OctoCage by Bachii and Saturos

User made maps to use on servers.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

OctoCage by Bachii and Saturos

Post by Saturos »

Hey guys, it's been a while. :)
Some time ago I read about the mapping contest and suddenly felt the urgent desire to get my hands on BZEdit. I sat down with my teammates Bachi and ts and we came up with a couple of ideas... it was a quite productive evening. We discussed what we like about other maps, what makes a map well playable, into which direction we wanted to go.

The next day I installed BZEdit and started putting something together... the result was a first version which already showed some potential. We played a 2on2 funmatch on the map and liked the basic layout. Bachi and me met a few times in the following days to improve and extend the world. Now I can say that we have finished the playability part - there is still some work to do about optimization, such as correcting overlapping boxes, maybe replace some stuff with meshes, use custom textures, etc... but its time for an open beta to get some feedback. :)

We have a two-team ctf-map, settings should be
-ms 3
-j
+r
-tk
-c
-mp 0,m,0,0,m,n

This sounds like hix? Indeed - we have some similarities. As we thought that hix's boxheights are pretty much perfect we adopted them. So, if you have played hix before you might have an easier start on our map. Gameplay is totally different though and isnt similar in any way I can see.

We have played a few funmatches now and as far as I can judge (being one of the authors) I really loved it and it would probably make a good league. But judging is up to you, so I wont go further on that. ;)

A few screenshots:
www.saturos.de/s/octo1.jpg
www.saturos.de/s/octo3.jpg
www.saturos.de/s/octo2.jpg

The file is attached, feel free to put it on your server if you like. If you want to test it:
87.230.24.230:5154 runs it.

Thanks go to
benji, ts, Upsetter, SAMY for excessive testing and to TRAC for testing and hosting the server.

Bachi&Satu
Attachments
octocage.bzw
(9.4 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I like this map a lot. It's both creative and has good gameplay and ricochets. I've played on it some, and it was pretty fun. If someone makes a league out of this, I'd be happy.

Good map.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

This map would be great for a league :) Great playability I found on it!
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

This is a great map (for some reason, I played on it and did somewhat well :o )
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Unfortunately TRAC's server went down (will be back by the end of the week I hope) but somebody else is hosting our map now.
Check it out at succexy.com:5154
I have no idea who runs that server but thanks for hosting! ;)
(Seems to be located in the US btw..)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Very nice map, guys. Good ricochets, jump heights, and positioning in general. I'm always glad to see joint map-making, and you guys really worked well together.

As for making another league based around one map? Nah... HiX has done that well in the GU League. And the with the new TriX league, I doubt another HiX-like map will be necessary as a whole other league.

Huzzah and pickles!
dw