Server setup and to become an admin

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
AK-47
Private
Private

Server setup and to become an admin

Post by AK-47 »

Does anyone know how to be an admin or at least make a server? I have the beast of a map and I dont know how to use it. Please help.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I know how to start a test server and become admin on that test server (on Linux, anyway). The code to type into a terminal is:

Code: Select all

$ cd /path/to/map/and/config/file/
$ bzfs -world world_file.bzw -conf conf_file.conf -password password
Then in BZFlag, you join the server and to be admin on it, you type:

Code: Select all

Send to All:  /password password
on Mac or Windoze, the exact commands are probably different.
Last edited by clarahobbs on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
FKA Ratfink
blast
General
General

Re: Server setup and to become an admin

Post by blast »

AK-47 wrote:Does anyone know how to be an admin or at least make a server? I have the beast of a map and I dont know how to use it. Please help.
Running a server is not a trivial task. Please take the time to do some research on our own. There is a "search" button at the top of the page. You can also search the wiki, and read the documentation for BZFS that came with your copy of BZFlag.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

If you have a good map, why not put it under Map Releases and see if people like it? If its good, maybe somebody will host it for you. They might give you admin, they might not. It depends on how trustworthy they think you are.
The Soviets
Private
Private

Post by The Soviets »

AK-47 wrote:Does anyone know how to be an admin or at least make a server? I have the beast of a map and I dont know how to use it. Please help.
Hey AK-47! How did you make a map?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The Soviets wrote:Hey AK-47! How did you make a map?
A good place to start, is here http://my.bzflag.org/w/Category:Map_Making . Start reading. ;)
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
AK-47
Private
Private

BZEdit

Post by AK-47 »

I made a map on bzedit. Didnt expect you to be here, sov.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Here's an old file, it's in plain english, and designed for the absolute newb. mac and windows. most of the mac "stuff" works in linux too.
You'll need to update some of the places it say bzflag version 2.0.2 to 2.0.10
http://cbg.bzflag.org/images/A-Delusion ... c&Windows/

You guys gotta read the manpages too. I've been mapping 5 years, and the first thing i do when i am working is open up the bzw manual page.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.