Once again, you have impressed me. ;)

-Zaa
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Zaa wrote:Nice one, R3laX!

Once again, you have impressed me. ;)
I honestly can't see the ingenuity of these maps. I mean, they're random maps with a couple colored boxes, but I guess that qualifies these days. I just don't quite see the point in something like this.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

dexter: these maps are basically the same as ducati just random blocks mixed in.

R3laX: I love then 1st and 2nd textures. pretty sweet. keep it up.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I agree with dexter. Heck, the textures are okay, but the map itself is basically just another random map. I could do that if I wanted to, which is saying something. ;)
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

agreeing much with dexter... nebody that can make maps could do that...

i could code that... saying VERY much....

not dissing on r3lax... but.... ya....

nice textures though there off the chain =P
pacman87
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pacman87 »

try changing the black to transparent, set the ground to black, and have mountain outlines for the skybox:

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> try changing the black to transparent, set the ground to black, and have
> mountain outlines for the skybox:

There actually WAS a map that looked like the original Battlezone out on the list server at one time, but I'm not sure if it's still up.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

The map you are referring to is Battlezone Vectrex by lagamemnon - bzflag.planet-mofo.com:4020

It's actually really interesting to play. Much more so than a simple random map.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

Spazzy McGee wrote:It's actually really interesting to play. Much more so than a simple random map.
I think you mean R3lax's map is interesting to play, if so, I agree completely. R3lax has made maps long enough to know that it is the subtle changes that make a map great. Its all about the gameplay, which is something that requires weeks of playing before you dismiss it.

I like the map, I think it could be lots of fun.

"Don't judge a map by its screenshot"
this signature intentionally left blank
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

ducktape wrote:dexter: these maps are basically the same as ducati just random blocks mixed in.

The maps are most definitely not like the ducati map. Just because they're are nothing else than blocks in a map, doesn't mean similar to ducati. Look at the size and placements of the boxes and pyramids.
As for the textures... just black with a colored edges. :)
Gabriel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gabriel G »

dexter wrote:
ducktape wrote:dexter: these maps are basically the same as ducati just random blocks mixed in.

The maps are most definitely not like the ducati map. Just because they're are nothing else than blocks in a map, doesn't mean similar to ducati. Look at the size and placements of the boxes and pyramids.
Dexter, take into consideration that if R3lax made the boxes and pyramids all the same size as at ducati, he would be plagiarizing. What ducktape wrote is just an opinion, what you may think is what you think(that's the great thing about life). Yes, it does have triangles and boxes, how does this not make it similar to ducati? Ducati has triangles and boxes..
Use the Search and Edit buttons as your question may have already been answered/posted.

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> Dexter, take into consideration that if R3lax made the boxes and pyramids
> all the same size as at ducati, he would be plagiarizing.

As far as I know, Ducati is played on a random map. It's kinda hard to plagiarize something that is random.
Gabriel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gabriel G »

Yes, and the name of this map is Randomized.
Use the Search and Edit buttons as your question may have already been answered/posted.

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 wrote:Yes, and the name of this map is Randomized.
And your point is...?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

A few months ago I actually started a PHP script that would convert any 1.x map to have this "look", inspired by battlezone vectrex. I really should finish it sometime. :p
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 wrote:
dexter wrote:

Dexter, take into consideration that if R3lax made the boxes and pyramids all the same size as at ducati, he would be plagiarizing. What ducktape wrote is just an opinion, what you may think is what you think(that's the great thing about life). Yes, it does have triangles and boxes, how does this not make it similar to ducati? Ducati has triangles and boxes..
HiX has triangles and boxes too, so HiX is just like ducati now? The point of a map is not taking some other and changing the size so not to be plagiarized...is it?
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

HiX is in symmetry. Is ducati? no. thats how they are different. HiX was planed out to have the awesome ricos and jumps it has. Ducati is just random boxes and triangles. End of story. it doesnt really, matter now does it?
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Guys, seriously, R3l4x made a map, and released it. Nobody plagiarized anybody. Get over it.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

It appears that R3lax had no intention of plagiarizing anyone's map. The map doesn't look like much from the screenshot maybe but it's probably pretty fun to play on. Random maps were what BZFlag started with... if you aren't picky it's pretty fun. And I'm really happy to see more BattleZone inspired maps... I was only aware of one. Yay...
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

ducktape wrote:HiX is in symmetry. Is ducati? no. thats how they are different. HiX was planed out to have the awesome ricos and jumps it has. Ducati is just random boxes and triangles. End of story. it doesnt really, matter now does it?
Wow, wow.. get your facts straight. :)
Ducati IS symmetric, although more subtle. Furthermore Ducati is not completely random either.. look at the position of bases and the four pyramids around the bases.

I like the look of Relax' maps, especially 1 and 2. I've no clue if they are fun to play, but at least they are nice to look at.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Saturos: You are right, but that doesnt mean HiX is just random boxes and triangles mixed together.