help compiling 2.0.10 with VS8C++ Express...

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
fredster
Private First Class
Private First Class

help compiling 2.0.10 with VS8C++ Express...

Post by fredster »

Hi, I usually download the already compiled version but thought I'd be adventurous and try to compile it myself and was told this is the best place to look for an answer. I found these instructions in a post here somewhere and followed them:

http://links-clan.net/howto_compilebzflag.php

I downloaded all the necessary files and added the paths in options. When I build bzflag, I get a whole bunch of the same error:

3>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\importprojects\bzflag-2.0.10rc3\include\common.h(58) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sys/param.h': No such file or directory
3>global.cxx
5>c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\ImportProjects\bzflag-2.0.10rc3\include\common.h(58) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sys/param.h': No such file or directory
5>PlayerInfo.cxx
3>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\importprojects\bzflag-2.0.10rc3\include\common.h(58) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sys/param.h': No such file or directory
3>GameTime.cxx
5>c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\importprojects\bzflag-2.0.10rc3\include\common.h(58) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'sys/param.h': No such file or directory

I've attached a text file showing the entire compile log. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
Attachments
vsc++compile-errors.txt
(56.66 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you need to install the Windows Platform SDK and the Direct X sdk, and libCURL.

all this is in the readme.win32 that is packaged with the source.
ImageJeffM
fredster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fredster »

Yes, I know this and all of those were installed prior to compiling. I added the appropriate executable, library and include paths in VS8.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

well it can not find that file.

did you install ALL of the platform SDK?
ImageJeffM
fredster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fredster »

I wasn't sure so I started over. I downloaded the full Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2 again and made sure everything was selected for installation. I did the same with Microsoft DirectX SDK (April 2007).
I searched the installation directory for the file param.h and the only one there was in a samples directory way up the tree. For a test, I copied this to the include directory in the MS Platform SDK directory under a sys folder and tried to build bzflag again, the common.h file then showed errors to other header files.

I also have Curl, ncurses, pdcurses & zlib with the paths specified in VSC++.
fredster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fredster »

Is the param.h supposed to be included with MS PlatformSDK or does it belong to one of the other downloads?

If so, I don't know why I can't find it anywhere. Any chance someone has a copy of that file to share?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

everything should come with both the platform SDK and direct X.
ImageJeffM
fredster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fredster »

I downloaded both of them and fully installed each. Neither installation directory contains the param.h file. A search of the entire hard drive does not find it.

Platform SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

DirectX SDK:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

What should I try next?
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

I use that to compile, i never had any problems.
The only thing that i did differently to you was that i downloaded a slightly older version of directx sdk (june 07) because it mentioned that directories may change in newer versions so i figured the older, the better. Seems silly to most people but i am just like that :P.

Also, i dont know if other people had this problem but i found that there were some directories missing from the last 4, i think in the /Microsoft Visual Studio folder.

+Your HDD\Your folder to the libs folder\curl\lib
+Your HDD\Programme\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib
+Your HDD\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Lib
+Your HDD\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\Lib

If you found that problem, dont ignore it because i came up with errors when i did. I can't remember exactly and i dont have it anymore because i use the full visual studio now, but i seem to remember that instead of the last 2 i just had one folder and it was different, but it seemed to work.

Probably these things dont affect you, but if you miss one then it can stuff up your whole thing.

Just make sure you triple-check all you directories, thats usually the problem.
fredster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fredster »

+Your HDD\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Lib
+Your HDD\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\Lib
That must be the problem. I can't included those folders as the VC98 directory does not exist. It must not be a part of the Express version of VS. Can anyone verify this?