Ultimate Server and Map.

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: So far away you can't even begin to comprehend it...man...

Ultimate Server and Map.

Post by an alien »

I want to know the publics opinion is on the best server. The most common answer is Bloodbath so if that is your favorite say so and then say what you think is the second best. 8)

I like a lot of servers and maps. Bloodbath can be when I'm in the mood. Many others though.
Last edited by an alien on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Remember to differentiate between servers and maps. Many people like the map "Bloodbath", but many times they forget that it is being hosted on BZFX. "Industrial Battle" is also a map, not a server (I believe it is being hosted on Fairserve nowadays).

My favorite server/group of servers would have to be Planet Mofo, mostly because I like the maps, the more mature environment (in terms of gameplay and conduct), and because they don't take any sh-*.

I myself would never play at "Bloodbath" because I don't enjoy the map, but I do thank BZFX for hosting it, and raising the hype around it. What has been done is effectively create a "Noob Sponge" (to put it bluntly). But like most other sponges, some of the liquid passes through without getting absorbed, and thus trickles elsewhere (other servers), which gets annoying fast.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Well I disagree with A Distraction, I don't really like Mofo, there's too much, uh, immaturity, to put it bluntly. Not that its not great. Personally I like Bloodbath, because of its major strategical and teamwork element (unlike most other ctf servers). No, I don't think it is a noob sponge (at least most of the time). Even though lots of people think it's a "camping" map, I don't agree. Anybody who's played there for a long time would realize that.

And yes, servers are very different from maps.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

GULeague > any public server.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

Quantum Tank wrote:Well I disagree with A Distraction, I don't really like Mofo, there's too much, uh, immaturity, to put it bluntly. Not that its not great. Personally I like Bloodbath, because of its major strategical and teamwork element (unlike most other ctf servers). No, I don't think it is a noob sponge (at least most of the time). Even though lots of people think it's a "camping" map, I don't agree. Anybody who's played there for a long time would realize that.

And yes, servers are very different from maps.
If a server is on the very top of the list, the noobs are going to go there in the greatest force, no matter what map is being run on that server. And from a statistical standpoint, the server that has the most players is going to have the most beginning players. It's simply a matter of probability.

And I must disagree with your argument that Bloodbath is not a camping map. In my experience, the whole strategy of the map is based off of camping in some shape or form. Nobody goes to the middle of the map and starts fighting like they would on a GU map. The whole point of the map is to find a flag, then find a good safe camping spot, and sit there, waiting for people to come into your line of sight.

I will rest though, as Bloodbath is not the point of discussion in this topic thread.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by an alien »

Yeah I guess you're right let me refine the question. What is your favorite server and map?
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by an alien »

I used to like Twilight Fairserve with industrial battle because I have a lot of friends there but now they don't have that server up very much. I don't like Mofo because of imaturity, to put it bluntly, also, too many people on a too small map. Bloodbath is fun but they should make it so everyone can talk including non registered. Bloodbath won't allow my callsign that is registered so I have to go to Bloodbath as a non registered so I can't talk and bloodbath is a big camping map with a flood of noobs most of the time with an occasional tker, those are the worst.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

it's badgerking's (both the server and the map). it was love at first sight when it appeared two years ago and i'm playing like mad ever since. there are a lot of other great maps too. i have written the ones i like are in a recent post.
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by an alien »

Nice. Again not crazy about servers with a ton of people but badgeking isn't bad. I like a lot of servers depending on my mood.
- The best way to live life is to live every day like it's your last.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

A Distraction wrote: And I must disagree with your argument that Bloodbath is not a camping map. In my experience, the whole strategy of the map is based off of camping in some shape or form. Nobody goes to the middle of the map and starts fighting like they would on a GU map. The whole point of the map is to find a flag, then find a good safe camping spot, and sit there, waiting for people to come into your line of sight.
I recently found bloodbath, and I really like the map, but I would like to play on a server without the geno flag. My problem is that whenever I go to the middle to get a narrow to get a team flag, then I get hit by geno and then then team mates get unhappy. I would like to have fun and play recklessly without spoiling the fun for others. But then again the server is extremely popular, so I may be the only one having a problem :-)

Anyway, answering the original poster. HiX and the old happypenguin map are probably my favorites. Sadly I don't think that the happypenguin map is hosted anymore.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Am I the only one who sees a general trend towards maps emphasizing high-power superflags? Boxy War, Missile War, Bloodbath, Missile War 2... very popular maps, but somehow it's all about sniping, gunning down with GM, going one-on-one winged versus unwinged... etc. A lot of maps don't even use some of the mid-power flags, like Agility, Narrow, Tiny, etc.

