fairCTF

Expand and mod your server.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

and another thing: this is only happening when a user is kicked or banned.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

hm, problem seems to have gone away. I think there's an issue with kicking bots (which is what I was doing to test the plugin).

nevermind the above posts, good coding. :)
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

Constitution wrote:I've created a simple patchfile that changes the plugin's behaviour somewhat. This file should patch against the current 1.2 version of the fairCTF plugin source code. This patch implements the following features:
1. Teams are now free to carry their own team flags at any time.
2. The weaker team (the one with fewer players) can now carry the stronger team's flag at any time. In a map with more than two teams, this is true of any one team's number of players relative to any other team's number of players.

Thought you all might enjoy this, since it has been requested multiple times. Have fun!
all i get is:

patching file fairCTF.cpp
patch: **** malformed patch at line 13: @@ -10,6 +14,8 @@

anyone on the *nix side of the house successfully apply this patch?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

TangenT:

I'm not sure what the problem you were having could possibly have to do with the changes I made with the patch. I would more likely blame it on a library/linking/configuration error. If anyone who's a C++ expert can identify a problem with my code, I'd be very happy if they could point it out so I could fix it.

cosmos:

The only thing I can think of is that either you don't have the latest fairCTF source code, or you've already made personal changes to the the source code. The patch will probably only work with a fresh copy of the source code. Try downloading it here: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/download.php?id=3627
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Hmmm, I looked into cosmos' problem a little deeper, and discovered that there may have been a problem with the patchfile somehow. I'm almost certain that it patched okay on my machine at first (Mac OS X 10.4), but I had troubles similar to what cosmos had today. In any case, for those of you who've had troubles with the patch, please download the attached patchfile and try it instead (I've also updated the file attachment on the original post). If it's working okay for you, then never mind this.
Attachments
const_fairctf_new.diff.txt
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Constitution: Kicking normal users off doesn't affect it. It's when I kick a bot that it causes problems.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

TangenT wrote:Constitution: Kicking normal users off doesn't affect it. It's when I kick a bot that it causes problems.
Wow, I have no idea what the problem could be. Does it do it when you use the fairCTF plugin without my modifications? Makbe try doing a "make clean", and then recompiling everything?
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

it does it even without the plugin. and on the server, I can't access the make commands.

anyways, as long as there's no bots, I'm good. and I have bots disabled (I should, rather, it's right on at least one part of the rotation).
Grans Remedy
Private First Class
Private First Class

a little help pse...

Post by Grans Remedy »

I cant get this plugin to work on bzfs 2.0.8 under CentOS 4

I've downloaded it from source (binary didnt work) and ran make.

Two files were created: fairCTF.o and fairCTF.so

Note that /loadplugin <pathtoplugins> produces an error: no such command when run in the client. I've looked in the server log file for error messages, but cant see any related to the loading of this plugin, using -loadplugin ... in the bz.conf file.

Can someone give me a clue please?

Cheers
Grans
No coffee, no workee
macsforme
General
General

Re: a little help pse...

Post by macsforme »

Grans Remedy wrote:Note that /loadplugin <pathtoplugins> produces an error: no such command when run in the client.
You need a bzfs with plugin support. If you installed bzfs from a binary, you will need to get a copy of the source and compile it yourself. Do

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-shared
... to enable plugin support, and then

Code: Select all

make ; sudo make install
Quol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quol »

with bzfs from cvs, I get this when I load the plugin:

Plugin:/etc/bzflag/plugins/fairCTF.so found but expects an older API version (15), upgrade it

any ideas on how to fix it?
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

You'll need to build it with a newer bzfsAPI.h. Take the one from your CVS build (in the include directory) and replace the one distributed with the plugin with that. Re-compile, and it should work.

I'm told that the plugin is broken with newer versions of bzfs, though. :\
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You also want SVN, not CVS. We no longer use CVS for BZFlag.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFlag_SVN
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

blast wrote:You also want SVN, not CVS. We no longer use CVS for BZFlag.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFlag_SVN
Oh, right. How did I not catch that? >_<
Quol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quol »

ya - subversion, that's what I actually meant - sorry about that, just used to saying CVS.

thanks guys, it worked.

I did replace bzfsAPI.h before, but I guess something went wrong somewhere, or I really screwed up - who knows.

I made sure to replace it again, and recompile, and it loaded up just fine and seems to work.

Thanks
--Q
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

fix dereference of null pointer

Post by optic delusion »

I'm releasing some of Thumper's plugin fixes that he did recently.
I don't know why these two are not added to official source.
Attachments
fairCTF.zip
(6.68 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
fairCTFstrong.zip
(5.88 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
macsforme
General
General

Re: fix dereference of null pointer

Post by macsforme »

Optic Delusion wrote:I'm releasing some of Thumper's plugin fixes that he did recently.
I don't know why these two are not added to official source.
IIRC, L4m3r thought that the plugin should be re-written to take advantage of better API methods that are now available.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Re: fix dereference of null pointer

Post by L4m3r »

Constitution wrote:IIRC, L4m3r thought that the plugin should be re-written to take advantage of better API methods that are now available.
Indeed, the plug-in is extremely primitive and somewhat wonky. I'll add it to the source tree when it's not a steaming pile of crap. :p
pacman87
Private First Class
Private First Class

My version

Post by pacman87 »

I've just released my Fair4CTF plugin. Details are in the main post:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p=118925#118925

Summary:
- works for 4 teams - compares in pairs (your team vs the team of the flag you're trying to take).
- smaller teams can always cap.
- teams can always carry their own flags.
- can autokick/autokill players who keep grapping an off-limits flag (because hearing that siren go off 5 times in a row starts to get annoying).
- choose between kick/kill and number of illegal flag grabs to take action.

If you've got comments or suggestions, let me know in my release thread.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Re: fairCTF

Post by allejo »

updated fairCTFstrong and fairCTF to 2.4
Attachments
fairCTF.cpp
BZFlag 2.4
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
fairCTFstrong.cpp
BZFlag 2.4
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

fairCTF has been added to the BZFlag source tree at the request of Bullet Catcher. Get the plugin there from now on. :)

I've also taken the opportunity to rewrite most of it to use more logical events. Flag drop delay is now configureable; see readme.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Thanks, L4m3r, for your generous contribution to the project.

If there is interest and it makes sense to do so we can integrate the features of fairCTFstrong and/or Fair4CTF into this version so server operators won't have to compile them separately. We just need to ensure that server operators can continue to choose between the different flavors of functionality. As usual, non-developers must submit patches through SourceForge to document that they agree to compatible license terms for their submissions.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

I had thought that fairCTFstrong was made kind of redundant by fair4CTF, which was why I didn't include that functionality in the rewrite.

Perhaps there is room for two CTF plugins in BZFlag. I can see two very different approaches to the problem- fairCTF is one, a static mode change to shut down the CTF game. The other method would be more dynamic, making a fairness judgement on the fly whenever someone grabs a team flag. Either style is fairly simple to implement by itself, so having two different plugins might be simpler than trying to mash the two together.