Zones

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Zones

Post by allejo »

Ok I have a question...

I want to have two different zones for one team. But if the team member gets shot by some one else I want to spawn in a certain place. But if you get shot by a world weapon you spawn at your base again is that possible? If not, I remember on a map called dodgeball, I think that's what it was called, that once a team killed everyone on the other team then they all died and spawn at their own bases but if they got shot they were in "jail". Is it possible i can have something on my map like that but instead of everyone dyeing when the other team is in jail can i have everyone dyeing and spawning at their own bases when any team flag is captured,but still if they got shot i want them to spawn some where else. Please help me. I know tis isn't that clear but tell me how i can clear it up.

Thank you
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

Um...sounds to me like you need a plugin. I'm not the best map maker in existance, but you will have to tell the server a plugin.

(Hope you can script.)

Hope that helps!

-Bucko
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

sounds like dodgeball, but not exactly. I don't think the dodgeball plugin was ever released publicly. If it was, I'd probably have a copy.
I'll see if i can find it, I got some good ideas on where to look.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

thank you Optic Delusion. if you find something that might help me please tell me. And Big Old Bad Bucko sorry but i don't know how to script, yet. I am planning to learn when i get into 12th grade or in College. only a few years away. so um thank you optic delusion for taking the time to look for me. thank you. ;)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

not good.

Post by optic delusion »

the dodgeball plugin was hardcoded for the specific map it was designed for. it can be used only on that map. To be used on another map, it would need to be completely re-written to accept a configuration file. It does not look good for you.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:And Big Old Bad Bucko sorry but i don't know how to script, yet. I am planning to learn when i get into 12th grade or in College.
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today." If you're like most people, you'll be far busier in college than you are right now. The best time to learn a new skill is right now.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Well i will have to see what i can do with the plugin. And Constitution i am planning to try to learn some scripting over the summer but i am going to be busy i so i will see what i can learn. but do you recommend any books that might help me learn?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:but do you recommend any books that might help me learn?
It depends on what you want to learn. Beginner's programming books can get you started with basic concepts and syntax, but game programming gets significantly more complicated than that. I started out with a few books, but I got into more advanced development by looking at and messing with existing code.

If you learn well from books, I'd say that's a good place to start.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

alright. thanks.

what would c++ be then?
50 Bucks -er- Buckos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 50 Bucks -er- Buckos »

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today,"
wrote Constitution.

That excludes dying, right? :D
"The grand old dupe of dorks, he had ten thousand tanks, he drove them up to the top of the hill and I shot them down again."
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

yes it does 50 bucks -er- buckos
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

But if the team member gets shot by some one else I want to spawn in a certain place.
you can control it with a simple code in the map file.
the zone lets you create a specific area for a certain flag or a certain team to spawn.
watch in the following sample for the zone-code where it says "team": it defines to spawm on a base with the number for each color:
team players will spawn (0 - Rogue, 1 - Red, 2 - Green, 3 - Blue, 4 - Purple).

Code: Select all

zone
  name name1
  position 0 0 0
  size 25 25 25
  rotation 0
#zoneflag (flagtype number of flags-disabled)
  team (0 - Rogue, 1 - Red, 2 - Green, 3 - Blue, 4 - Purple)
  safety 1
 end
if you want to disable one or more features, simply but an "#" in front of the line ....
for more details, check the wiki page @ http://my.bzflag.org/w/Zone
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

I already know how to write a zone. But what i know i need is plugin. thanks for your help everyone.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Ha You Got Shot By Me wrote:I already know how to write a zone. But what i know i need is plugin. thanks for your help everyone.
You'll have to write one. There is not a publicly released plugin that will do what you want, afaik.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)