improving lag on a network ~ help

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

improving lag on a network ~ help

Post by The Red Baron »

Perhaps some of you know, There are two Barons. We often play on the same servers, Or try.

However, we always have a high lag when we are on the same server. Or Baron2, can kill people, and I cannot. Yet people can still kill me. I have cable coming into a router, and our computers connect into the router. What do you advise?

COnfused?????
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I haven't the foggiest about what's going on... but I will tell you that this is a somewhat common problem. I talked to some guys (when I was looking for a broadband provider) that had the exact same trouble with other online games. I think it was something to do with IP assignment?
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

okay this is the setup.

Cable comes into modem. service is provided via network with a router as Firewall. Cable modems hooks up to router via network line, Not USB. 3 computers hook into router. Any advice for decreasing lag when on the same servers. WE have no problem when on different servers, It is when we sign on to the same server that lag, and NR happens.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

I can not offer any real advice, But i can confirm that I have the same problem. It seems to occur right away, but it always happens within 10-15 minutes. I always wondered if the router/server get confused because you are sending/recieving data to the same location, same port, and in real time.

If anyone can offer advice on this, I would also be interested.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

found this on google:
I think a feature called 'NAT trigger tags' is required for multiple LAN PC's to use the same inbound ports simultaneously behind a NAT box.

I think you're on top of what I was originally looking for - where the outbound trigger's IP destination allows that IP (and only that IP) to forward back. This way, only attempting the same server would conflict.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

and what is 'NAT trigger tags'??

I don't quite understand your last post.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

neither do i, but that was a dicussion in "some" forum about a similar problem. They indicated that the issue has to do with the firewalls.

sorry, thats where my info drops out
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

what make is the router, I have heard these problems but only with linksys routers, as they suck in a most complete and total way.

And also moving this topic to help where it belongs.
ImageJeffM
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

Some UDP protocols have problems with people behind NAT. The bzflag protocol has been enhaced to get more NAT friendly. With 1.7g2 there usually shouldn onl ybe problems when two people who are behind the same NAT join at about the same time. When one player joins first, then drives around, it should be safe for the other to join. The problem is the handshake / guessing that is done to be able to assign UDP packets to players.

If I remember correctly, 1.9 implemens a real handshake now (or at least we plan to do it) so it should be able to cope with all situations.

If the server is confused about the mapping of ports to player slots, strange things can happen. One of these things is that lagstats show weird values or lots of lost packets.

If you just encounter somewhat higher lagstat values, though, then it seems to be a different problem.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

You are no help Jeff. I have a linksys router. Bummer. What router do you suggest?

Chestal. You described exatly what happens. Lag is not that bad. It is lost packets.
Chestal wrote:With 1.7g2 there usually should be only problems when two people who are behind the same NAT join at about the same time. When one players joins first, then drives around, it should be safe for the other to join
tried that. Sometimes it works, sometimes is doesn't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

May I reccomend a Gigafast router? They're really cheap and run very nicely. :)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

I have no current problems with my Linksys. Unless it has something to do with playing bzflag.

Chestal,

Now that you mention the NAT with 1.7g2. I remember that we didn't have issues with the "handshake" with 1.7e6 or earlier. Has the code drastically changed sense then?
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

There have been some major changes with respect to the internal player id andthe reconnect port. I don't remember all of the details, though.

So, does the problem persist even when player A joins first, drives around, then player B joins?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I have heard some people get better results if they update there firmware. The UDP NAT features of the linksys nat is flawed. I have had several people confirm this.
ImageJeffM
julesthejackal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by julesthejackal »

Have you tried to upgrade the filmware to your router? I had the same problem on my LAN till I upgraded the filmware. Mine is an SMC router FYI. :?:
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

yes chestal. PLayer A joins, drives around, PLayer B joins. PLayer A, suddenly notices slowing down of server, tanks NR, and He can't kill anybody.

As to upgrading Filmware. What is it, and what is this NAT feature? Explain a little please.

Patlabor, for future reference, what do you router do you recommend?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I use a "gigafast" router, tho I have used D-link to much sucsess. The work well, and there HTTP config pages work on a every OS I've tried. and they are generaly cheaper then the linksys boxes.
ImageJeffM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Do i want to perform this firmware upgrade??

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=3
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

an upgrade shoudl only fix bugs, and not add new ones, so I don't see why not.
ImageJeffM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Well based on the description, it sounded like it would increase lag, not decrease it. I'll try it and see.

Also updated symptoms. Player A signs on and plays, Then Player B joins. Player A notices that tanks start to act laggy, ie, jumpy. Types lagstats and sees no problem. Meanwhile Player B has 1 of 2 problems. 1. He can either pick up flags, but cannot kill other tanks, tanks appear jumpy to him also. 2. He cannot pick up flags, and cannot kill other tanks. tanks still appear jumpy. Also, Player B is Not responding to Player A. However, Player B can see Player A just fine.

What does that suggest to you?
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Tried the firmware.

Does not help. Improves lag. but player A can kill tanks and PLayer B cannot. Player B can still be killed. I would appreciate help because my bro and I really like to play together and have been severely limited in playing.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Sounds like the same problems nidhogger had with his linksys, he eventualy went to a dlink and all the problems went away.
ImageJeffM
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

and I have had the same general problems with my linksys -- ditch it, and get a good router, imho.

Peace
Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

darn.

new router= money

money=something I am pressed for.

also

new router= convince dad this one stinks. not a likely possibility.

shall continue as is.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

step on old router
ImageJeffM