MDG's Freeform Map Challenge '07!

General talk about the map making process.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

MDG's Freeform Map Challenge '07!

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Remember BZOgami? Well, this year, the Map Development Group have decided to stage a new map competition, open to the entire BZFlag community. We have done our best to construct a fair contest whereby there are four awards to win. All maps, 1.x and 2.0 alike, have a chance of winning!

As the name might suggest, this is a map contest where the only limit is your imagination. The main rule is that every square millimeter of your map needs to be your own work.

There will be four awards :-

The Playability Award - to the mapper that has put the most thought into allowing play to run smoothly. To aim for a high playability score you should think about things like size and lengths of jumps; balance between open ground and dense buildings; a fast-paced, challenging FFA; encouraging a balanced CTF game.

The Eye-Candy Award - to the mapper that has put time and effort into giving the map good quality materials and texturing, with use of 2.0 objects that make the map stand out as an exiting and fun map.

The Concept and Ingenuity Award - for the map that has the most interesting new idea, or solves a particular problem in an interesting and inventive way. To gain a high score here, you really need to think about the tools you have and how you can use them to create a new experience for the player.

The All-Rounder Award - the map which best encompasses all of the above. Remember, a map which has a nice mix of everything, and you don’t necessarily need full marks in every section; just a high overall score.

You have a full month to submit your maps, so roll up your sleeves, dust off your BZEdit (or text-editor - or 3D modeler) and have a go!

For the full rules, and information on how to enter, visit the website:
http://mybzflag.net/?page_id=94
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

I'm game, I'll get to modding my old creations for this one.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Okay, I am going wait till BZWorkBench comes out. And then start my map :).
Also, will LouMan be out of the competition? He'll thrash us all in every award.
And will you be able to win more than one award?
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Can one submit more than one map?

Edit: Nevermind. How stupid of me not to notice that.
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

On http://mybzflag.net/?page_id=94 Quote:

"• Each map maker may submit up to two maps. We will crosscheck."
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I think each person can only win one award.
Louman can enter if he would like to, but everyone else still has a great chance.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Just a reminder those who are wishing to participate and have not already sent in their maps now have 10 (ten) days left to send in their maps.

For more info check Spazzy's post in the beginning of this topic.

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

Another reminder - there are two days left until the end of the challenge. Hurry up and finish the last tweaking if you still want to submit your map.

-Tanner

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

OK, we’ve had a couple of you guys asking if it would be possible to extend the deadline a little… and since we’re such great guys, we did just that! You have one extra week to send in your creations!

We’ve already had a bunch of maps, and before any of you start crying out that you didn’t have time to finish yours off properly before the deadline, those that have already sent maps in can re-send any updates - just make it clear in your email, to avoid confusion.

Also, it would be useful if any submissions from now on could be labeled as “FINAL”, so some of our judges can get to work marking them - we’ve got a hell of a lot to mark!!

Just to reiterate, you have one more week to send in your maps - the new deadline is Monday 24 September!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
The Frog Master
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Frog Master »

Ohhh, I'm so excited!!!!! :D
Ummmm, yea, errrrrr, hi, hey, is this thing on??
Probably not, oh well, ahhhh, wellll, the thing is... ahh tarnation, who cares.
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

And the map submissions stop......now!

We will start to judge the maps in the next few days. When we are done we will announce the winners both on our site and here as well.

Thanks to those who submitted and good luck. :)

-Tanner