Will create game server for $30/month

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Will create game server for $30/month

Post by that exploding tank »

For all you people who are wanting cheap game servers out there and don't want to have to spend $100+ a month for the server... I can set you up with a dedicated server with 300GB bandwidth/month.

The catch? I need 5 people who will each commit to pay $30 a month before I can set up the server. Each person who signs up will get SSH access, 16GB of disk space (more than enough needed for many BZFlag servers), and 1 fixed IP. The server would be running off of 1GB of RAM.

If you want additional IPs, it's just $1 extra per month.

This is not spam, as I am targeting this specifically toward potential BZFlag server owners.

So, if you want to commit to paying $30 a month for your own game server, then please post below. Thank you!
Last edited by that exploding tank on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamburger ham
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hamburger ham »

Why must it be 5 people paying $6 each instead of 1 person paying 30?
HH
There's no ham in hamburgers!----===
--=
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

hamburger ham wrote:Why must it be 5 people paying $6 each instead of 1 person paying 30?
Where have you got $6 each from? Looks to me like $30 each, which would make $150 total for exploding tank to cover the costs of running the server. However, I don't know how many people will be interested - you might want to post some more specs, exploding tank. For example bandwidth, ISP, any further limitations on use.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

First of all, there are already a lot of server owners out there who are providing free or low-cost hosting to a lot of different people (for instance, the MoFo clan, blast, Tadd, and myself). Is this a server that you already have, or are you trying to get the funds together to start this kind of service? You may find that monthly financial commitments are hard to come by. As for the price, I personally consider it to be a bit high, since you can get a full dedicated server to yourself for less than $50 a month from providers such as Sagonet.

Secondly, from http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10642
that exploding tank wrote: I'm feeling that people will not want to pledge their $50/year in order to support a gaming server. Besides, it kind of goes against the principle of BZFlag, where everything offered here is absolutely free, with the possible exception of server maintenance costs. Furthermore, there really is no way to effectively advertise this, and if I am thinking right, it is against the forum rules to advertise for any service here that costs money.
Not sure how to reconcile what you said about a year ago about how all hosting should be "free" to your present offer to host servers for $30 a month. Has your point of view changed? Are there new factors for consideration?
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Constitution: Since I quit playing BZFlag about 6 months ago, I started the innocuous, frustrating, mind-boggling task of being the webmaster of several sites (and recently, the host of several sites). I have since discovered why it costs so damn much to run a dedicated server; it's because it takes so much time to maintain and so much money to have a good connection.

Also, the price is a little high compared to Sagonet because with the price, you also get software like cPanel/WHM and WHMCS, which, if bought standalone, would cost $425/year (or $1499 one-time).

Furthermore, looking at Sagonet, they only give out 1 TB of bandwidth, compared to the 1.5 that I am proposing (a $75 upgrade with Sagonet). (Yes, divided by 5, this comes out to be more than 150 GB, it has been corrected in the first post). Second, to get cPanel, you need to cough up another $31.50 (I'm not sure WHM is included). Third, my server has a 100Mbit uplink, while Sagonet only has 10Mbit standard (the 100Mbit is a $15 upgrade). Finally, my servers are fully managed and monitored 24/7 ($10 with Sagonet).

Yes, cPanel is really meant for web servers, but there is a module included that lets you configure your own SSH keys, which is necessary to run bzfs with. Of course, if you wanted to run a web server along with your game server....

All in all, $150 is actually a good deal for what you get...

Finally, from my experiences with Mofo and Tadd before I left, I found that it is actually more worth it to just host your map yourself (no offense, Optic and tadd).

Spazzy: I think you'll find the further specs are listed above, and I really don't see the point of limiting further usage on a server that you pay $30 a month for; if you abuse it, you lose it.
50 Bucks -er- Buckos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pfffft

Post by 50 Bucks -er- Buckos »

Why can't you just start your own? Is it really THAT hard? :?
"The grand old dupe of dorks, he had ten thousand tanks, he drove them up to the top of the hill and I shot them down again."
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Pfffft

Post by Spazzy McGee »

50 Bucks -er- Buckos wrote:Why can't you just start your own? Is it really THAT hard? :?
If your server becomes popular, you're going to struggle on the average home connection.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

but till it get's popular it is a long way ...

Just a few questions:

1. What would make YOUR servers be played ?
2. Why should someone pay 30 $ a month to have their own server, if there are already too many servers out there (Check the player count --> Way too many Servers)

I dislike the line: If you abuse it you are out. I guess you need every single one that pays for that server, and you can't kick them out that easy. (At least if you don't want to pay 60 $). I guess you need to find some "trusted players / friends first and then start such a project)
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
50 Bucks -er- Buckos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Oh

Post by 50 Bucks -er- Buckos »

Oh I see
"The grand old dupe of dorks, he had ten thousand tanks, he drove them up to the top of the hill and I shot them down again."