Program assisted map making vs writing by hand

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
max_power
Private
Private

Program assisted map making vs writing by hand

Post by max_power »

Do "simpler" maps , mainly those written by hand, have any game play speed advantages over more complicated maps? I've been playing around with building maps in both Wings3d and by hand and have wondered about this issue. Does a simple map like viper offer "better" game play over, for example, louman's Desktop*?

Thanks,
max

* If you haven't played louman's Desktop yet please go try it right now (search for "desktop" under servers). It's like playing in a piece of art work. Absolutely amazing. Also try jumping on the eraser. =)
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I once built a map with BZEdit that was just a 400x400 grid of boxes, each at different heights. As soon as I turned to look towards the center, the framerate became unusable. So yes, in extreme situations, a map can simply be "too complex".

However I don't think any maps such as Desktop (which I agree is a piece of art) differ too much from things like Passion, because while the former is much more complex than the latter, the difference probably isn't enough to make a huge effect on processing speed :)
Join MI6!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There are both complex mesh maps and simple box maps that offer great gameplay.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

The game speed (I think you are referring to framerate, (press 't')) should be taken into consideration by anyone making maps. A well made modeled map, like those of Louman's, can often be more efficient than one made in BZEdit or by hand.

In general I don't think simply adding textures will slow down the framerate. The main issue is the number of polygons being drawn on the screen at a given moment. If you have to stack 30 meshpyrs to create a structure that could be done with a single simple mesh, then you would be much better off with the mesh. If you are modeling a cube, it would be less trouble and just as efficient to create a meshbox.
this signature intentionally left blank
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And the 'box' object is faster than the 'meshbox' object, while still allowing textures and physics drivers. ( assuming a version of bzfs newer than 2.0.8 )
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Tedius wrote:If you are modeling a cube, it would be less trouble and just as efficient to create a meshbox.
Actually, a modelled cube (or a plain 1.x box) has 12 triangles, while a meshbox has 16. ;)

Anyway, there is a LOT of optimization that can be done, especially with mesh maps. Sparse, simple maps probably run best, but Louman's modeling is optimized to a degree that works fine in most clients.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Tedius wrote:The main issue is the number of polygons being drawn on the screen at a given moment
I have a problem with this on my maps so far... Its quite hard to keep the map simple for certain things.