. Would you like that better?

Another idea is the number of bullets. Maybe you get as many bullets as there are players on the opposing team? But that wouldn't work if there were more than 2 teams. Hmmm
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

Patlabor221 wrote:Most other games force team ballance by swaping people, or adding more bots. But then we don't have smart bots.
Yes, bots would be nice. But I don't see that in the near future. But a man can dream, a man can dream...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you would have to play ballance the exact speed settings, and posibly make it a config option. But ether faster on one side or slower on the other. may work. It woudl require testing to get the "feel" right. It's hard to just throw out numbers initaly and know how it's gonna play.
ImageJeffM
teatree
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by teatree »

Head wrote: The other side of this coin would be, make the team with more players slower. Would you like that better?

Another idea is the number of bullets. Maybe you get as many bullets as there are players on the opposing team? But that wouldn't work if there were more than 2 teams. Hmmm
making slower would be too mean for the tanks because u cant hardly dodge and cant jump far what every its not an good idea with slowing tanks down ore speeding.
Last edited by teatree on Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teatree

legends may sleep ...
... but they never die!

http://my.bzflag.org/league
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Another Suggestion

Post by Gerbil »

This might even be doable as they are working on "flag zones" in 1.8--areas where designated flags appear and no other.

Play with flags such as high speed or narrow and code game so that not only can flags be designated in spawn points but also by team.

Like the "antidote" flag--only the team it is usable to would see it.
Head
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Head »

I had another idea along these lines. Instead of letting players enter a CTF in at any time, they have to queue up. In other words, when you join as red in a red vs. green game, you will only be let in when a green player is also in the queue. Until you're let in you'd essentially be in observer mode. When someone leaves the game from one team, you would have to kick someone from the other team back to the queue to keep things even.
freelancer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by freelancer »

What if you had some kind of player rating system that way you could set it up when someone joins in to which team he gets into.
All is fair in love and war and BZ is WAR