Tower of BZ #1

Previews and comments on future maps.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Here are some Screen shots of all 5, floors.
Attachments
bzfi0141.jpg
(694.46 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
bzfi0142.jpg
(545.49 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
bzfi0139.jpg
(719.4 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
bzfi0140.jpg
(515.79 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

And here, the 5th.
Attachments
bzfi0143.jpg
(852.46 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Thanks for the screenshots, ducktape! Just so everybody knows, they aren't quite in order from first to fifth floor.

Since there haven't been any new additions to floors as of yet, I'm going to go ahead and host the server with a five story tower until another comes. Just don't want this to die. If it does happen to lose interest, a five story tower isn't bad, and we can just release it at that.

Here's the map file! Map has been hosted at bzflag.norang.ca:5171.
Attachments
final-tower-collaborationbb.bzw
Hosted v0.5.
(37.07 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Worst case scenario: we each get to make two floors :)

I'll drop by and check out the map later today if I get a chance.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Alright Here is my tower, DW was wanting me to make one So here it is. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
tower3.JPG
(114.89 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
tower2.JPG
(114.55 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
tower1.JPG
(116.39 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
towerdefault(d-tapes).bzw
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

:roll: I feel silly for not testing this, but I joined the server and found that my teles have to be jumped through, which suggests that they are 1 unit too deep. I frequently make this mistake, increasing the position by 0 0 1 should fix it up! :oops:
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Rolling Eyes I feel silly for not testing this, but I joined the server and found that my teles have to be jumped through, which suggests that they are 1 unit too deep. I frequently make this mistake, increasing the position by 0 0 1 should fix it up!
Actually, nobody made a mistake positioning their teleporters. People made mistakes with their roofs being at different heights! :P Some had raised theirs to 45 units high with 1 unit tall, making it a 100x100x46... some x47... and some kept it right at 45 units high, including the actual height of the object used for the floor/roof.

I've fixed the teles and added ducktape's floor! New version is up at norang!

Four floors to go! Way to go!
Alright Here is my tower, DW was wanting me to make one So here it is. Let me know what you think.
Er, I encouraged you too! Don't want you giving up on mapping, and this isn't a hard thing to do at all. Tanks for your addition! Looks good! Nice to see a floor not totally crammed. :)
Attachments
final-tower-collaborationbbb.bzw
Ever notice how the number of b's keeps growing? Just how I name my files! Weave me bwee...
(39.91 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Warinthestar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Warinthestar »

Ok, bit empty but I did it in a few minutes... Hopefully, marginally, playable... Hope I got the height right.
Attachments
Level 7 (Warin).bzw
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I've added warinthestar's floor to the map! Wow, seven floors already! Didn't think it would make it this tall. Thanks to everybody making this work.

So, here's the file. Unfortunately, fps has dropped dramatically, for some unknown reason. I think I get on average about 30-50 fps, and another player said he had half his normal frames-per-second. Some alteration of teleporter heights seemed to cause it somehow. So, therefore, I wanted to ask you guys about some options:

A. Make two towers of five floors each - this would allow possible CTF (one tower per team) or other gameplay ideas, plus make it not take so long to get around, plus reduce lag/fps problems.

B. Stop at seven floors.

C. Keep going to ten floors and possibly have lag problems, but a mega-awesome-map.

Or, if you have any other ideas, feel free to let me know! There will always be a tad of lag with these megamaps... especially collaborative maps. But they're really fun to make. 8)
Attachments
final-tower-collaborationbbbb.bzw
Up to four b's... :p
(42.88 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

I Like the 2-tower CTF idea, but just a single FFA tower also sounds good, so hey, why can't we do both? I've seen multiple servers with variations on a single map. Maybe we could do rabbit hunt too, that would be cool in a big tower. Also, i don't really see why we need that huge pyramid on top. It looks nice in the editor, but nobody in the game actually sees it and it might be contributing to the FPS/lag problem.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Alright I changed my vote. I think we should Stop at 7 or go to 10. But whatever we do, We should add stairs to go up and down each level.
Last edited by ducktape on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Actually, we could do 9 "towers", each one with just one floor, arranged in a 3x3 grid on the map. That would also remove the problem with the radar (It's hard to tell where people are).

If we're doing a CTF map, then both towers would probably have to be symmetrical.

I also like the idea of a wabbit hunt. It seems like the sort of map that lends itself to a HTW. We should probably get rid of ST flag for that game though :wink:

Unrelated: We should try to set up a game where all the contributors are online at once.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Quantum Tank wrote:I Like the 2-tower CTF idea, but just a single FFA tower also sounds good, so hey, why can't we do both? I've seen multiple servers with variations on a single map. Maybe we could do rabbit hunt too, that would be cool in a big tower. Also, i don't really see why we need that huge pyramid on top. It looks nice in the editor, but nobody in the game actually sees it and it might be contributing to the FPS/lag problem.
We could indeed do both ideas, or even the third rabbit hunt idea. However, that leaves room for an entire new project, if you guys want a fresh start per style. For that matter, we could have a ctf tower collaboration, where up to four people make a small tower of their own for their team... with limitations, of course. My vote, personally, is to just finish the normal free-for-all-ten-floor-tower. :)

As for the pyramid, I have it there, because I don't have another way to prevent spawning on the roof as of now... and I can't think of any at the moment apart from zones. I was trying to avoid those... at least I could lower the height of the pyramid. Or, if you guys don't mind spawning on the roof, I'll just put a normal tele up there to let people down to the normal floor...
Joe-Schmoe wrote:Actually, we could do 9 "towers", each one with just one floor, arranged in a 3x3 grid on the map. That would also remove the problem with the radar (It's hard to tell where people are).

If we're doing a CTF map, then both towers would probably have to be symmetrical.

I also like the idea of a wabbit hunt. It seems like the sort of map that lends itself to a HTW. We should probably get rid of ST flag for that game though ;)

Unrelated: We should try to set up a game where all the contributors are online at once.
Actually, there was a project similar to this that happened about half a year to a year ago. It didn't work out too well, and while that's a good idea (each person make their own cube for a fraction of the map), I think it should wait for another project.

CTF doesn't always have to be symmetrical, but you have a point, so we'll probably just continue on our normal idea.

Map looks good for rabbit hunt. If a server wants it that way they can set it. :)

And it would be really fun to get all the people involved in the project to play at once! Unfortunately, we're all really busy right now, I'd say...

All my opinion... but of course you all have the main say in this. Whatever you guys choose I'll try to help with.

Thanks again,
dw
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

As I said before:
ducktape wrote:Alright I changed my vote. I think we should Stop at 7 or go to 10. But whatever we do, We should add stairs to go up and down each level.
I'm With you dw Lets do this tower a Free-for-all Map. THen lets do a CTF map, Then a rabbit chase map. I'm gladly willing to help with anything I can.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I put the final version (for now) up @ bzflag.norang.ca:5171. Sorry for the halt in progress, but I'm very busy as of right now. So we're stopping at seven floors (for the time being, at least). If three more people want to post their map files I can try to add the floors sometime in the future, though when, I don't know yet.

Go check out the map! It's really neat. 8) We've got a rabbit chase on our hands, folks.