Official Games and lag

Discussions about the various leagues

LAG!

Yes, i agree.
50%
No Carnage your an idiot.
25%
Hmm i cant decide, i really hate you carnage.
25%

Total votes: 8

Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Official Games and lag

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

there is a team that HoW has match and im woundering if it should be offical the oponents lag went over 500 more then half the match, and alittle over 1000, the other oponent keep losing packets and was really hard 2 hit. even the observer said that the tank was laggy. the other team won but was it due to lag? should it be official? i need some feed back guys.
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

NO WAY! No one wants the other team to win not becasue of skill but of lag. Even i know what a match is like with a lagger.
teatree
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by teatree »

If i understand correctly the team you played against was over half of the time over 500 ms sometimes even 1000 and your lag was fine so about 0-150 ore - offically 300 and the observer didnt abourt and your team didnt team didnt do anything about it, i think that was your fault but im not really sure to be onist. The ref could had said something a warned most of the time but in my opinion i would say:
Both teams agreed at the beginning of the match it is offical ore already knowed it befour hand.
You complained about the lag but didnt stop the match so i think you both have to descuss it with the ref ....

But i must say 500 ms actually it should be not an offical one because the REALLY DAMN MAXIMUM is 300 ms, and i have really really big problems even hinting the over 150s because they already can jump very very mean

BTW your poll is is for me like i trap, I would like to hit the one i dont know what to do , but i hat carnage .... hmm actually i dont like that poll ver much this can be a reason of starting flaming BUT :D i will choose the 3rd one, But Carnage i do not hate you :)
teatree

legends may sleep ...
... but they never die!

http://my.bzflag.org/league
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you went along with it.. you should probabily stick by the match results. It's only common sense not to play when the lag is that bad.
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

I agree with tea about not stopping the match,but that much lag is terrible.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

I didn't play that match. However, I am going to be brutally, brutally honest.

Perhaps the thought process is like this. The opposite team is really laggy. Perhaps the opposite team is someone HoW can easily beat. We want the ratings and score so we figure we can put up with it. Comes out we lose, and probally due to the lag. We do not want the bad rap, or the disgrace of losing to a lower team. So we call on and claim lag. Which can be reasonable. 1000ms of lag is plan downright unacceptable.

THIS IS NOT A FLAME OR ACCUSATION! JUST A PORTRAIT OF HOW THE AVERAGE HUMAN HEART RATIONALIZES!

I put that in caps because there might be people out there who will take offence at my implications. I can only write what i wrote because that is how I would, and could think and rationalize. this is directed to no one in particular. this is directed to everyone in general.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

Carnage:
the oponents lag went over 500 more then half the match
...yes, it was really high, but not about 15 minutes or so...because we stopped playing after a few minutes with the high lag.

-tea|tree-:
You complained about the lag but didn't stop the match so i think you both have to descuss it with the ref ....
...which was the basic problem: There was no referee!
Maybe we should change the rules in that way that there must be a ref because this person is the only one who could come to a (more or less) fair decision. There are always players around to do this job.

There is something else I ever wanted to become a part of the code. The tank's positions and shots a.s.o. should be controlled by the server and not detected and 'reported' by the client. I know that this solution was discussed and rejected (and the arguments against it were solid...) but why do U think Quake changed to this kinda solution...?
Another problem that could be tackled with a server-side-controlled BZFlag are different forms of cheating. > I heared and saw a lot of things that suggested that even well known players use 'soft-cheats'.
(This has nothing to do with the match which is the base of this discussion but I wanted to write it here and now...because I normally don't write comments like this one...)

And my last comment to the described problem: It should and will be discussed and solved by the involved teams/players and not by a 'poll'!
-full stop-

<strayer>
Last edited by strayer on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm with ya on that, strayer. I don't think that it's really appropriate to "ask the community".. because what we think has no bearing on the outcome of the match.

As for having a ref for every match.. that could cause trouble. A lot of people don't like reffing.. or there isn't a capable ref around.. etc. That would limit matching severely.
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

legolas was there for the first about the 7 minutes, after the first catpure (about 25 minutes left) i complained about lag...
ask to stop the match but they continued, so i played a bit with laggy tanks, when there was 19.00 minutes left (second capture lag was lil over 300) i told them to restart the match the opopnet was losing packets, so for about a minute we argued then we continued to play, at the third capture theyre lag was over 500, and the last 1500 so we spent the last 5 minutes doing nothing because u if you cant hit your oponent (cause of lag) then why bother playing.
So strayer decided with me that instead of argueing we should rematch match last 20 minutes and give oponents 2 points.

BTW your poll is is for me like i trap, I would like to hit the one i dont know what to do
thats the point of it :)
but i hat carnage .... hmm actually i dont like that poll ver much this can be a reason of starting flaming BUT i will choose the 3rd one, But Carnage i do not hate you
sigh maybe if you were like dabomb you would hate me alot more, i know dabomb hates me cause i beat him in a match so if so if HoW beat TLZ you can hate me just as much :)
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

67 views and not person posted that they hate me. i am ashemed of you guys.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

If its official, and was not cancelled during the match, it needs to be entered. Considering this after the game is simple just too late. Would you have asked this question, if you won the match?

Enter it, ask for a rematch. Simpel.
I don't need huge pictures here.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

bingo dmp. You made your bed, now lay in it. Lag is a horrible thing, but since you finished the match, officially, the results should stand. After the fact retractions can be taken as poor sportsmanship. Just play 'em again.
It's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says: Hey, can you give me a hand? You can say: Sorry, got these sacks.
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

you dont understand i tried to cancle it.
teatree
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by teatree »

Well then that was too late ... sorry Carnage but [dmp] is right ...
teatree

legends may sleep ...
... but they never die!

http://my.bzflag.org/league
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

This is why I like a "warmup". That way you see if the other team (or yours for that matter) is going to be laggy. hat way you can make a decision to cancel the match or move it to another server BEFORE the match starts...
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image