Map Making: Half with IBZEDIT and the other half by band

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Map Making: Half with IBZEDIT and the other half by band

Post by allejo »

ok so anyway i'm on a mac and making maps. i'm working on a map on ibzedit and finished that half. but now i need to write the zones, world weapons, etc. by hand since ibzedit doesn't support those features. i know how to wirte the code for all of that but when i change the bz world(created with ibzedit)to text and when i write the rest of the map by hand how do i test it? and how do i get it back to the .bzw format after i'm done writing the zones, world weapons, etc.?

please help and again i'm on a MAC
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

It's best to just keep it in .bzw form. I keep TextEdit in the dock, so when I'm done with iBZEdit I can just drag the file over TextEdit and let go. It opens and you add in all the other stuff you want. Save it, (it should stay as .bzw) and open the Terminal. It's in Applications/Utilities and it's easier to keep this in the dock too if you do a lot of testing. Once it opens up, type

Code: Select all

bzfs -world path/to/your/world/file.bzw

That should set up a private server at localhost:5154. If you have bzflag in a different location, you need to set the path to bzfs too. Control click on the bzflag icon, and click Show Package Contents. In Contents/MacOS, drag the bzfs icon into the terminal window and let go. Add in the path to the map file like before.

/path/to/BZFlag-2.0.10.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs -world path/to/your/world/file.bzw
For more advanced stuff, try http://my.bzflag.org/w/Creating_A_Server and http://my.bzflag.org/w/BZFS_Command_Line_Options
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

I'm pretty sure that you can open up your preferred text editor, add in the missing features, then open up iBZEdit, watch the errors scroll by, and then use the Cmd-T that you use for testing with iBZEdit. It should open your map just fine. Once you have that, you can edit your map using your text editor, and iBZEdit should launch it. And remember, only use your text editor to save the map!
Jefenry wrote:Once it opens up, type

bzfs -world path/to/your/world/file.bzw
That should only work if you have BZFlag (and bzfs) in your $PATH, which usually means you built it from source. Which any serious map developer should do, so that they can have reasonable plugin support.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

F687/s wrote:That should only work if you have BZFlag (and bzfs) in your $PATH, which usually means you built it from source.
My client was built from source, but is in the standard Application directory.

:~ $ echo $PATH
...:/Applications/BZFlag.app/Contents/MacOS:...
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

thanks but when i try to do it on the terminal it says

-bash:/path/to/BZFlag-2.0.10.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs :No such file or directory

and i put the -world path/to/your/world/BZ Basketall.bzw

thanks for you help

but the dragging to textedit works fine
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Uh, heh.

You need to replace "/path/to/" with the actual location of the file, or program.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

It's also a good idea to make sure your map file doesn't have a space in the name. So I'd change BZ Basketall.bzw to BZ_Basketall.bzw.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

ok i di that and this popped up

Usage: /Users/name/Desktop/BZFlag-2.0.10.app/contents/macos/bzfs [-a <vel> <rot>] [-adminlagannounce <time>] [-admsg <text>] [-advertise <group>] [-autoTeam] [-b] [-badwords <filename>] [-ban ip{,ip}*] [-banfile <filename>] [-c] [-cache <url>] [-cacheout <filename>] [-conf <filename>] [-cr] [-d] [-density <num>] [-disableBots] [+f {good|<id>}] [-f {bad|<id>}] [-fb] [-filterCallsigns] [-filterChat] [-filterSimple] [-g] [-gndtex <texture>] [-groupdb <group>] [-h] [-handicap] [-helpmsg <file> <name>] [-i interface] [-j] [-jitterdrop <num>] [-jitterwarn <time>] [-lagannounce <time>] [-lagdrop <num>] [-lagwarn <time>] [-loadplugin <pluginname>] [-masterBanURL <URL>] [-maxidle <time>] [-mp {<count>|[<count>][,<count>][,<count>][,<count>][,<count>][,<count>]}] [-mps <score>] [-ms <shots>] [-mts <score>] [-noMasterBanlist] [-noradar] [-p <port>] [-packetlossdrop <num>] [-packetlosswarn <%>] [-passdb <password>] [-passwd <password>] [-pidfile <filename>] [-poll <variable>=<value>] [-printscore] [-public <server>] [-publicaddr <server>[:<server>]] [-publiclist <list>] [-q] [+r] [-rabbit [score|killer|random]] [-recbuf <Mbytes>] [-recbufonly] [-recdir <dirname>] [-replay] [-reportfile <filename>] [-reportpipe <filename>] [-requireudp] [+s <flag>] [-s <flag>] [-sa] [-sb] [-set <name> <value>] [-setforced <name> <value>] [-sl <id> <num>] [-spamtime <time>] [-spamwarn <warnAmt>] [-speedtol <tolerance>] [-srvmsg <text>] [-st <time>] [-sw <num>] [-synctime] [-synclocation] [-t] [-tftimeout <seconds>] [-time <seconds>] [-timemanual] [-tk] [-tkannounce] [-tkkr <percent>] [-ts [micros]] [-userdb <user>] [-vars <filename>] [-version] [-world <filename>] [-worldsize <world>] [-ws <number>]

is that what is supposed to happen?
and if so then what?
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

actually i don't have to do it like that i don't think because when i added a bow in text edit to a test map and i tested it it had the box. so anyway i think what F687/s said works out but if anyone can still help me with terminal please
I'm pretty sure that you can open up your preferred text editor, add in the missing features, then open up iBZEdit, watch the errors scroll by, and then use the Cmd-T that you use for testing with iBZEdit.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

one of your options is wrong..
what exactly did you put for the commandline?
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you read the line above that "usage" information it will tell you what was wrong.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

/Users/name/Desktop/BZFlag-2.0.10.app/contents/macos/bzfs

then i put the path to my bzw document which i don't remember what was the path but i just dragged the doc to the terminal
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you probably forgot -world

you should read the various postings and wiki pages on how to start a server.
ImageJeffM
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

when i do it i press control then click on the bzw then i do /open with/textedit/ then you make your zones and try to x out of it and it asks if u wanna save or not then its goes straight on to your bzw
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

ok thanks i think i'm going to stick with opening bzw in textedit and save it as bzw and test it out in ibzedit it's much easier but thanks everyone!