Heres my new map. with config and codeing
Attachments
the funniest ctf wings battle server you will ever play.map
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Um well Its "ok" I guess. Why dont you check out the Wiki for help on map making. http://my.bzflag.org/w/Category:Map_Making

Here are some screenshots.
Attachments
bzfi0148.jpg
(818.21 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
bzfi0149.jpg
(572.18 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
bzfi0150.jpg
(555.37 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by red comander »

How did you get screen shots of my map? i cant even get on my map.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

red comander wrote:How did you get screen shots of my map? i cant even get on my map.
He ran the .bzw file through a local bzfs (BZFlag Server) and joined with a client and took screenshots.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by red comander »

What? wheres the bzfs file? and are you still going to host the map blast?
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

The bzfs file should be in the same folder as the game.

To run it, you'll need to use a command prompt (if you're using windows...I don't know how otherwise). There should be a button that says "command prompt" in the start menu somewhere. It'll open a little black window up. You have to tell it to change drives by typing in "cd" and then the location of the bzflag folder (usually "C:\program files\bzflag"). Then press enter. Then you have to type in "bzfs" and press enter to start a server.

However, this will create a server with a randomly generated map. To start one with a map you made instead of just "bzfs", type in "bzfs -world [filename of your world here]".

A more in-depth way of explaining it is here, just skip all the stuff about the server being public, by default it will be private IIRC.
Join MI6!
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slon02 »

or if you're too lazy to do that, the map editor pybzedit can start a local server also.
Current Server: hosting.BZADDICT.net:5173
Former Server: Fairserve.bzflag.org:5259
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

red comander wrote:and are you still going to host the map blast?
Nope.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by red comander »

Ok then i still need someone to host it.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Yeah yeah, thats nice and all, but there are only so many server owners who will host things.

No point in forcing a map down the communities throat, if they like it, then someone will host the map.
By going "SUM1 PLZ HOST MAI MAPP", you won't really gain any more positive support for the map...

Most mappers get only a few select maps hosted. For example, I currently have 40-some maps, and only 1 (or 2?) are hosted.

If you don't agree with any of this, then maybe you should get a VPS (about 20-60$ a month), or a server (50$+ a month), and host the maps yourself...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's not that great of a map, really. If you weren't able to even run the map yourself, I'm betting it will have playability issues. That's part of map development: testing your map. Sure, it might look okay in the editor...

red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by red comander »

yah i know about the maps not getting hosted and all but i want this one hosted because im so frusterated with the other people that have tried hosting it one had it for 5 months and never got it up.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

red comander wrote:yah i know about the maps not getting hosted and all but i want this one hosted because im so frusterated with the other people that have tried hosting it one had it for 5 months and never got it up.
Do you wander why? Check out the Wiki i posted. Fix it up. Then maybe someone will want to host it.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

ducktape wrote:Do you wander why? Check out the Wiki i posted. Fix it up. Then maybe someone will want to host it.
I really fail to see the link between working on the Wiki and someone wanting to host your map..

After all, the quality of the Wiki has nothing to do with the quality of your map.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Winny wrote:
ducktape wrote:Do you wander why? Check out the Wiki i posted. Fix it up. Then maybe someone will want to host it.
I really fail to see the link between working on the Wiki and someone wanting to host your map..

After all, the quality of the Wiki has nothing to do with the quality of your map.
Although the Wiki can teach you how to better your maps, and how to completely use the map editor. If your map looks better, if things line up the some hoster might like your map.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Winny wrote:

I think he meant fix up the map, not fix up the wiki.
Join MI6!
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

Honestly Red Commander- its not a great map- Its a good start and I think youll get better- actually I know- but do taker a look at the wiki- its the most helpful thing on this side of the sun....

But also- I would highly suggest planning your maps first- when you dont things turn out uneven and unplayable...

If you are thinking "Thats stupid" or "I dont have the patience for that!" then ur not a mapper....

Its a hard fact of life...
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
red comander
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by red comander »

OK well heres the thing this is my first map ever. And i wanted to see how it goes, i made this on bzedit. And i need someone to tell me what exactly to do and help me understand how to use the harder map makers such as blender etc. But not like on the forums or something else. I want somebody to go on aim or something with me and tell me exactly what to do step by step.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Good luck with that, if you expect someone to teach you Blender over AIM. Blender has a steep learning curve that can take weeks/months to learn (depending on how much time you have to devote to it). I doubt anyone will have that much patience with teaching you that over AIM. There are several tutorials on how to use Blender on the internet. Learn Blender, then ask specific questions. The best place to ask them would be here.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

Wiki.... plain and simple- the wiki is the perfect guide... it goes at your pace, is always there, and doesnt mind if you keep going back to something.

Also- keep at bzedit or learn to hand code for now- blender and wings3d have a relativly large learning curve... youll just waste time...

If you want use my aim or msn link down on the bottom of this post and ask for help... Just Identify yourself as red commander so I know.
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

donny_baker wrote:Good luck with that, if you expect someone to teach you Blender over AIM. Blender has a steep learning curve that can take weeks/months to learn (depending on how much time you have to devote to it). I doubt anyone will have that much patience with teaching you that over AIM. There are several tutorials on how to use Blender on the internet. Learn Blender, then ask specific questions. The best place to ask them would be here.
Here's an excellent resource on blender in general:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

And Teppic's wiki on bzwtools:
http://wiki.teppic.homelinux.net/index.php/Main_Page