A lot of the older maps had a balanced set of a variety of superflags (Badgerking's, and some of the Hepcat/Silvercat maps, for instance), but I don't seem to seem much of that anymore. It almost seems as if fine jumping, turning, and situational maneuvering skills have gone by the wayside.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I don't like all this "MoFo is immature" talk. I don't see it as immature at all. MoFo allows bad language, if that's what you mean - the way I see it, many of our players are more mature as a consequence, and more likely to have a good, fun, open and fair game. It's just the odd kid that gets carried away. That's my opinion.

I reckon that MoFo is one of the most innovative and actively supported servers in the game. The MoFo group are constantly looking for new ways to improve their game, and they don't let it stagnate. Fair?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by an alien »

Eh, either way Mofo isn't too gret to me. I don't like swearing and I don't swear so maybe that's why I don't like it :roll: Oh and on bloodbath if I were you when you get narrow flag that on the way to middle have laser flag so you kill any potential geno users. Just an idea :wink:
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:I don't like all this "MoFo is immature" talk. I don't see it as immature at all. MoFo allows bad language, if that's what you mean - the way I see it, many of our players are more mature as a consequence, and more likely to have a good, fun, open and fair game. It's just the odd kid that gets carried away. That's my opinion.

I reckon that MoFo is one of the most innovative and actively supported servers in the game. The MoFo group are constantly looking for new ways to improve their game, and they don't let it stagnate. Fair?
In many ways the Planet M servers are indeed fun to play at. They have good settings, are constantly working on the maps, and try to keep everything for the player in mind. Everything except morals (sometimes). Partly why the BZFX server (as an example) was so popular was because of the rules it set and its administration. They did not allow a player to rejoin as a different name and mock or harass another person... especially with an administrator seeing every detail. They didn't have racial, sexual, or profane advertisements or chat allowed in any way. And that's what many players look for... a good, fair, clean game. I know I'd rather play a clean game of bzflag even at a slightly lesser server or map than I would at a place that allows pretty much anything.

Swearing and such does not make any player more mature in any way. And if there are very lax rules you can be assured some nut will try to take advantage of it.

But this ain't Planet M bash right now, so I will go ahead and move on... still, this wasn't off topic. Planet M could be a very likable server and have even more frequent visitors as it would be their favorite.

Best server in the past: bzflag.secretplace.us, running Spirals (1.0 I think) by BZDoug. They had a marvelous connection, administration, and setup. I never got tired of playing there.

These days I like the bzflag.norang.ca servers or BZFX servers because of their good administration and player relations. And that's saying nothing of the many maps they host (too many to mention here). Staying close behind these are the GamesUnited League (or wannabe) servers. Never get tired of the HiX map.
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by an alien »

Yeah, you're right. Although, still I don't like maps with a bunch of people because then it's more likely for campers and also it gets kinda chaotic ( bloodbath is an exception I like bloodbath). That's why I don't like mofo.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Since this is a favorite "server" topic, and not a favorite map topic, I really can't say a lot. The truth is, the best admins are the ones that are not there. Admins are supposed to work in the background and make sure everything's running smoothly, not storm down the field like an evil overlord screaming, "Be perfect or be BANNED!" The best admins are the ones who act, talk, and work like normal players. They just have one of those funny @ signs in front of their names (like arrays).
an alien
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by an alien »

Ok I fixed the name of this forum. Discussion can be on servers and/or maps.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Saturos wrote:GULeague > any public server.
I never felt that way but lately I'm really getting into the GU-league and loving it.