Diagonal Movement

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Diagonal Movement

Post by that exploding tank »

I know that this may have been suggested over and over before, but since the search feature pulled ditto, here's my suggestion.

Map makers could choose to add diagonal movement to their maps. This would enable tanks to drive up pyramids and walls angled less than 45 degrees.

I also know that this would take an extraordinary amount of coding, especially when it comes to the new tank models necessary, as well as a rewrite in the physics coding, but it's just a suggestion... :D
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

please read the FAQ in this thread, tanks don't tilt.
ImageJeffM
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Wow, that was quick...

Anyway, why? :?: I mean, even the FAQ says that it's easy to implement, and it really wouldn't add that much more complexity to the game...
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's a design decision. It does add a LOT of complexity to the game. If you want a tank simulator, go play a tank simulator.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it is a design choice, not a technical one.

the primary reason is it would be a massive change to gameplay. If the tanks were to tilt, then that would change angle of aim for the shot. If that happens, then shooting someone would be very very difficult because you'd have to find some map or terrain feature that would angle your own barrel up or down to hit some one. The only real way to compensate would be to add barrel aiming. Now you have a much more complex system, and additional input axis, and a totally different game, that is no longer bzflag.

It's more complex the "just driving up a ramp", and in the end it's simply a choice that has been made.
ImageJeffM
macsforme
General
General

Re: Diagonal Movement

Post by macsforme »

that exploding tank wrote:I also know that this would take an extraordinary amount of coding, especially when it comes to the new tank models necessary, as well as a rewrite in the physics coding, but it's just a suggestion... :D
Actually, the technical changes would likely not be very difficult, from what I understand. Relative to what BZFlag already does, your idea wouldn't add too much more to the actual code. It would change gameplay dramatically, though, as has been said.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Well what if the tank "bumped" up the slope without tilting?

Kind of like maxBumpHeight.
Join MI6!
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Tanks can already do that with _noClimb 0.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

PETER wrote:Tanks can already do that with _noClimb 0.
That's not quite the same...this way you'd just have to drive up the the object and you'd start going up (It would work on no jumping servers). But I see now that it is very similar to being very skilled at noClimb 0.
Join MI6!
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

this way you'd just have to drive up the the object and you'd start going up
Possible with physics drivers.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

The problem is also compounded with the _noClimb variable. You'd think setting it to 0 would make the people be able to climb the mesh/pyramid....

EDIT: I was speaking more along the terms of the naming of the variable, as opposed to the semantics of it. Ah, well.
Last edited by F687/s on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

There is no problem. the stuff your describing is NOT how the movement mechanics are intended to work. That's it, end of story.
ImageJeffM