Version 1.9.x builds

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
KnightMare

Post by KnightMare »

Mandrake has problems because of a generic install of 3dmesa. I used to run Mandrake and that was the problem. See if it helps any when ya install a copy of 3dMesa....

If your just looking to get away from Mandrake all together and want better support. Try Redhat.... Most things are made to run on it...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

a RPM has been posted in the folder thanks to larsl.
ImageJeffM
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

Knightmare, thanks for the info...I did try to install 3dmesa and had error msgs as well with that.

I switched frm RH to MD awhile back - might be time to check it out once again!

Pat, larsl, thanks alot for the rpm! I ended up booting up win2000 and tested the win exe....Super! Couple of those flags are kinda funny!

Graphics are sort of choppy when making a turn, but other than that everything seemed to work great.

Thanks for all the hard work in creating this newer version.

Def
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Found a bug. When you have the burrow flag and drive up against the side wall of the map the server autokicks for leaving the world. Also when burrowed I can't change my radar, is this supposed to happen?
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

widowmaker wrote:Found a bug. When you have the burrow flag and drive up against the side wall of the map the server autokicks for leaving the world. Also when burrowed I can't change my radar, is this supposed to happen?
Abut (not) changing the radard: I think this is on purpouse: one of the balancing features of burrowing is limited visibility, and reduced radar makes sense.
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

I though so also but wasn't sure. Oh by the way are you supposed to be able to drive under pyrimids with the burrow flag?
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Windows compared to Linux "bug"?

Post by Defman »

Ok, this morning I was finally able to install 1.9.3 into MD Linux (thanks again larsl) and found something different between the Windows build and Linux RPM. After your tank gets blown up - your visual "leftovers" - the time it takes from after being blown up to being able to respawn - is MUCH less in the Windows build than Linux.

In linux it is much like it was in 1.7g2 and before - you blow up, you seem to see yourself being pushed up into the air - lets say it seems to be higher than you can jump...then you fall down, then you can respawn.

In Windows, you blow up, you seem to be only pushed up into the air no higher than the top of a tank, then you fall down and then you can respawn.

It seems it takes about 3 to 5 seconds before you can respawn in linux, but with windows it takes only a second or two.

BTW, is this the place you guys want us to post what we find?

Tanks, and keep up the good work!
Def
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

Bug reports should be added in the SourceForge bug tracker, here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=103248

since not all developers read this forum.

About the respawn time: Were you playing on different servers? In the new version the respawn time is a parameter that can be changed by the server admin. The default value is 5 seconds, and I think that I set it to 1 second on glasstowers.homelinux.net:20000 when I was playing with the settings.
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

larsl wrote: About the respawn time: Were you playing on different servers? In the new version the respawn time is a parameter that can be changed by the server admin. The default value is 5 seconds, and I think that I set it to 1 second on glasstowers.homelinux.net:20000 when I was playing with the settings.
That might have been the case, will check.

Since there is not alot of people using this version of BZ, I hope bringing in a few bots is ok for the time being.

If I find anything, will go to sf to post as well.

Tanks again
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

1.9.4 has entered the building test cycle.

it can be found here http://bzflag.dragon.org/builds/1.9/

if it is found to be acceptable it would be a release candiate for a 1.10 release.

Please test the heck out of it.
Last edited by JeffM on Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the host with the files is down. I'm trying to get it back, but I don't know when.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the server is back, at least for tongiht. it will be down tomrow to take care of some routing issues
ImageJeffM
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

widowmaker wrote:I though so also but wasn't sure. Oh by the way are you supposed to be able to drive under pyrimids with the burrow flag?

Widowmaker, thanks for the bug report.

The out of bounds kick you found with burrow has been fixed.

The pryamid thing you found has nothing to do with burrow, it's just a pyramid thing. Currently, BZFlag only checks the bottom of tanks for collisions with pyramids. So you see this 'anomoly' with burrow more, but it happens all the time without burrow as well. It just depends how the world designer set up the world.
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Help Please!

