"god darn"

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
iamawinner
Private First Class
Private First Class

"god darn"

Post by iamawinner »

hey guys, is "god darn" considered profanity? does it suggest anything inappropriate? i was told to stop it or i would have been kicked out of the server.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

This is the server owner's choice.

Then can kick or ban you for any reason they please.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it profanity, but there are some people who don't even like you to say "shoot".
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Server owners can make any rules they want. They could say you have to be wearing a blue sweater to play on their server. If you don't like their rules, don't play there.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> Personally, I wouldn't consider it profanity, but there are some people who don't even
> like you to say "shoot".

And that can be a problem, considering this is a tank game. ;-)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Servers are run by individual owners. There are servers that allow swearing of any kind, if that's what you want. There is no governing body of people that can tell server owners to change their rules on language.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

I personally wouldn't find it offensive, but the server owner, or admin that told you to stop might seeing as it involves the word God, and darn is just a substitute for what you really want to say :)
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

It makes little difference what you or the public thinks is considered profanity. Just play the game.

I find it interesting that you first posted this on the "Player finding the game hostile" thread. The administrators are doing their best to keep the game as family-friendly as possible so that the maximum number of people can play without being offended or feeling like it is a hostile environment.

The admin did not ban you from the game, you were only warned. The admin did not force you to stop using the phrase, you are just required not to type it into your console. Perhaps your ego was damaged a little bit, but if it saved someone else from being offended, than it is well worth it.
this signature intentionally left blank
iamawinner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by iamawinner »

ouch on the ego part , u need not go further =_ / lol
and yea, i like ur responses guys, but i still gata say. get out of server?? i like that server, im staying lol =D.

and im still perplexed as to how ppl will be offended. i mean if they knew the context of my words, they should know i didnt mean with intent. but again, i guess there arent ppl with similar mindsets as i. hmm.. man im ranting again arent i lol, sorry guys and thxs for responses.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

The thing to remember is that people don't think the same way as you. What you consider an extreme of one thing could be somebody else's idea of something tame, and vice versa. I find the best thing to do while playing BZFlag is to be passive - you often come across people who you disagree with, perhaps strongly, however, the best tactic in most cases is to sit back, silence the player, and enjoy a good game. Don't allow yourself to be drawn into rows and arguments, it's going to end in tears.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon