Overlord Map

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Imperium
Private
Private

Overlord Map

Post by Imperium »

I love this map, the CTF style one, can we get more people constantly on it?

Nobody is ever on it at all......
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Played today. Twenty-six players. It was great! However, the teams were unbalanced with respect to players' abilities.

There was another thread on the bb about trying to balance teams because players tend to leave if the teams are grossly mismatched. The blue team had excellent players, and they ruled (my 11 year old daughter and I were red). :wink:

This is a classic map. There were a lot of dedicated Overlord (and Babel) players before the prior server (rotation) went offline, and many if not most of those players are still around. It's just a matter of getting a few players on the map, then more will come.
Imperium
Private
Private

Post by Imperium »

Thanks to all who are joining and playing it :)

Just upset it's crashing tonight....
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Imperium wrote:Thanks to all who are joining and playing it :)

Just upset it's crashing tonight....
When I was playing again, I was apparently the only player with connection problems.
Imperium
Private
Private

Post by Imperium »

Lets get this map goin tonight :) I want it to be a nice big fight!
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

it's the most fun ctf map ever imo. spent months there two years ago.. had a nice game going for a while the other night. yes, let's keep it alive, even if it means waiting a bit for others to join.
badgerking
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by badgerking »

Who's hosting this one? I haven't seen it in the server list. This has to be my favorite map, after mine of course :wink:
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

badgerking wrote:Who's hosting this one? I haven't seen it in the server list. This has to be my favorite map, after mine of course :wink:
ShadowCat, Grans Remedy, and maybe Brad? All just off the top of my head.

EDIT: Nevermind the top of my head... looks like Grans Remedy and ShadowCat are indeed hosting it. :)
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Also played babel the night before last. There was a fairly large group, both experienced and newer players.
XLR8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by XLR8 »

I just visited Overlord's CTF map. I remember that map being the first one I ever played on, though that area in my memory is a little... foggy. It is very fun, I remember, when lots of players join, and I think they should more often.

Though, if I had to change some things, I would make the time-spent-holding-bad-flags lower. 10 seconds is a little too much. Also, I think it's a little too open and laser flag would be especially deadly there, both to the enemy and to the team who has the laser-sniper. The tanks move a little slow, too, though that is minor.

Overall, it's a great map. I like the structure of the towers near the bases. This map makes a good point which is that a map doesn't have to be too complex to be successful or fun. Some people (such as myself :| ) fail to realize that, and it can create lag problems, or getting stuck on something.

-XL
"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself."
-- Peter O'Toole

"If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button."
-- Sam Leventon
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

XLR8 wrote:Though, if I had to change some things, I would make the time-spent-holding-bad-flags lower. 10 seconds is a little too much. Also, I think it's a little too open and laser flag would be especially deadly there, both to the enemy and to the team who has the laser-sniper. The tanks move a little slow, too, though that is minor.
Aren't we glad it's not up to you to change it ;) I like how it all is, laser, yea can get annoying when your teammate shoots on the ground floor and ends up hitting 5 players of the same team. All good fun though.
A Hobo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Hobo »

XLR8 wrote:Though, if I had to change some things, I would make the time-spent-holding-bad-flags lower. 10 seconds is a little too much. Also, I think it's a little too open and laser flag would be especially deadly there, both to the enemy and to the team who has the laser-sniper. The tanks move a little slow, too, though that is minor.
That is the reason veterans players dominate at that map, not meaning to turn newer players away, but the more experience one has, the easier it is to survive when you have a bad flag/even get a kill to get rid of it.

Ya, laser is annoying. That is where teamwork comes in. :wink:

The tank speed is perfect, it just seems slower because the middle is more open than most maps.

IMO, Babel and Overlord are up in the top "best planned/created maps".