phpbb portal?

Improvements, Problems, or Questions on the Forum format or software go here ( not about the game )
Durf
Private First Class
Private First Class

phpbb portal?

Post by Durf »

Ever consider using phpbb as your CMS?

Using a portal as your main page would be like merging the bzflag home page with the forums as well. the portal can include everything that it already includes.

A phpbb2 forum system has quite a few options when looking for a portal. I have used the ACP of ezportal and its quite easy to use. The more popular option for phpbb2 though is IMportal which i haven't used.
Demo phpbb2 ezporal site: http://cruelmania.freeforums.org/

A phpbb3 forum system has little options for portals since its fairly new. there are only like 3 and only support the two original styles. I am using phpbb3portal which seems to be doing great.
Demo phpbb3 phpbb3portal site: http://durf.exofire.net/

I have made the templates for the portal so it supports the theme I use. I can modify, create, exapnd and do whatever to phpbb 2 & 3 themes.
Should you decide to do something along those lines, please remember that I'm here to help.
.__......._..___....
|__)(_)|..'.|-........
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

We're soon going to be upgrading to phpBB3. However, I see no need to use phpBB as a CMS. If anything, we're trying to separate the services instead of merging them together, so that we can have them on different servers to spread the load. There has been discussion about using something like Drupal for the main site.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

romfis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by romfis »

Hmm.. why not upgrade to Orion2? (based phpBB2),
phpBB3 is not surely for hacker attack, more surely is Orion2 with CTracker(based phpBB2).
(Language Version is for German and English)

P.S. The Orion Community have more Support with Mods (and is free).

mfg.
romfis
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

romfis wrote:Hmm.. why not upgrade to Orion2? (based phpBB2),
phpBB3 is not surely for hacker attack, more surely is Orion2 with CTracker(based phpBB2).
(Language Version is for German and English)

P.S. The Orion Community have more Support with Mods (and is free).

mfg.
romfis
Because phpBB3 is has functionality that we want/need. Also the fact that I can't seem to find hardly anything about Orion2 on Google does not give me any strong feeling to switch to it. I mean seriously, I can't even find where to download it, much less get support for it.

phpBB3 also has "Paid Security Code Audit" as one of their features, so I'm not overly concerned about security of the code. They have really improved the new forum and made it a lot easier for us to upgrade since they have the attachment mod integrated into the forum now. The number of mods we would have to apply is much less now.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

romfis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by romfis »

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

romfis
we have put enough time into evaluating phpbb3 to know that is what we will be going with. It has the features we need, as well as the hooks for us to expand.

This Orion thing is 1) written in a language the majority of our developers do not read, and 2) doesn't seem to offer anything spectacular for our needs. 3) is built on a known buggy codebase(phpbb2), where phpbb3 has basically been redone from ground up.

I'm sure it's a great forum and it's worked out well for you, but phpbb3 is going to offer us a lot of good thing.

as blast said, with all it's new features, we will not have to install many mods at all ( IIRC we are down to just having to do quick reply )
ImageJeffM