[OUTDATED] 2.1.14 Pre-Alpha Test version

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

[OUTDATED] 2.1.14 Pre-Alpha Test version

Post by JeffM »

Today we have 2.1.14

This is an updated testing version for the 2.1 development code that will eventually be released as 3.0

It is completely incompatible with 2.0.x and will not work on old servers.

Windows Installer
http://beta.bzflag.bz/builds/2.1.x/bzflag-2.1.14.exe
(requires DirectX 7+)

All current builds for 2.1.x will always be at http://my.bzflag.org/builds/2.1.x/

Linux and mac folk must, as always, build from sources;
http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFlag_SVN

you want to use the trunk/bzflag URL for 2.1 code

This version includes a new font system that should look at lot better, and has the advantage of using real True Type fonts (.ttf) files directly.

Please remember that is is development code, there will be bugs, there will be issues, but the must be tested to be found out.

Thanks for your feedback.
Last edited by JeffM on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageJeffM
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Yay! I am loving the new mountains, and the radar shot guide. Something I have only just noticed, when browsing the options when using the up and down keys it effects the tank movement.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

The new mountain textures cause a "break" in the mountain ring.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that is a known issue.
ImageJeffM
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Yeah... When I was fixing the edges, I made a "mountain6.png" for some reason... just remove mountain6.png, and the edges line up fine...

(Jeff, maybe remove it from the SVN?)
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

I'm not sure how much I like being able to move around using the keyboard and navigate the menus at the same time. I think alot of people might get annoyed if they are trying to stay in one place and change some settings only to find themselves in the middle of a firefight, in the water, or in some other indesirable position. Is there a way to disable this? I hope it's not be blatently obvious because I don't want to look like a fool in front of everyone. :D
Last edited by Triumph of the Soul on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That is another bug it seems. The tank should not move forward and backward when navigating the menu.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

When me an Enigma where playing, he has TH and I had WG, he took it from me and the control panel said, "PETER took Enigma's flag". I can see people and what flag they have, like in obs....
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x235 ... fi0267.png
How do you turn it off?
And I like, I mean really really like the new lock on where you can see who your locking on to, so no excuses now :)
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x235 ... fi0273.png
Also, in the option where you can see tanks speed in obs beside their name, dose it turn red or something like that when a tank goes over the set speed limit, that would be good.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Wow it looks great! any idea when it well be released? Thanks to all the Mods working on this!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

ducktape wrote:Wow it looks great! any idea when it well be released? Thanks to all the Mods working on this!
We know exactly when it will be released!!! When it is done. :P

I will say that there has been quite a bit more development activity over the last month or two, and that the game is closer to release today than it was yesterday. From the talk on IRC, there is a definite consensus that a release should happen in the relatively near future. Key words "should" and "relatively". The real need is to persuade more developers to contribute to the cause.
Last edited by joevano on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Heh ok thanks.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: 2.1.14 Pre-Alpha Test version

Post by temporal distraction »

JeffM wrote:Please remember that is is development code, there will be bugs, there will be issues, but the must be tested to be found out.
Here's a bug - paused tanks can pick up flags
a temporal distraction: grabbed Wings flag
Paused
a temporal distraction: dropped Wings flag
a temporal distraction: grabbed Wings flag
Resumed
a temporal distraction: dropped Wings flag
a temporal distraction: grabbed Seer flag
Paused
a temporal distraction: dropped Seer flag
a temporal distraction: grabbed Laser flag
a temporal distraction: dropped Laser flag
a temporal distraction: grabbed Laser flag
Resumed
While carrying a flag, stop on top of another flag, pause normally without moving, original flag drops after server defined time, tank immediately picks up second flag, second flag drops, flies, and is picked up again, but not dropped a second time, unpause with second flag on tank.

Maybe a known issue?
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

When I try to connect to a server with bots using the -solo function, the client either crashes or I start joining, and then get a "unexpected disconnection" from the server, then couldn't join the server again. This happens whether or not -disableBots is in the configuration. I'm not sure if this matters at all, but when I ran bzfs.exe locally, after this happens, bzfs.exe keeps running, and roger (autopilot) does not have this same effect.

Note: If your running a 2.1.14 server, I probably accidentally did this to your server, so you should restart them. Sorry. :oops:

EDIT: It seems that only I can't connect to the servers, because one of the servers I can't connect to has three people on right now... :\
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

-solo bots don't work with 2.1.x, it is a known issue.
ImageJeffM
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

I've put a Mac OS X 10.4 PPC build to http://beta.bzflag.bz/builds/2.1.x/ (as usual).

donny_baker a release is not near, even the title says "Pre-Alpha". Things like jumping are not working correct for example.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

ts wrote:donny_baker a release is not near, even the title says "Pre-Alpha". Things like jumping are not working correct for example.
I was not saying that one would happen, I said the consensus was that one "should happen", and that we really need people to pitch in on the development.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

ts wrote:I've put a Mac OS X 10.4 PPC build to http://beta.bzflag.bz/builds/2.1.x/ (as usual).

donny_baker a release is not near, even the title says "Pre-Alpha". Things like jumping are not working correct for example.
He said relatively near. 2.0.8 was released in May of 2006. So relative to that amount of time, 2.2.0 is relatively near to a release, even if that means another 6 to 8 months. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Probably a known issue? The mountain ring is waaaay to small. On TB's shape testing server the mountain ring intersects with the map.
angryfirelord
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by angryfirelord »

I can't find the source for it. The link is broken & beta.bzflag.bz doesn't have a tarball. Is there a problem with the source?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the sources are in Subversion
ImageJeffM
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

I know this is a minor nit-pick, but I think the WG flag should be in the same class of flags that makes L, G, GM, SW labeled white on the scoreboard.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

a temporal distraction wrote:I know this is a minor nit-pick, but I think the WG flag should be in the same class of flags that makes L, G, GM, SW labeled white on the scoreboard.
Another nitpick: I would like st to be colored white as well.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Maybe a known issue?

When I downloaded it and installed it on my PPC iMac G5, it opened, went to a black screen, and immediately closed.

...just to put out yet another bug :P
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

that exploding tank wrote:Maybe a known issue?

When I downloaded it and installed it on my PPC iMac G5, it opened, went to a black screen, and immediately closed.

...just to put out yet another bug :P
This build is way old, so bug reports like this are pretty much useless to us. If you feel like compiling the latest SVN sources and seeing if the same problem occurs, that would be more helpful. The source code changes so fast that it's hard for us to tell/remember if problems have been fixed.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

I would like to help with this, I have put up my Chaos map for testing 2.1.X, it is on the public list.(the only one) feel free to have a go at testing. I also added a few LG flags.

ahs3.no-ip.org:5154

Thanks
ahs3