Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
HereticSeraphim
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by HereticSeraphim »

While this may not be the appropriate place to post this (and I'm sorry if it's not), I seem to have turned of display of any and all chat messages and can't figure out how to turn them back on. I don't play very often, so it's not a big problem, it's just really annoying. Help would be appreciated.
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

You can get the long list of keys by by pressing Esc to go to the menu, then Options, Input Settings, Change Key Mapping

The radar is Q, the console is W by default (I think)
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
HereticSeraphim
Private First Class
Private First Class

That's not the problem, though. The console and radar show up, chat but chat messages don't, even when have the console on "All" or "Chat."
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

You are sure there are chat messages? I know for a while I was confised because the message box kept scrolling up because of a buggy mouse wheel, by default the mouse wheel scrolls the console, I had to change that to Page Up/Down.

Keep searching through the key list, it is probably in there somewhere, even if not the console.
What messages do appear?
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
HereticSeraphim
Private First Class
Private First Class

The only ones that do appear are the ones that say things like, "So and so was killed by What's His Face" and the like. I know there are chat messages, because after I did it, my friend kept trying to tell me something, but it didn't show up (I know he was, because he told me over MSN Messenger).
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

You probably accidentally silenced everyone. Try pressing "k" and type in "*", without the quotes.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

When you join a server, (say, Bloodbath 2), do you get messages from the server? You should see the entire server advertisement and rules (there is 5-6 lines of it usually). And you are sure that the "All" tab is on (Press Shift+F1 a few times)?

Edit: I didn't realize you could silence everyone. When you start up the client, read the messages that come up. The list of silenced users comes up after the info on your audio and video cards.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Perhaps you turned off messages in the console. There should be four tabs, iirc, right above the console, and the selected one shows what kind of chat is set to come through. Try pressing Shift-F1, Shift-F2, etc. to see if you can bring them back.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Constitution wrote:Perhaps you turned off messages in the console. There should be four tabs, iirc, right above the console, and the selected one shows what kind of chat is set to come through. Try pressing Shift-F1, Shift-F2, etc. to see if you can bring them back.
HereticSeraphim wrote:That's not the problem, though. The console and radar show up, chat but chat messages don't, even when have the console on "All" or "Chat."
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

HereticSeraphim
Private First Class
Private First Class

I don't have anybody silenced (I checked). I even tried unsilencing people, but it just showed that I could silence them, so that's not it, either.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

HereticSeraphim wrote:I don't have anybody silenced (I checked). I even tried unsilencing people, but it just showed that I could silence them, so that's not it, either.
Hmmm, that's very weird indeed. Have you tried deleting or moving your config.cfg? BZFlag will auto-generate a new one if it's not there and maybe your config became corrupt.

You can find where config.cfg is located, depending on your OS, via the wiki.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

HereticSeraphim
Private First Class
Private First Class

A Meteorite wrote:
HereticSeraphim wrote:I don't have anybody silenced (I checked). I even tried unsilencing people, but it just showed that I could silence them, so that's not it, either.
Hmmm, that's very weird indeed. Have you tried deleting or moving your config.cfg? BZFlag will auto-generate a new one if it's not there and maybe your config became corrupt.

Ok, that worked. Although, on the chance that I do it again, does anybody know how I did it to begin with? I don't to have to keep configuring the thing again and again.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

HereticSeraphim wrote:
A Meteorite wrote:Hmmm, that's very weird indeed. Have you tried deleting or moving your config.cfg? BZFlag will auto-generate a new one if it's not there and maybe your config became corrupt.

Ok, that worked. Although, on the chance that I do it again, does anybody know how I did it to begin with? I don't to have to keep configuring the thing again and again.
We wouldn't know what happened unless we saw the corrupt config.cfg. If you still have it, post it here without your password (many people have BZFlag save their password for them and don't know config.cfg stores this).
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

HereticSeraphim
Private First Class
Private First Class

A Meteorite wrote:
HereticSeraphim wrote:
A Meteorite wrote:Hmmm, that's very weird indeed. Have you tried deleting or moving your config.cfg? BZFlag will auto-generate a new one if it's not there and maybe your config became corrupt.

We wouldn't know what happened unless we saw the corrupt config.cfg. If you still have it, post it here without your password (many people have BZFlag save their password for them and don't know config.cfg stores this).
It wasn't corrupt, though. I just hit some button ingame and got a "All Messages Disabled" message, or something similar. Also, I could still get server messages. And no, I don't have it. Sorry.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you press the 'k' button (Silence/Unsilence), and were to enter *, it would say "Silenced All Msgs". To undo that, you would simply repeat that action.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

A Meteorite wrote:You probably accidentally silenced everyone. Try pressing "k" and type in "*", without the quotes.
HereticSeraphim wrote:It wasn't corrupt, though. I just hit some button ingame and got a "All Messages Disabled" message, or something similar. Also, I could still get server messages. And no, I don't have it. Sorry.
Ahem, I had already suggested that. But I'm glad you figured it out anyways.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN