Silvercat server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Destroyer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Silvercat server

Post by Destroyer »

Hi some guys has asked me to start the good old Silvercat rotation server. But its isnt the 100% Original config maybe some guys can help me :)

If u want to try it watch here:

links-clan.de 5160

greetings
Destroyer :)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

ShadowCat is currently hosting the same maps that Silvercat did with the same settings and hopefully, the same atmosphere, each on a separate server.

But it's nice to have them in a rotation, I guess. :)

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

suggestions

Post by SilverFox »

I see several Shadowcat servers in the list, however no players. I'd suggest using one server with several maps on 2-4 hour rotation each, so you don't split your players up.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Silverfox: Thanks. that has already been suggested but, sadly, my life is a little busy right now and I'm lacking in motivation.
I don't even play BZ anymore so, while I am happy to keep the servers running and restart them if they go down for any reason, I'm not really looking to change the whole setup.
Maybe in a couple months when I am more settled at work & uni.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

The way to do it

Post by SilverFox »

You should get an army of admins to help manage the thing. Give them greater ownership/control so you don't have to do too much.

Set up project managers for different aspects (web admin, developer, art team, bzfs admin, sys admin, etc). Have someone install and set up SMF and then use a simple to follow democratic ratification process for changes/additions.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

The situation has changed again!

In light of CBG leaving all things BZFlag, Tropican8 has taken over the *cat hosting with CitrusCat. He has tried to keep things the same as they always were.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
macsforme
General
General

Re: The way to do it

Post by macsforme »

SilverFox wrote:You should get an army of admins to help manage the thing. Give them greater ownership/control so you don't have to do too much.

Set up project managers for different aspects (web admin, developer, art team, bzfs admin, sys admin, etc). Have someone install and set up SMF and then use a simple to follow democratic ratification process for changes/additions.
This is what I loved about SilverCat. Everyone worked together to create something that no one could've done on their own.

Unfortunately, though many try to make this happen (including myself), it's very hard to do. It seems that most people are either already involved with one of the few long-time servers remaining, are closely focused on doing their own thing, or don't care enough to contribute.

I'd love to see this kind of collaboration once again... but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: The way to do it

Post by Tropican8 »

Constitution wrote:Unfortunately, though many try to make this happen (including myself), it's very hard to do. It seems that most people are either already involved with one of the few long-time servers remaining, are closely focused on doing their own thing, or don't care enough to contribute.

I'd love to see this kind of collaboration once again... but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
This is the real problem. I've done as much as I possibly can, but without a community of people who genuinely enjoy this type of thing, it's going to remain in the depths of the server list.

The other problem is the maps most famously run on SilverCat are publicly available. I can't turn around and tell Dub and Pythonian to stop running Pillbox and Grassroots. Dub probably does a better job with Pillbox too. (In fact I'm running Adrenaline in its place in the current rotation.)

Any player can contribute to keeping the dream alive simply by playing on the server. Bring friends. Bring enemies. Bring anyone.

The official CitrusCat thread with more information is here.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm barely around

Post by SilverFox »

I know I'm not around much, but I'd be willing to pitch in (with very little commitment).

Maybe if you can find a 100 others in the same place, it'll add up to a single full time person. ;)
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Silvercat had several well-chosen maps, and they're a whole lot of fun to play on. Most of them have had their times at the top of the server list. However, I think for one that Silvercat was more than a collection of great maps... it was a group of dedicated players and administrators having a lot of fun in a very cool atmosphere. For two, I sadly but honestly think that those maps have run their course as popular everyday maps. Every once in a while it's great fun to go back and play Overlord or Pillbox, for instance; but it just isn't the same anymore.

I think the ideals and philosophy that made Silvercat what it was are timeless, and are great for any server. At the same time, I think we need to move on to even greater things. I tried to capture the Silvercat ideals and collaborative structure with the Divibox network (which has been up and down since it's inception), but I haven't been able to get people together to help, and tend to get burnt out doing everything I try to do myself. I'm sure many (or most) of the other networks try to get a large number of contributers involved, but like I said, it's very difficult.

Perhaps it's just a matter of having the skill to rally people around you. :) Or perhaps it's a matter of having the patience to keep at it while you slowly build your team.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Recipe:
- good group of people that are moderately motivated
- 1-3 people that have good 'administrative' skills. These folks are your project managers, they coordinate and motivate.
- a good process/method. This should be documented. Check out www.clockingit.com for some project management software that is good for collaboration. Also consider how decisions are made (democratic?) And what dispute resolution looks like.
- some resources. Web server, bandwidth, etc. I provided this for silvercat, but I've seen other groups 'chip in' for a leased dedi. Of course, this requires members with resources to pool. I'd stear clear of 13 year olds.