How far does the RAMPAGE... KILLINGSPREE go?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
OU812
Private First Class
Private First Class

How far does the RAMPAGE... KILLINGSPREE go?

Post by OU812 »

I was on Urban jungle today enjoying the recent implementation of the RAMPAGE plug-in. How many tiers are there to the RAMPAGE plug-in? I think I got to unstoppable reign but I was paying much more attention to pwning the noobs.

-OU812
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Rampage...
Killing Spree...
Unstoppable...
Continues to rage on.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

And just so you know
5 kills in a row = rampage
10 kills in a row = killing spree
20 kills in a row = unstoppable reign
25 kills in a row = continues to reign on IIRC
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Also, after 20 kills, for every 5 kills, "[PERSON] continues to rage on" appears.

The gory details can be found in playHistoryTracker.cpp , in the BZFlag source.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Could someone list the servers that actually use said plugin ???
...This has been a recording.
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

I think that is fairly impractical, as a lot of server owners turn it on and off all the time.

Most experienced players HATE it, so most server owners keep it off in order to attract more players.
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ummm. server owners have to load the plug in manually, so it is not something you turn off ( you just don't load it ). most server don't' run it because they don't run plug-ins or anything that isn't a default feature (or something that isn't in the default config).
ImageJeffM
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Just some servers i list here that use that plugin:
Urban Jungle, Sandblaster 2 (dutchrai), some/all ahs3 servers, sigonasr2 servers, ...
Simply join all hundreds maps :P , and do there
/listplugins
if u see "playHistoryTracker", then its the said plugin.

I personally don't think at all that players hate that plugin, even not the experienced players. As i am coincidentally often on servers with that plugin, i need to say that till now i never saw even 1 guy who complained about this plugin. Neither anyone complained via /report nor via "all channel". (But i saw hundreds of other complains, no joke. Like about map-settings and so on...)
(But i think i strange to say never saw it on real popular maps (>15-20 players). Dunno if there it could start to be a bit annoying due to too much server messages)

Btw, when i first time (about 1 year ago) saw this plugin, i thought it is a really childish, silly, annoying and senseless plugin. But i very fast changed my opinion completely. Edit: Now its even one of my most favorite plugins.
There are plugins like ShockWaveDeath or RogueGenocid that some people really like and others really hate. But the playHistoryTracker has the big advantage that people don't hate it, secondly it has more than one sense and is even motivating, exciting and adrenalin increasing ;)
Last edited by z[h]ero on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Sky King wrote:Most experienced players HATE it, so most server owners keep it off in order to attract more players.
I don't see why it should be a problem, personally I think it's great. Plus it allows you to keep track of who's currently the top kill. If I see a 'Killing Spree' I often hunt that player - be it to kill them or to avoid them. It is kinda satisfying seeing the message "Spazzy McGee halted Sky King's killing spree".

Anywho, best not speak for all experienced players - I know some who quite like it ;) !
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

I partially agree with Sky King. Messages like

Sky King is on a Rampage!

are very annoying. On the other hand, I find that messages like

Bullet Catcher is on a Rampage!

or

Sky King's rampage was stopped by Bullet Catcher

enhance the game significantly. :-)
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

My observation was based on quite a number of discussions held on in-game chat and on elsewhere... Some players like the ego gratification of "so-and-so is on a killing spree"... But each time the topic has come up, the consensus was heavily opposed to the messages, as they tend to just block out other message traffic that players would rather see. Just when an important tidbit pops up, or a message to you... and then it gets wiped off the top line of your screen in favor of a rampage message and you have to then look at the chat log, which I prefer to keep pretty small.
Retired Army--Proud to have served
Armored Cavalry Crewman, 1981-1984 (M60A5)
Infantry Officer & Paratrooper, 1984-1986
US Army Ranger & Sniper, 1986-1989 (LRSD)

Water Cooled 8-Core Ryzen 7 2700x @ 3.7GHz | Radeon RX590 GPU | 43" 4K Monitor
MACGOSS
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MACGOSS »

Personally, I like anyone or thing or program that actually aknowledges my existance.....rampage is good
spree is good
unstoppable reign is good
ego is good
my unstoppable reign stopped by Sky King is bad..very,very bad.
(which occurance is extremely rare)
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

MACGOSS wrote:my unstoppable reign stopped by Sky King is bad..very,very bad
lol, i understand what u mean :P
but it can be regarded from a positive viewpoint, too. Often people forget who was on a killing spree, as too many other messages appear. So when the message "was stopped by" appears, they remember again which freak did the massacre.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CapN »

I've never heard anyone complain about it either. Personally I think it's fun, just another thing to keep us ole timers interested.
Forfair
Private
Private

Plug Ins

Post by Forfair »

I have to agree with JeffM. Each server owner has to load it manually. At Urban Jungle, it happens to be loaded because that is what they choose to do. I have not seen many complaints about it, after all doesn't everyone like to be recognized for great play every now and then? I too have encountered Sky King, lol.
0BullzEye0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 0BullzEye0 »

i think they say different things like 3 times
"leadership comes with a responsibility.not an act of narrow-mindedness,or heroism.so that you be wise in your doings"
-Cheif LaGuerre