BZPod

External websites, for and about BZFlag
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZPod

Post by Legolas_ »

Hello there guys, I have decided to rebuild BZPod as a fully functioning, bi-weekly podcast. Anyone can submit audio (Without background music.) to be put into the podcast. The first podcast theme is the New BZFlag Wiki.

Topics to be discussed:
  • How it got started
    How it grew
    How you can edit
    Topics that need to be added
    Current progress?
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Where would we downoad this from ?

Where would we send audio ?

Can you give me advice on making my signiture image ? (kinda just sneeked that one in there ;)

Would the point of it to be so you can listen to the BZFlag forum out-side?

And finaly , could you on the podcast tell us how to make our signitures under our names pictures ?
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

Ok, let me make this clearer, the podcast would be found on iTunes and online. It would be besides the point to do a bzflag podcast on how to make a signature, that would be a photoshop podcast. What i could do would be to make a video podcast showing bzart saturos, me1, palomides, romfis, Links, other people, and I have made.

If you would like to send audio, send send it to: bzlegon@bzlego.net

You could also send me a block of text, ill edit it, and record it myself.

Thanks
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Hello, this is A Vicious Muffin speaking on behalf of Legolas_ about BZPod. We have decided to work on this project again, as its first "Release" was somewhat...tragic. Starting off on a brand new page, we've restarted what was a very good idea. Again, BZPod will be back, probably before the end of August, Maybe September. Instead of what was suggested, we'll have topics such as Information on the game for newbies, Map Making, Tactics, Info on Leagues, and other topics you may suggest. What we are also thinking about doing is having interviews such as: people from different leagues to tell about their league and the styles and skills in them, the Map Development Group's tutorials, and other people that have made contributions to the game that might make good podcasting. We are setting up a website for the podcast. However, hosting is not cheap. If anyone can spare a bit of pocket change to help pay for hosting, or, if anyone has hosting that they can provide, it will be greatly appreciated and will be mentioned in the podcast. Hopefully, we'll get this back up and running, soon enough to release a podcast in the next few weeks or so! :)

If you would like to help, send a private message to either Legolas_ or A Vicious Muffin.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:However, hosting is not cheap. If anyone can spare a bit of pocket change to help pay for hosting, or, if anyone has hosting that they can provide, it will be greatly appreciated and will be mentioned in the podcast.
Hosting is pretty cheap (5$ a month for a webserver), but Ill give you a FTP account, if you're interested. PM me.

Here are some hosting accounts:
1 and 1 webhosting
dreamhost
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Just a thought - IMHO, the whole "Information for newbs and map makers" angle doesn't really work for this kind of medium, the reason being that anybody that already knows the basics has to wait weeks to hear something that they don't already know. This is why people who are after map making advice and game information are more likely to look to text-based media, such as the wiki and forums.

What I think would get you guys a bigger listening base would be to branch out into things like league news, new maps, etc, and provide enough more wide-spread topics, so listeners can just flick through and listen to what 'articles' they want.

My 2p
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

Yes, we are looking into that as well Spazzy. Perhaps we could include information based on league standings from the last podcast, top 3 teams in each league, blow-out matches etc.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZPod is Released.

BZPod episode 1 is now released. If you would like to listen, go to here. It will also become available in iTunes once it is approved.

If you have any comments or questions, please send a private message to Legolas_ or me, and we'll answer them for you.

Thanks to the MDG for their cooperation. Enjoy. :)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Hey, guys, off to an ok start! Maybe make it a little shorter/not so drawn out. In some spots, it lost my attention. I love how you guys work hard on being very clear. I look forward to the next one. :)

dw
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

B zee pod?
You mean B zed pod?
You yanks crack me up :)
Over all, good, the sound quality could have been clearer at the beggining. And a lot of the information you where giving out was already widely known. Try to sound a bit more confident in your voices, like a television presenter. Keep it up! :)
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

I have to admit, I can agree with PETER... Being Canadian, its always been B Zed. No offense to everyone else.

Interesting hearing Legolas, AVM, and CBG.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

This goes kind of off topic, but who can guess what kind of accent CBG has?

It doesn't count if you knew before you heard him!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I liked it a lot. Great job guys!
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

I thought CBG's accent would have been a little more welsh (I don't know why). Perhaps in the pod you could talk about drawn info, and give more detail on BZWB.
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Great Job!

Post by trainee »

Great intro music!

Loved listening to you guys speaking.

You were all great. I can't decide if CBG should play a young James Bond in the next movie or anchor the BBC news.

And I now know how to pronounce Legolas' name.

I have never met another BZ player in person, except my eldest daughter and her friend, and it was fun to hear other players speaking, especially my teammate AVM.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

I listened to it, and overall, I thought it was good. Your content was focused and concise, however, I think it was almost a little too concise. You even skipped the tactics section (not that I would need it, though). I understand that this kind of an undertaking costs money and time, but if you get the chance, I would encourage you to go on, and don't be restrained to 10 minutes podcasts. As this podcast matures, you, and your audience will form different views about what content is most important to them, and what is not and can be gotten rid of, so you are on the right track content wise.

Another matter to consider is the aesthetics of the podcast. Your voices were a little fuzzy, except for the interview with CBG, which was a nice touch. It would be nice if you two would acknowledge each other's existence more than once in a single episode and give it kind of a "play by play" and "color commentating" aspect. Right now it sounds like you are reading facts from a sheet of paper, and you would only need one person for that (unless it was an interview).

Summary: Don't restrain yourself in terms of content, and lay back a little in terms of aesthetics. Keep up the good work.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I agree. Perhaps you could record it in a VoIP conversation, so you can get a more conversational style.

And you might want to tighten up your audio editing, it sounds a little fragmented in places!

Anyhow, sounds good!
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

A Distraction wrote:Another matter to consider is the aesthetics of the podcast. Your voices were a little fuzzy, except for the interview with CBG, which was a nice touch. It would be nice if you two would acknowledge each other's existence more than once in a single episode and give it kind of a "play by play" and "color commentating" aspect. Right now it sounds like you are reading facts from a sheet of paper, and you would only need one person for that (unless it was an interview).
I agree, and in future episodes, I think we will do this. It sounds like a more natural conversation, and could be a bit more comfortable. We tried to get this out fast, and I think we could've done a little more work on it if we had more time.

Thanks for all the comments.
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

I just listened to it, it was highly entertaining to hear the different people's voices. It would be great if you can make sure there is at least one new voice from the BZFlag ranks each time. (BZedFlag, lol, I'm going to say that from now on.)

Try to eliminate the background noise as much as possible, I have a feeling that perhaps Legolas' mic is closer to his computer than it should be.

The league news seemed long, though I think it is good that the league teams get some publicity. Perhaps it will bring some more interest and new recruits. Maybe just speed up the pace in that segment. For the podcast in general I think people want short and often.

Overall it was a great job, it was obvious that you put a lot of work into it. I am glad you stepped in to provide the service. Keep it up!
this signature intentionally left blank
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Great Job.!
It would be great if you can make sure there is at least one new voice from the BZFlag ranks each time. (BZedFlag, lol, I'm going to say that from now on.)
I would agree with Tedius on this.

It is good to put a voice with the name