Rabbit Hunt Teamkilling

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
Torabashiri
Private First Class
Private First Class

Rabbit Hunt Teamkilling

Post by Torabashiri »

I've just been on a rabbit hunt, as top player got tked 7 times by the bottom player (naming no names). he informs me this is fine as its "strategy" to stop some players dominating the game... I'm outraged by this but a poll to kick was not successful so maybe other people agree with him? I'd like to know if my view on this is right as I am kinda worked up about it. Grr. :x
Neko no Ongaeshi
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Rabbit Hunt Teamkilling

Post by z[h]ero »

Your view is absolute understandable and correct.
In worst case, you need to search for a better admin-conducted server.
(Or try for example to find and contact the server owner in order to solve the issue)
Torabashiri wrote:but a poll to kick was not successful so maybe other people agree with him?
Too often i was witness of absolute justifiable and necessary "poll kicks", that didn't succeed.
Means, people either don't know how to vote, or are too ignorant, or don't know whetever to vote with YES or NO, or don't see the issue, or whatever. So a failed poll doesn't implicate a disagreement.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Torabashiri
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Torabashiri »

Thanks- (I've calmed down a bit now) 8)
Neko no Ongaeshi
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

No problem.
or don't know whetever to vote with YES or NO
To be more concrete in your case: I guess many players simply don't know whether you really got teamkilled several times by the same person.
For example i'm sometimes a bit surprised when even admins ask: "How you know that he did x teamkills?"
But i'm NOT really surprised, as from my own experience, before i got responsible jobs i was TOTALLY disinterested about the possibilities and features of BZ, too. So i needed about 2 years or even more (for real, lol!) to find out, that the one column represents the teamkillings of each player.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
Torabashiri
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Torabashiri »

Neko no Ongaeshi
Quantum Tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quantum Tank »

Teamkilling is always teamkilling, no matter what "strategy" it is part of (unless its in the rare case where A) somebody is trying to tk you and you're defending yourself or B) they are running the team flag), and a poll is definitely justified. However, if somebody is really breaking the rules, its better to poll ban and not poll kick, because just in case the poll actually succeeds, you want the problem taken care of permanently (or at least for 5 hours...).
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

I know how you feel, Tora (and I can probably guess which map and player you're referring to ;) ). It's really frustrating to get people like that on any map, and even more frustrating to get bogged down in the senseless excuses they try to use to defend their actions. It's one of the unfortunate conditions of being at the top of the list - you tend to attract the unwanted attention of immature idiots.

I also remember when player apathy seemed to be at an all-time high about a year or two ago, when rampant cheaters would run around a map for hours and survive poll ban after poll ban - even though there were plenty of registered players, most of whom knew how to use the voting system, none of them were willing to take the 5 or 10 seconds out of their play time it took to cast a vote.

Nowadays, though, I've noticed that it's definitely a lot less a matter of player apathy and simply one of newer players who just aren't familiar with how the polling system works. I rarely ever see anyone say "why bother?" these days, but plenty of people asking "how do I vote?", so I guess there is still hope for the general community at large. :P
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Torabashiri
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Torabashiri »

Argharghargharghargh!
It's just happened again
:evil:
but thanks for all your sympathy/support/advice, guys
8)
Neko no Ongaeshi