Adventure in the hills rabbit hunt

User made maps to use on servers.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Adventure in the hills rabbit hunt

Post by Peter »

This map I made in about 20 minuets, and I really like it :) It is set in big grassy hills, I would post a screenshot or two of it but there would be no point because of the fog. All of the hills are just one object (screenshot of the object in blender)....

Here is the .bzw, it doesn't really need a configuration file, everything it needs is in the .bzw.
Attachments
land.bzw
(98.83 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Great, no horizontal surfaces. This means no flags, and the gameplay is severely limited (or different to an extent beyond my comprehension?). As of yet, it is more a work of art than a playable map. It may be more suited for a version of BZFlag that allows flags to be placed on slopes, and tanks are allowed to drive on slopes.

Granted, navigating the slopes is no great arduous task, but it here it is harder to get into good firing positions. Thus, a rabbit (because they usually run away (unless you're on a Planet Mofo rabbit hunt)) would probably have an easy time escaping the others. It's really to early to tell anything definitive about the gameplay as of yet. Is it hosted publicly anywhere?
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

No, remember there is _noClimb 0 on it. When me and ahs3 were playing it it was actually quite fun, and because there are no flat faces, the battles between players as they fight are more intense. It is surprisingly easy to maneuver on the hills.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

PETER wrote:No, remember there is _noClimb 0 on it. When me and ahs3 were playing it it was actually quite fun, and because there are no flat faces, the battles between players as they fight are more intense. It is surprisingly easy to maneuver on the hills.
Well, good. I hope it turns out well for you. For this and future versions of BZFLag. I see it is not hosted publicly now, and I guess my first post was a little naïve because I haven't played on the map with anyone else. I hope you will still understand my concerns, though.

BTW- I like the fog and what it adds to the gameplay even though some cheapskates turn it off in their clients...
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Macrosoft
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Macrosoft »

you might want to make that into a solid object, and then add an inside point. i tried it earlier and it was easy to fall right through the mesh.

all you need to add vertices at -3400 -3400 0, -3400 -3400 0, 3400 -3400 0, and 3400 3400 0.
then make side faces and a bottom face, and last would be to add an inside point at 0 0 5.

EDIT: it would be easier to add the extra sides with blender instead of a text editor
gazz: A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern".
http://bash.org/?785529
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

I really love this map. The map could use a few improvements (like flags, LG would be especially good), and the map is too large for only a few players, but the hills are amazingly easy to climb. I can see this map evolving into something really good.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

It can't have flags, sure I could put them on a platform or something but...
I don't really want this to be a flag map. I think the scale of the map really gives it the `explore factor`. If you want to add any flags on platforms or scale it down your more than welcome to.
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

I've found that navigating over non-level terrain is an under-developed skill with most bzflaggers. Another place where this skill can be practiced is Louman's Alpine Adventure. I will add it to the list of essential skills that every bzflagger should develop.
this signature intentionally left blank
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Tedius wrote:I've found that navigating over non-level terrain is an under-developed skill with most bzflaggers. Another place where this skill can be practiced is Louman's Alpine Adventure. I will add it to the list of essential skills that every bzflagger should develop.
Yeah, I think it is an under-developed skill too, I don't think it's a necessary skill on most maps but it's good to know just encase. I guess I should mention that keyboard users will have a hard time doing it.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Is this map hosted any where?
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

No, not yet, but all the hosters out there... pretty pretty please :)
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Rabid Rabbit would be awesome here....I wish I could host this...
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

PETER wrote:No, not yet, but all the hosters out there... pretty pretty please :)
You should ask a hoster, such as Tadd, Norang, I know blast helps with norang servers, Private Message them.
Lt-Kirby2007
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lt-Kirby2007 »

ooo Peter :D checking out your new map AS PROMISED lol. looks good. only bad thing is that there is nowhere to put flags. i know you said about putting them on some kinda of platform, but i feel this would be to open. How about creating an area in the centre where tanks have to congregate in order to take a flag. Each time a new rabbit is chosen, everyone could loose their flags. This would leave a rabbit with a harder choice...either a) run around without a flag, or b) head to the centre and risk certain death as everyone would be going to the centre for a flag.

hope that helps mate. looking forward to playing on this because it looks really fun.

BZTANK.NET ADMIN - THE PLACE TO BE!!!!
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Lt-Kirby2007 wrote:Each time a new rabbit is chosen, everyone could loose their flags.
Is it just me or are all your ideas only done by new plug-ins? :P

I like how there aren't any platforms or flags, eliminates camping.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

I like the map (it's soooo taxing on my puny vid card, though :P ), and you could decrease the fogDensity a little. It can still make for good play without fog or at least less fog.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

You can turn fog off in your client:

Options > Effects > Fog
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

I see you added fog within the last few days. I wasn't able to check if you fixed those areas where you can fall through, and I'm not sure whether the airspawn is a genuine "drop the sucker in" airspawn.

Of course, the world got to witness my *ahem* amazing jumping skills recently, so....
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Fog that is really thick is especially taxing on certain video cards. Haven't tried the map myself, but you might consider lightening it if you get a lot of compliants.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

The fog was always there. You can edit this map and post it here if you want, I'm working on a new map right now so this wont get worked on by me.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

There could also be small flat surfaces in the corners. Then you could make it a CTF!

This is a cool concept and I hope it gets hosted.
Join MI6!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Hosted... for now on

bzflag3.norang.ca:5189
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

PETER wrote:You can edit this map and post it here if you want...
I made a couple of minor changes. I don't know if they would be considered improvements.

I agree with Joe, it is a cool concept.
Attachments
land.bzw
(99.17 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
this signature intentionally left blank
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Thanks guys for all the comments. And thanks for hosting! :)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Well, I played on it about twenty minutes a few days ago. I'm not very impressed... there are several nooks and crannies that are impossible to hit, and a rabbit sits in that spot and simply ricochets the bullet up... no matter how you try to approach, you can't get the rabbit... or it's almost impossible to, at least.

I like the concept, but playability wise, it's not that great... imho...