Problems with Machine Gun (not very important though)

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
andreas_e93
Private First Class
Private First Class

Problems with Machine Gun (not very important though)

Post by andreas_e93 »

Hi. I´ve got a problem with the MG flag. As soon as I get the flag, it start shooting, but I don´t press any button. Also, if I use "Wheel scroll down" to shoot, it´s the same thing. Sometimes it work normally. But as the subject says, it´s not a very big problem. Anyone who knows?
andreas_e93
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Problems with Machine Gun (not very important though)

Post by tw1sted »

This happens to me as well, but i always thought that was what the MG flag did. I guess i was wrong ;)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I've had the same problem for ages. I've learned to live with it. May I ask what OS and key mapping you guys are using? Perhaps we can pinpoint it to a specific set up. My key mapping is default, except I have identify and fire mapped to the same key, space bar as jump, and / as drop flag.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
A Hobo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Hobo »

Well, not sure why it does that, but has to do with the mouse scroll. I use "left click" and "mouse scroll" to shoot. Soon as I pick up MG, I click right away which stops it from constant fire. I just keep using left click to fire it.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

For some reason it does this if you have the scroll wheel used as the fire button. Just press the 'other' shoot button (left mouse, i guess?) it stops it.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

me1 wrote:For some reason it does this if you have the scroll wheel used as the fire button. Just press the 'other' shoot button (left mouse, i guess?) it stops it.
I don't have scroll wheel bound to anything, seeing as I'm on a macbook.

But don't worry, it's stumped me for about a year and a half.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I have the same problem. I use all the default settings for the mouse, except scroll down is shoot, and scroll up is jump.
FKA Ratfink
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I think I may be able to shed some light on this.

One of the "features" of the MG flag is that it lets you fire constantly. Normally, if you hold down the fire button, you will fire all your shots and then stop shooting, even after they have reloaded. With the machine gun, you can hold down the fire button and you'll keep shooting.

I think what happens is, the game thinks you are still holding down the fire button because there is no "mouse up" signal or something of that nature. It happens to me when I use the scroll wheel (because the game doesn't know I've stopped scrolling) and it goes away when I click (which DOES have a mouse up signal), just like me1 said.

Spazzy: I think this probably has something to do with spawn and fire being the same button, but you've probably already tried changing that. I'm using windows XP BTW.

Of course I may be horribly horribly wrong :D such is life.
Join MI6!
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

The issue seems to occur right when they pick up an MG flag, even without pressing the fire button.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Constitution wrote:The issue seems to occur right when they pick up an MG flag, even without pressing the fire button.
Yep

I'm a keyboard user. I had the MG issue, too, but happily the problem somehow disappeared on my system. When i had the issue I SIMPLY needed to fire 1 shoot via keyboard to make the MG stop. (Still in my Bz i notice more bugs than in all my Applications alltogether! No joke)
Just on 1 map this was a bit an annoying issue, as a special powerful long range MG was limited to some shoots, and my reaction to stop the MG was often too slow...lol
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

Constitution wrote:The issue seems to occur right when they pick up an MG flag, even without pressing the fire button.
correct, and it happens to me too although I do not have the wheel mapped to fire. I use the wheel to select a radar zoom or another. I invariably drop MG in no time. I consider it a bad flag because of this bug.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

z[h]ero wrote:(Still in my Bz i notice more bugs than in all my Applications alltogether! No joke)
You are always welcome to fix the bugs you come across and submit patches. There isn't any one person who's assigned to fixing bugs in BZFlag.