Sport Mode

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Sparky1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sport Mode

Post by Sparky1 »

I noticed that there are a lot of recently created cool sport maps. In those maps a team flag is used as a "ball", and bases are used as "goals". I think that there is even more potential for great maps if there would be a game mode where a bullet behaves like a "ball".

Here is a suggestion for how that mode Might behave. When a game starts, or right after a score, a bullet hovers over a specified location (like the center of the map) and no one can shoot. The first tank that touches the bullet "has the ball", in other words only that tank can shoot. If a tank that "has the ball" shoots it, shooting for that tank is disabled, likewise, if a tank is shot by a bullet that tank does not die, but instead it "has the ball", this allows for passing and interception. A tank that "has the ball" should be indicated somehow, perhaps by a unique flag. The "ball" has the color of the last tank that shot it. A new object would have to be created (perhaps called a goal zone?) that resembles a teleporter that results in a ctf if a bullet encounters it. Or instead of a specific object an area/volume on the map could be designated as a "goal zone" which would give more freedom in designing objects that behave like goals. The score would go to the team that has the same color as the bullet that encountered the "goal zone". All tanks would have the Steam Roller power. a tank that touches another tank would not be killed only if that tank is higher at the touch. If a tank that "has the ball" is killed before he can shoot the "ball" then the bullet appears at the tanks position of death and travel at the speed and in the direction the tank had at that point. Maybe a provision could be made where the number of "balls" could be set at a number greater than one to allow for more intense game play.

All this should accommodate for most mainstream sports, and result in some interesting completely new sports. Keep in mind that this is only a draft. I don't doubt that a lot more can be done with this idea, for example what accommodations would have to be made for a sport that deviates from this form, like baseball.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

As far as I know, bullets aren't tracked in 2.0.x, which means there is almost no way (without hacking bzfs) to know where bullets are going to go.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Sparky1 wrote:Here is a suggestion for how that mode Might behave. When a game starts, or right after a score, a bullet hovers over a specified location (like the center of the map) and no one can shoot. The first tank that touches the bullet "has the ball", in other words only that tank can shoot. If a tank that "has the ball" shoots it, shooting for that tank is disabled, likewise, if a tank is shot by a bullet that tank does not die, but instead it "has the ball", this allows for passing and interception. A tank that "has the ball" should be indicated somehow, perhaps by a unique flag. The "ball" has the color of the last tank that shot it. A new object would have to be created (perhaps called a goal zone?) that resembles a teleporter that results in a ctf if a bullet encounters it. Or instead of a specific object an area/volume on the map could be designated as a "goal zone" which would give more freedom in designing objects that behave like goals. The score would go to the team that has the same color as the bullet that encountered the "goal zone". All tanks would have the Steam Roller power. a tank that touches another tank would not be killed only if that tank is higher at the touch. If a tank that "has the ball" is killed before he can shoot the "ball" then the bullet appears at the tanks position of death and travel at the speed and in the direction the tank had at that point. Maybe a provision could be made where the number of "balls" could be set at a number greater than one to allow for more intense game play.
You realize that this is impossible, just letting you know now. If you really wish this could happen, you'd have to convince the BZFlag devs to make bullet objects, tanks, and other objects in the game more controllable, so the creators of maps can design stuff particularly for this. I know the discussion that we had earlier on BZFlag I told you this, but you seem to still think it's possible that we can do this.
Sparky1 wrote:Keep in mind that this is only a draft. I don't doubt that a lot more can be done with this idea, for example what accommodations would have to be made for a sport that deviates from this form, like baseball.
Well, if none of this is possible, are you suggesting we make BZFlag even more flexible? I think you need to first make some maps so you can see what is possible. Just a suggestion.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

sigonasr2 wrote:I know the discussion that we had earlier on BZFlag I told you this, but you seem to still think it's possible that we can do this..
Who says it's impossible? Somebody would just need to put in the work to code it up. A very basic version might even be possible with a plugin - I don't know the in's-and-out's of the API - It is very damning of you to simply dismiss it, sigonasr2. I guess it would have to be in bzflag 3.x.

Personally I think it's a great idea, and IMO, the game needs a game-style that is more team based, and less egotistical. I don't care what anybody says, the current public CTF games - not the leagues - are not really about CTF. Many people are much more worried about their personal score than the team scores.

As an alternative team game to CTF, I think this sort of game would be very interesting, and would open up many opportunities for map design.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

It wouldn't take a huge amount of processing power to track the bullets...since there'd be only one. (I assume that the current reason for not tracking them is that they are too plentiful?)

I like the idea, you could have a flag that is a sort of "reverse thief" in that it gives itself to whoever you hit. The hard part is the scoring...
Join MI6!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Joe-Schmoe
the current reason is that noone has written the code to do it.
ImageJeffM
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

sigonasr2 wrote:You realize that this is impossible, just letting you know now. If you really wish this could happen, you'd have to convince the BZFlag devs to make bullet objects, tanks, and other objects in the game more controllable, so the creators of maps can design stuff particularly for this. I know the discussion that we had earlier on BZFlag I told you this, but you seem to still think it's possible that we can do this.
Sparky1 wrote:Keep in mind that this is only a draft. I don't doubt that a lot more can be done with this idea, for example what accommodations would have to be made for a sport that deviates from this form, like baseball.
Well, if none of this is possible, are you suggesting we make BZFlag even more flexible? I think you need to first make some maps so you can see what is possible. Just a suggestion.
As far as code enhancements go, almost anything is "possible." A lot of things can be done in the current protocol with server modifications. A lot more things can be done with the code that will become 3.0. Just about anything can be done when people are willing to put the development work in.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

2 more changes to 2.99 and you could do this with a plug-in
ImageJeffM
Sparky1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sparky1 »

sigonasr2 wrote: Well, if none of this is possible, are you suggesting we make BZFlag even more flexible? I think you need to first make some maps so you can see what is possible. Just a suggestion.
I'd have to admit that sigonasr2 is right about me needing map making experience. One of these days I'm gonna have to cut my gaming down a bit and take some time to make a map so that I can become more familiar with bzflag's limitations, so that I fully know what tools i have to work with, and what new tools are needed. It's just that I was inspired by the bzsports and had to make this idea available to the bz community so that the voices in my head would shut up long enough for me to sleep ;) . Until the day comes where I get off my lazy butt (and put it back into my computer chair ;) ) and make a map, my sport mode idea is available to germinate in the minds of those more experienced in this area, and I'm glad to see that it seems that the inspiration is beginning.