Plug-in idea: Auto-drop-own-flag-whenever-close-to-own-base

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Plug-in idea: Auto-drop-own-flag-whenever-close-to-own-base

Post by too much loving »

How about a plugin that caused me to automatically drop my own team flag as soon as I was close to my own base? I don't know whether the flag should just be dropped or if the plugin should somehow invoke flag-reset.

This would solve the problem of a newbie on the Pillbox server picking up his own team flag and carrying it away from his own base.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There are legitimate purposes of carrying your own team's flag away from the base. But you're more than welcome to try writing such a plugin.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Maybe, unless you're playing a server where hiding your team flag is a Good Idea, or else you would never be able to remove it from your base.
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

Is this what you mean?

You have a base, with a zone around it, say 1 1/2 the size of the base. In that zone, red team can not pick up the red flag.

This might be nice, but like blast said, there are many reasons why you would like to carry your flag away from your base.

Take the Hix map for example.
If you leave your flag on your base or near it, it can be easily passed to the middle by means of the pyramid. If you take it to the corner of the map, it is not so easy to pass the flag.
LeGeeko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LeGeeko »

Hmm... I can see a variation of you original idea that would work... Instead of dropping your team flag near YOUR base, you would drop it near the ENEMY base, to prevent accidental same-team caps. The flag would then fly back to your base. In other words, Red Team cannot take a Red Team Flag anywhere near another color base.
People call me insane. :twisted:

I take it as a compliment. :wink:

I mean, what fun would life be if I wasn't? :)
Gabriel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gabriel G »

That is a pretty good idea, but perhaps it would be abused. Example: A player kills another team's player with their flag. The player picks up the flag and purposely goes to their base. Then the player's flag flies back to their base and the other team must start over again.

Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Unless the zone is only covering the base and nothing else.

If the zone was only covering the base, I could live with that idea (If that's what you're trying to implement too).
Use the Search and Edit buttons as your question may have already been answered/posted.

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

LeGeeko wrote:Hmm... I can see a variation of you original idea that would work... Instead of dropping your team flag near YOUR base, you would drop it near the ENEMY base, to prevent accidental same-team caps. The flag would then fly back to your base. In other words, Red Team cannot take a Red Team Flag anywhere near another color base.
Many players will take their flag over an enemy base and drop it to "pass" it to the center. Also, such a plug-in would have to be coded cleverly to prevent a scenario that would make it impossible for a player to carry their flag away from an enemy base.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I was thinking about a slightly different scenario.

All team flags spawn away from the base. (or players spawn away from the base) It seems that many mapmakers have attempted to place bases close together, but you get the problem of the "fast-capture" when captures happen just a few seconds after spawn. So we seperate the bases with large walls and other obstacles.
The plugin would also kill all players at every capture, so it goes like this...

All players spawn close together, (maybe the bases have a wall between them, maybe not), they have to run to the other side of the map to get to a place where BOTH flags reside. Then they have to carry the flag back to a spot where BOTH bases are. This insures tight, fast play action, at all times. Sortof like an expanded HTF.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.