FPEdit 1.3

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

FPEdit 1.3

Post by flying_popcorn »

New Version, 1.3. (July 2010) If you got an error that said "TTF Error," this fixes it. Basically, the code to find out where the blinky typing cursor is doesn't work with the latest version of sdl_perl (I think), so I just commented out that code. So now there is no cursor while typing. I might fix this at some point, but it's not really that important.

FPEdit is a simple map editing program I wrote. It is a 2d topdown editor. You can drag around objects with the mouse, you can resize objects by dragging on their corners, and the objects will snap together. It is designed it to make it easy to get things to line up.

This is a simple map editor I wrote mainly for fun.
It probably still has some bugs, so I recommend you only open copies of your maps with this editor.

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

To get the source code to run on Linux,
first make sure you have perl installed (it probably is already installed on your computer, if you're running linux)
install libsdl_perl (or sdl_perl or whatever the title of SDL Perl is)
Then change your current directory to the folder with bzmapeditor.pl in it
And then run ./bzmapeditor.pl

I don't know how to get it running on Windows or Mac OS X, but if you want to try and get SDL Perl running on either of those, good luck :)
Attachments
fpedit-source-1_3.tar.gz
(98.31 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
Last edited by flying_popcorn on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 14 times in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The windows version does not do anything.

it is not a valid windows application
ImageJeffM
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

Argh
I followed this tutorial which said it makes it into an exe but I guess it didn't work.
http://www.expertsrt.com/tutorials/Matt/perlPAR.html
I'll try to find another way to make an exe -- but for now it won't work on windows. :cry:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

umm those instructions say to build the exe on windows, not Linux. You have linux libraries packed into that exe/zip file.

I believe you are supposed to build the application on a windows system with full perl.
ImageJeffM
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

That looks pretty cool, I have a friend who wanted to get started mapping but found it daunting. I assume it's for making no-jumping maps?
Join MI6!
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

JeffM: Oh ok I'll try that, thx for info.
No, it's not for no-jumping maps. It's for all maps. You can change the zmin and zmax values so you can work on different layers of your map.
a flea
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: FPEdit (2d top-down map editor)

Post by a flea »

flying_popcorn wrote:FPEdit is a simple map editing program I wrote. It is a 2d topdown editor. You can drag around objects with the mouse, you can resize objects by dragging on their corners, and the objects will snap together. It is designed it to make it easy to get things to line up.

This is a simple map editor I wrote mainly for fun.
It probably still has some bugs, so I recommend you only open copies of your maps with this editor.

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Download for Linux You should be able to run it by extracting the files and then doing: cd "/path/to/directory/that/has/the/map/editor/in/it" and then: ./fpedit.out

Download for Windows EDIT: The windows version didn't work. I'll try to find another way to make an exe soon.

Or you can download the source code in the attachments.

I just tried it out and really liked it. It will be great using it with my future maps. Thanks!
flying_popcorn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flying_popcorn »

The map editor has been updated, and I fixed 2 bugs
1. If you click in the control panel area and there is an object "beneath" it, it will select that object.
2. When duplicating objects, it always makes the new object into a box and forgets the extra code.
These are now fixed in the new version, 1.1
Download it from the first post!
:)

Also, I'm having trouble getting sdl_perl installed on windows, so I don't think I'll be able to make a windows .exe.