Overhaul (extends Overlord)

User made maps to use on servers.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Overhaul (extends Overlord)

Post by F687/s »

I personally dislike Overlord. Whether it's because of how it takes "wide open" to a new level (only achieved previously in Pillbox), whether it lacks a definitive appearance of symmetry, or whether it's because Dutchrai uses more eye candy than usual (in my opinion), I just don't really care for it.

So that's why I decided to rewrite it.

In all honesty, this map still keeps the towers it's famous for, but I replaced some of that 400 units of free range with actual items. The only modification is the pyramids at the top of the aux towers for aesthetics.

As far as I know, there is no license attached to the map, so I added just my CC 3.0 Attribution license. Details inside the map.

I hope you enjoy it. I also hope you don't call me a heathen n00b for rewriting a classic map. They do it all the time with Beethoven.
Attachments
overhaul.bzw
Overhaul of Overlord
(11.88 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
bzfi0024.jpg
Overview of Overhaul (overloaded from Overlord) with some overcast overhead.
(493.13 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Last edited by F687/s on Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Wow, although most rewrites of classic art :D become absolute crap, this actually looks really good. It takes away the openness in the center, making it become less like pillbox and more like gu.

Now, it is hard to tell from the screenshot... is the path connecting the tallest towers at the same level as the tower? or are the paths near ground level?
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

The paths connecting the two towers are 30 units above. Since the towers (at the highest point) are 90 units high, you can't get from one tower to the other that way. Actually, the end points of the pathways just dump you to the ground.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Hmm, nice work. The big open spaces were one thing that made Overlord such a challenging map to play on; but the fact that it was challenging was what kept people coming back, IMHO. The wide open space made it difficult to defend yourself (like actually having to dodge, good heavens), and made combat to gain and hold the middle ground an important element. When one team held the middle ground, it was impossible for the other to capture (unless they got lucky going around the sides, etc.).

While I like your revisions, it certainly does change gameplay significantly. For one, I don't think it's necessary with yours to go through through the middle in order to stay off the ground. Just keep in mind that some of the things you changed are, IMHO, the things that made Overlord dear to so many players.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

I agree with Constitution 500%.

The map was made to be very open, and, IMO, was one of the reasons it was so popular for many years...

Not many maps are made with the kind of balance that Overlord had, between fairly closed in fighting along the sides, and wide-open dodge fighting in the middle.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> The map was made to be very open, and, IMO, was one of the reasons it was so popular for
> many years...

Yes, but I think you're confused in that respect.

This map is not supposed to be a better Overlord, it is meant to be a different Overlord. I'm not really all for "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish," and I just wrote something that caters to the likings of others. I just used the Overlord shell as a starting point.

So, in a nutshell, THIS IS A DIFFERENT MAP!

Thank you for your time.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Quite frankly, that is not a different map at all. It's a map with some pyramids removed and about ten to twenty objects added in (give or take). Not much different from the original in that regard. But as long as you put credit where credit is due (mention that Dutchrai did 90% of the work), I do not have a problem with it.

It looks like it would be interesting to try out. Definitely not the original Overlord strategies, but with some new ones it might not turn out badly. I suppose it's an "each to their own" moment. ;) I prefer the original, personally.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Okay, I made a few revisions to the map (very minor, so no screenies).

I also have it hosted at bzfmaps.net:5032, if you want to come check it out.
Easy Target
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: In a cardboard box, how I own a computer, I don't know.

Post by Easy Target »

I just went on it, and i gotta hand it to ya, i enjoyed it very much... i was just wondering if you might speed up the tanks just a smidge, it felt like they were going a little slow...

Other than that i liked it a lot great work.

I havent been to the other overlord so i have nothing to compare it to, but i liked it... good work.
Humor helps us to think out of the box. The average child laughs about 400 times per day, the average adult laughs only 15 times per day. What happened to the other 385 laughs?