What Makes A Good Teammate?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class

What Makes A Good Teammate?

Post by The Vet »

A while back, we asked what makes a good BZFlag player. So to level up, what makes a good BZFlag teammate?

- Communicates well
- Watches your back
- Cooperates
- Doesn't tk or do stuff to mess things up
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Astroman »

-Dosn't freak out when you accidently tk him/her.
-Dosn't tk repetedly or on purpose.
-Will work with the team (instead of as a loner).
-Complements the team when they cap or geno. (everybody likes to be complemented)
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." -Mary Gardiner Brainard
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Hmm...

- Well, for starters a good teammate is a good player.
- Also, a good teamwork understands the map, it's layout, and what is best for the team. If it's an FFA, they should protect their teammate. More on CTFs later.
- A good teammate should use the team channel effectively. Messages like "ST mid" or "geno" help quite a bit to raise awareness to the situation. A good teammate SHOULD NOT spam the team channel!
- A good teammate should help his teammates wisely. For example, TKing somebody is always bad, even where you may think it is justifiable (such as "if they have geno", "if they are tking", "if they have a bad flag/about to die anyway"...)
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

F687/s wrote:For example, TKing somebody is always bad, even where you may think it is justifiable (such as "if they have geno", "if they are tking", "if they have a bad flag/about to die anyway"...)
I would beg to disagree. If done in very specific situations and followed by an apologetic explanation, I don't see why team killing can't be effective sometimes. In CTF games in particular, you can save a high percentage of your team from dying (and possibly save your flag from capture) by killing a teammate as they are about to be shot with Genocide. Likewise, if you have a Shock Wave and are in position to stop a capture, you would likely fire it even if there were teammates in range.

Sometimes the good of the team has to come before the good of individual players.

(Note that this is all on a strictly pragmatic point of view; if the server rules forbid team killing, then it's obviously not a commendable action.)
dexter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dexter »

Are we talking about the standard public server team mates, or league team mates? There's a decisive difference.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Constitution wrote:I would beg to disagree. If done in very specific situations and followed by an apologetic explanation, I don't see why team killing can't be effective sometimes. In CTF games in particular, you can save a high percentage of your team from dying (and possibly save your flag from capture) by killing a teammate as they are about to be shot with Genocide. Likewise, if you have a Shock Wave and are in position to stop a capture, you would likely fire it even if there were teammates in range.
Yes, but if you had the uber-1337 skillz to pull this off and do it in a way that looks as though you cared about your team, then you would be a very good teammate already. But those are very specialized examples that have about a 1/1000 chance of happening to you, and there's almost a better way around the situation.

(I might have been a bit misleading with my "if they have geno" comment. There are a few people that will kill a teammate with geno because they distrust the holder, and think they will TK or SK.)
Joe B
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe B »

F687/s wrote:
Constitution wrote:I would beg to disagree. If done in very specific situations and followed by an apologetic explanation, I don't see why team killing can't be effective sometimes. In CTF games in particular, you can save a high percentage of your team from dying (and possibly save your flag from capture) by killing a teammate as they are about to be shot with Genocide. Likewise, if you have a Shock Wave and are in position to stop a capture, you would likely fire it even if there were teammates in range.
Yes, but if you had the uber-1337 skillz to pull this off and do it in a way that looks as though you cared about your team, then you would be a very good teammate already. But those are very specialized examples that have about a 1/1000 chance of happening to you, and there's almost a better way around the situation.

(I might have been a bit misleading with my "if they have geno" comment. There are a few people that will kill a teammate with geno because they distrust the holder, and think they will TK or SK.)
Believe it or not that 1/1000 chance happens more than you think. In missile war, enemy geno often hide in the pyramids a team mate walks right into them, if I have a gm out in the field(I often do) I'm gonna lock on and tk. With any luck the geno will have already fired a few shots and lost their geno. This helps the team further.

Strangely it is bad manners to self-destruct if you think you will get geno'd.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

dexter wrote:Are we talking about the standard public server team mates, or league team mates? There's a decisive difference.
I was talking about teammates in CTF games with superflags. Note that the examples I gave had the Genocide and Shock Wave flags. Most of the leagues that I'm aware of do not use superflags.