_maxBumpHeight and meshes...

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

_maxBumpHeight and meshes...

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Well, I had a map that was working splendidly if I increased _maxBumpHeight to get over some blocks. Oddly, when I converted the normal boxes to meshboxes, it would no longer "bump" over the little ridge. I think it's the same with meshes apart from standard meshboxes and such.

What I'm doing right now is adding a very small normal box (almost invisible, I made it very thin) in front of wherever I want the tank to bump. But that kind of defeats the purpose of the textured meshbox, having an always slightly-visible small normal box directly in front of it. Ruins the eye candy. :)

If I'm missing something here I'd appreciate somebody telling me so. Is there another way to get this to work? Is it an unavoidable bug?

Thanks!
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

You go from one meshbox to another meshbox and the tank sticks on the edge, even though all the Z's look like they should work?

This is an old bug, something about "floating point errors" One point ends up .000000001 higher than the one next to it? idunno.
You could also convert your boxes to arcs with four divisions each, this makes the problem even worse.
Something tells me if you tried to place a teleporter atop these meshboxes, it wouldn't work either.
Don't try to fix it, because you can't. turn them back into boxes.

I think this problem was not in BZFlag 2.0.0, but appeared in 2.0.4.
Last edited by optic delusion on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The collision detection code for mesh objects differs from that of the boxes. Keep in mind that the regular box object can handle materials and physics drivers for servers newer than 2.0.8.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I used the "River by JPA" map to test this. That map works perfectly in 2.0.0 and 2.0.2, but when you load it into 2.0.4 or above the center teleporter stops working. No amount of jiggering the Z values will cause that teleporter to function properly. I was told that it was a floating point error.
I turned the center arc into a box, of the same height... suddenly the teleporter worked again.

River by JPA http://www.garrettsites.net/bzmaps/inde ... ail&id=109
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The collision detection code for mesh objects differs from that of the boxes. Keep in mind that the regular box object can handle materials and physics drivers for servers newer than 2.0.8.
Ok, I downloaded BZFlag2.0.10rc3, and I tried it out the map I was working on. There was no error in bzfs as to the textured normal box... but _maxBumpHeight still refuses to climb the box I changed back to a normal one (from a meshbox), though textured. Would I need to make the meshbox that you bump from up to the normal box a normal box as well? There is a 1 unit difference in height, and _maxBumpHeight is set to 1.1... worked fine on normal boxes before textures or anything came in to play. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

And thank you, Optical Delusion and blast, I do appreciate you guys and your help.

P.S. On one of the things I'm making (a jump-pad, you drive up on to it and it bounces you to a base), I could lower the meshbox down to a 0.001 height... then make a 0.001 width and 0.0011 height box, though that partly alters what I had in mind. However, in another area, it would ruin the playability if I changed it from an entire 1 unit difference.

Thanks.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't think you can "bump over" meshboxes. As I said, they have different collision code.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Well, I changed it from a meshbox back to a normal box with a texture (compatible in versions past 2.0.8, is what you said). So, no matter what I try to do, I have to have a normal box to be able to use this variable? Because if it isn't textured it looks extremely out of place in the map I'm making. And even if you place a small out-of-the-way normal box in front of a meshbox or mesh, it still alters how things look...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Ah, hmmmm. Guess I've never tried with a regular box that had been meshified.

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Then, as it is, I can't think of a way other than putting a normal box in front of anything mesh to get _maxBumpHeight to work... therefore, people will have to jump on anything over 0.1... otherwise the big normal box in front of it ruins it...

Thanks for your help, though, guys. Appreciate it! :)