Dual-screen BZFlag

BZFlag related only please...please attach large images
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Dual-screen BZFlag

Post by L4m3r »

I was tinkering with monitors and had this idea:

It's hard to make out (bad camera) but on the laptop screen is radar/console, and on the right screen is the window.

This was done with a stock client, using vertical monitor spanning and full radar opacity ("docking"), with the radar sized to fill the entire "lower" screen, on the left.

This is what the game screenshot looks like:
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

/kick 1 l4m3r 1d for jitter :lol-old:
'Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope'

-Aristotle-
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Thats pretty sweet. I might have to try that. I notice you still have the same box, Look good tho.
Albino Blacksheep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Albino Blacksheep »

hmmm... one thing I noticed (might just be me) is the main screen shows you outside the big central "box" at mofo, but on the radar, it shows you are in/on the "box"
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

Albino Blacksheep wrote:hmmm... one thing I noticed (might just be me) is the main screen shows you outside the big central "box" at mofo, but on the radar, it shows you are in/on the "box"
It's pretty blurry, but I think he's in one of the tunnels that cut through the central box. You're only seeing one side of the tunnel.

How does your peripheral vision work in a setup like this? I tend to watch the radar and still be able to watch the main screen at the same time. With the radar off to one side, it looks like I'd only be able to concentrate on one or the other.
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Yeah, it's hard, especially when you're trained to look at the lower right for radar. it'd work better if the laptop was just to the right of the main monitor, but there's not really room for that on my desk.

With an ideal setup (two identical widescreens, or two 1600x1200 screens, side by side) it'd be much easier to deal with.
plokijuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plokijuy »

Nice idea, it looks really Hi tech. I would try that if i could be bothered
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

nice! useful for pillbox when the radar is so essential! It looks like it might be a problem flicking your eyes from screen to screen, or mabye im wrong.
constantly
Private
Private

Post by constantly »

This my first attempt at posting an image here. What a great idea what a way to use that wasted realestate. Pity being the worlds worst player outside of my 7 year old daughter that is I cannot hope for any improvement. L4m3r you are a genius. Of course it runs better on two 19" monitors...
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Wow. I sooooo need to get myself a second monitor now. I could really do with the extra space for enlarging my radar box - maybe then I'll actually be able to make things out properly on long range view...
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

constantly wrote:This my first attempt at posting an image here. What a great idea what a way to use that wasted realestate. Pity being the worlds worst player outside of my 7 year old daughter that is I cannot hope for any improvement. L4m3r you are a genius. Of course it runs better on two 19" monitors...
Wow, that looks great!

What resolution are you running those at? I'm not a fan of widescreens, but I notice that they work better for this particular application, since the console does not get as squished. However, at higher resolutions (1600x1200) you still get a sufficiently wide console.

It's kind of trippy to play that way, isn't it? :p though it's a bit counter-intuitive, I'd suggest swapping screens... putting the radar monitor on the right will put your radar closer to your window view. :)
constantly
Private
Private

Post by constantly »

It is not a widescreen its a poor perspective and a wide angle lens. Good idea to swap them over puts the game screen on the crt which has a faster refresh rate. Under Linux dual monitors is a serious hassle if I let Bzflag run in twinview it takes both monitor with the mouse square on the join between the to monitor. Looks great but plays really poorly.

I will try the swap left to right though I have a gnome partition just for Bzflag so I can set the monitors how I wish and leave it that way..

Thanks for the great idea. Now I have to work on the gameplay aspect..