Hydrophobia

User made maps to use on servers.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hydrophobia

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Yay! My next map is in. It's a CTF underwater! A wrecked submarine serves as the base for each team. Move quickly, but don't fall into the chasm or get lost in the kelp!

Each team has a sub, their bases are inside. You enter through a small door, and soon find yourself in this room. This makes the bases very easy to defend, but at the same time, vulnerable to ricochets.

A long-forgotten anchor acts as a safe zone for you team flag. It will also have to be defended.

Here's the aforementioned kelp forest. It's a good place to hide, but offers little cover: the kelp is passable.

I realize that the map is somewhat open, but so is the real ocean floor. I think I have placed objects in such a way that you will be able to find some form of cover pretty much wherever you are.

Also, in the list of options, I have commented out three variables. These are optional "realistic water physics", which really add a lot to the feeling of being underwater. However, I believe they detract from gameplay, so by default they are inactive. Remove the "#"s from those three lines to enable the water physics.

Please let me know what you think! I noticed that my other maps tend to force players along predetermined routes, I tried to leave that behind this time.
Attachments
Hydrophobia.bzw
The map file.
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Last edited by Joe-Schmoe on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join MI6!
captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by captainmack »

wow look like it could be awesome. id have to play it to see. do you have a host lined up?
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money?"

CUPCAKE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CUPCAKE »

Hmm, it seems that most of your screenshots are too dark for me to see...
Great map, though, from the one that I could see :P
captainmack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by captainmack »

CUPCAKE wrote:Hmm, it seems that most of your screenshots are too dark for me to see...
Great map, though, from the one that I could see :P
i think that was the point with the underwater theme though
"So you think that money is the root of all evil? Have you ever asked what is the root of money?"

ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I dont think its supposed to be that dark... If it was no one would play there.

Here are some Brighter Screenshots.
Attachments
bzfi0222.jpg
(523.09 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
bzfi0223.jpg
(933.99 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Its up at ahs3.no-ip.biz:5140

Enjoy :D

--ahs3
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

Nice work, I am not too sure about the playability but it sure looks nice, and great job on the plant life.
“Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all of my base are belong to you.” ~ Nerd on Colour
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

Those screenshots are dark because I took them at night...I did so because as captainmack said, it aids the theme of the map.

I have changed the fog to be less debilitating, and added some wings flags in the kelp, since I found people weren't going in there much.

EDIT: fixed the bug with the safezones too.
Join MI6!
Mets
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mets »

Cool map! It's really different. It's a big help that you included all of the settings, because trying to figure that out for something involving underwater would have been kinda tricky to get right. The plant life is awesome, the subs look cool, the trench is great, and it overall is a really professional release.

A couple of things - it's a little dark (though realistic) and it is darn near impossible to get out of the sub. Well, not impossible, but I sat and watched users enter and leave without doing anything because they couldn't figure it out. Part of it is because the inside is all reflective silver. It's gotta be fixed, or people probably won't have the patience.

I'll leave it up on mlbz-1.game-host.org:5154 for a little while if you want to drive around.

Mets