Post by MrApathyCream »

HI FOLKS!

We're very close to releasing 1.10 perhaps just a week or less, the problem is that we need testers to make sure it can go. So while it's a week away, it will stay a week away indefinitely. 1.9 has alot of sw33t stuff in it. And hopefully you will see some improvement in the network performance, so your lag goes down. To be proven i guess.

So please grab a copy and try it out. Please Please let us know if you find anything.

If you find that you are on a 1.9 server with no one else around, i'd ask that you try out Roger, the new AutoPilot.

start up bzflag like

bzflag -solo 3

(to add 3 robots, or however many you and your network connection likes)

and then hit the '9' key to engage Roger.

Roger is a more human-like robot that is similar to a newbie human. He uses flags, he dodges bullets, he jumps on buildings, and yes, he jumps too much to avoid shots. But he can usually pound a group of old robots. Sit back and enjoy the show.

Thanks very much for your help.

--Dave
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

just as a note, due to all the fun that bakaditital.come has been having ( the place where the builds are hosted ). Nidhoggr has been kind enough to proivde us with a place to store the bulds on dragon.org

the URL is

http://bzflag.dragon.org/builds/1.9/
ImageJeffM
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

When I play rabbit hunt it autokicks me for leaving the playing area for no reason.
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Kicking

Post by MrApathyCream »

widowmaker wrote:When I play rabbit hunt it autokicks me for leaving the playing area for no reason.

Under what circumstance?

Were you jumping? Did you have a speed modifying flags? Is you lag huge? Where you changing world parameters?

Any hints?

Thanks,
dave
The one and only ;-)
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The one and only ;-) »

First, let me ask, is this the place to post bugs? If not, I won't do it again. ;-)

OK, a few bugs:

MacOS X client, 1.9.4 build dated 10/1/03.

1. Looks like preferences aren't being saved between invocations of the program. This is most apparent in my nick not showing up. However, some of the GUI options don't seem to be being saved, either. Lighting, for instance.
[Note, this looks like it might be due to my nick of ';-)'. I'd hate to lose that nick in 1.9.]

2. I have "identify" mapped to 'q' under 1.7. However, under 1.9, the mapping doesn't seem to stick. If I go in and set it to 'q' or 'right button', when I get back to the game, it's still at 'i' or 'right button'.

3. On gravitywaves.<whatever> I regularly get the "XY bounds" kick. Haven't figured out what the parameters are yet. Other servers leave me on longer before getting that kick.

My only other complaint is that not enough people are playing 1.9! :-(

I'll try to get a new build and see how that works. Won't have time for this for a day or so, though.

Good work, though, guys!

; - )
a.k.a. "Winky"
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

There is one bug I noticed while testing rabbit hunt ... if you're the rabbit and get killed while one of your shots is still around, and the shots hits someone when you are not a rabbit anymore, it counts as a non-rabbit shot, which means that if it hits a non-rabbit it's a -1 ... is this WAD or a bug?
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

When I jumped, blew myself up or was just driving around on some of the servers available they would kick me for leaving the world. I didn't grab any flags and I don't think my lag was big.
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

you might have an out-of-date client, the releases have moved to....

http://bzflag.dragon.org/builds

see if it continues.....
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

oh, that may have been it. I had the 1.9.4 beta instead of the 1.9.5 beta.
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Yeah that fixed it. Noticed on the ducati server you can't jump as high, is this a tweak with the gravity? Also when you blow up on this server you go really high and I don't think that is supposed to happen!
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Yeah that fixed it. Noticed on the ducati server you can't jump as high, is this a tweak with the gravity? Also when you blow up on this server you go really high and I don't think that is supposed to happen!
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

one of the new admin commands is to interactively change gravity settings. It was probably left that way.

not sure about blowing up real high.........might want to get on when some of the developers are testing......check IRC stuff for that.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........