bzbaseball

Previews and comments on future maps.
Sparky1
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzbaseball

Post by Sparky1 »

I've seen a lot of cool bzsport maps l8ly, however one map that i've yet to see but would like to, is bzbaseball.

If your not familiar with the format of existing bzsports I'll sum it up: You have 2 teams, red and blue, a green flag is used as a ball and starts in the mid, and the red and blue bases are used as goals. If it helps, I recommend playing these maps to fully grasp the concept, to get inspiration, and to see for yourself just how cool bzsports are. Perhaps the best implemented one is bzsoccer.

I'm not entirely sure about what the basic structure of bzbaseball would look like. In order to resemble baseball, I would think that at least there two teams whose status changes between "up to bat", and "up to pitch". A team can only score when "up to bat". From the "up to bat" team, only one tank can play at a time. While evry1 from the "up to pitch" team can play at once, but each of those tanks have a different role (i.e. pitcher, catcher, first baseman, and so on). I'm very open to any ideas.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Read my post in Enhancements in reply to your "Sport Mode" concept before this turns into a worthless discussion.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

sigonasr2 wrote:Read my post in Enhancements in reply to your "Sport Mode" concept before this turns into a worthless discussion.
Worthless, my foot.

An idea is an idea. Like I said in that thread, it's great if somebody is up for coding it.
On the BZBaseball idea, it's probably not the best to start with. Like you say, BZSoccer would be a good place to start. With the baseball thing, you're going to have people waiting around to play. I think with the sort of game BZFlag is, you're going to want to keep the players active at all times.

Speaking of which, what is there to stop players in a BZSoccer match just grabbing the ball and running with it to the goal and shooting it right in? There ought to be some way to tackle your opponents. Perhaps have all tanks able to shoot normally, except the ball carrier, who can only shoot the ball? This would make it almost like a team rabbit-hunt...
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Spazzy McGee wrote:Speaking of which, what is there to stop players in a BZSoccer match just grabbing the ball and running with it to the goal and shooting it right in? There ought to be some way to tackle your opponents. Perhaps have all tanks able to shoot normally, except the ball carrier, who can only shoot the ball? This would make it almost like a team rabbit-hunt...
In BZSoccer you have to physically land in the goal while carrying the flag to capture it.
Sparky1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sparky1 »

Spazzy McGee wrote:With the baseball thing, you're going to have people waiting around to play. I think with the sort of game BZFlag is, you're going to want to keep the players active at all times.
Perhaps bots could be used as place holders, and be replaced as players join? Although, I would think that with the current version of BZFlag, not only would the map have to be designed for baseball, but some rules of baseball may have to be modified to keep up with BZFlag's fast pace (e.x. perhaps something would have to be done about the different positions to make them more interchangeable and less dependent on waiting for more players to join?). At the same time, care would have to be taken to not alter baseball so much as to loose what makes baseball a great game.
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

acutally i like the idea of a baseball map

as you said:
I would think that with the current version of BZFlag, not only would the map have to be designed for baseball, but some rules of baseball may have to be modified to keep up with BZFlag's fast pace.
Not easy todo, there was a discussion about a "Player grabs Flag, Player Shoots, Flag (ball) moves on. I think the same thing would be necerseray for this kind of idea.
I think with the sort of game BZFlag is, you're going to want to keep the players active at all times.
I Agree with that
Read my post in Enhancements in reply to your "Sport Mode" concept before this turns into a worthless discussion.
A discussion is never Worthless ;-)
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
Mets
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mets »

Well...It's no secret I love baseball :)

I'll be happy to host any baseball related maps on one of the MLBz servers if it helps get the ball rolling (no pun intended).