Trouble with spawnzones

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Trouble with spawnzones

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Hi,

I'm working on a map, and I want to make a spawnzone. I looked on the wiki for how to do this, and it all works fine BUT:

*When I spawn, I spawn way up in the air.

*I get an error message in the bzfs window that says "SpawnPolicy ran out of time, just dropping the sucker in"

*The X and Y coordinates are correct

The spawnzone in question is:

Code: Select all

zone 
  size 10 1 1
  pos 350 0 11
  team 0 1 2 3 4
end
Is it simply too narrow? I also have boxes on either side of this spawnzone, and when I make the zone wider, the tanks always spawn on top of those boxes. Is there any way to fix this without moving the boxes further apart? I have searched the wiki and the forums and couldn't find anything.

Note: I have _setTankLength 2.8, (same as width) does that affect the zone in any way?

Thanks in advance.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

*I get an error message in the bzfs window that says "SpawnPolicy ran out of time, just dropping the sucker in"
This just means that BZFS has stopped trying to find you a safe place to spawn. Try putting '-sb' in your map file or server config if you don't already have it. This will allow tanks to spawn on buildings. You might also have a world weapon or physics driver that is preventing you from spawning in a safe place.

Making the spawn zone wider is just giving you more possible places to spawn, this may include a spot over a box.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

A spawn zone the size of 10 1 1 is VERY tiny. This is pretty much like every tank spawning right on each other, and as A Distraction has stated before, use -sb to allow the spawning on buildings. Try making your spawn zone around 125 65 1 and see what happens. (Giving an example)
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I have -sb in the options, so it's not that...

Hehe...I do have some death physics though. But only a couple of them are in places one is likely to spawn, I doubt they are the cause.

Which brings me to size. Such is the nature of this map that I cannot have tanks spawning on top of the two boxes. I increased the X and Z dimensions of the zone;

Code: Select all

zone 
  size 360 1 130
  pos 0 0 11
  team 0 1 2 3 4 
end
but I got the same result as before. And increasing Y simply puts the tanks on top of the boxes, which is outside the area where I want people to be able to go. However this does eliminate the error message, so I'm sure that's what's causing it. Is there some way to get it so that even when Y includes those boxes, I don't spawn on them?

I could theoretically make it so you spawn in a large room, and then teleport to where I want the action to take place. I'd like to avoid that solution if possible, but if there's no other way then I'll have to do it.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The spawn zone is not large enough for a tank to fit inside. If you specify spawn zones, tanks can only spawn in those areas. Therefore, it cannot find a valid location for the tank, so it just drops them in.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Okay, thanks for all your help, I'll just go with the teleporter idea then. The finished map should be up soon...