No permission? No Rights?!

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

No permission? No Rights?!

Post by Knox »

Very much players still do not know how to vote:
/vote yes/no
:cry:
And very much players do not know how to request a poll:
/poll ban/kick [player name]
:cry:
It's a great Pity if there is a cheater or someone without ANY education on the server and none can ban or kick him or her.

:wink:

Any comments? :roll:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There have already been some discussions on how to make the poll system better. The main way would be integrating it into the GUI of the game, instead of having to use a command. Please use the search function of this forum to locate other similar topics for more information.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Someone without ANY education on the server and none can ban or kick him or here.
I'd also like to point out: It's a bad idea to /poll kick (or even worse ban), somebody that is brand new to the game, or doesn't know much about the game. Put yourself in their shoes, you'd probably be confused and unsure what you've done wrong.

Instead, talk to the player. Point out what they're doing wrong. This is more beneficial for everybody involved.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:
Someone without ANY education on the server and none can ban or kick him or here.
I'd also like to point out: It's a bad idea to /poll kick (or even worse ban), somebody that is brand new to the game, or doesn't know much about the game. Put yourself in their shoes, you'd probably be confused and unsure what you've done wrong.

Instead, talk to the player. Point out what they're doing wrong. This is more beneficial for everybody involved.
I'm sure we've all TK'd someone the first time we started out.

....It's been more than a year and I still do :roll:
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by slon02 »

it could be possible if, once you've tried talking and they haven't said a word, that they don't know how to talk......brings back happy memories. :D
Current Server: hosting.BZADDICT.net:5173
Former Server: Fairserve.bzflag.org:5259
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:

To talk with new players ....... ok but after you talked with them and they still TK, they should be kicked after 1 or 2 Warnings.

(sry . Bad English . i know. :| )
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Yeah it is kind of agitating when there is an obvious cheater and there are polls not passed in the presence of a bunch of registered users. However, sometimes if the tker is not on their team, they have no motivation to even pay attention to the vote. I don't know how that could be changed.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Have you tried logging in to IRC to find an admin for the server you're on? I used to do that back when I had no admin rights. It usually got some sort of response fairly fast, and solved the problem permanently. In other words, the admin would assess the situation and make the appropriate ban.
Knox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Knox »

We need a solution for this problem.
Last edited by Knox on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

How about this happens:

[SERVER]-->A poll kick has been requested by bob to kick dave. Press page up to vote yes, page down to vote no.

Repeat every 15 secs

Here's the interesting thing: if the other team won't vote for your tker, you can specify which teams are included (or even notified) in the poll. This reduces the number of people who need to vote.

/poll kick bob blue for tking.

Assuming I even know how to put a comment into a poll, lol.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and to prevent a voter from not voting, it would automatically vote either yes or no, specified in the options. The default it yes.
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Piet wrote:We need a solution for this problem.
This is an open source project, you are the solution. Code it up and submit it as a patch, if it passes muster then it will be included. The developers give their time to this project freely and you are encouraged to do the same. So instead of just demanding, help.
*Boinkage*! wrote:Here's the interesting thing: if the other team won't vote for your tker, you can specify which teams are included (or even notified) in the poll. This reduces the number of people who need to vote.
Here is the problem I see with this:
Red wants to get rid of someone on blue because he is just overwhelmingly good (someone like me... or wait NOT like me :P). They issue a poll ban on the player that only red sees and vote him off. There are so many ways that can be abused which would be worse than the current issue. There has already been discussion on how to make it better in another thread (mentioned above I think). But unless someone is willing to figure out how to code it up (or gets one of the developers to drop what they are working on to do it), you will just have to wait.

Now for the OpenSource mantra:

Patches welcome.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Farslayer
Private
Private

Post by Farslayer »

Is there a way to put a REASON for the poll ban/kick request ? the trouble with most requests is that people don't know why the poll has been started..
usually when a poll is requested people are asking why ? by the time they find out the poll has failed.

/poll ban farslayer "rude obscene behavior, Invincible cheating TK'er"

if I could code I'd certainly try to add the ability to put a comment with a poll request...
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Farslayer wrote:if I could code I'd certainly try to add the ability to put a comment with a poll request...
You can code. :) Coding is a learned skill. None of our developers were born with the knowledge of how to code.

Code gets created when people like you step up to the challenge. If you need help figuring out where to start, then ask. The willingness is what's important.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> Is there a way to put a REASON for the poll ban/kick request ? the trouble with most requests is that people
> don't know why the poll has been started..

That would be a very important feature, especially for poll banning. I remember being poll banned a few times for apparently no reason (one was because I joined an unofficial 1v1 game...on Quidditch). Adding a reason would be a very important thing, along with some proper education.

> You can code. Coding is a learned skill. None of our developers were born with the knowledge of how to code.

But can you code C++ ? No matter what you say, learning a 50-100mb codebase<sup>*</sup> is a daunting task, and keeping up with the constantly-updating SVN makes it even more challenging. More reason to praise the developers.

<sup>*</sup> Taken from src directory, bzflag-2.0.10, with object files included, OS X