Checkmate

User made maps to use on servers.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Checkmate

Post by Jefenry »

Here's a new map that I've worked on over the last few days. It's just a quick one so I don't get burnt out on a much bigger map that's in the works. ;D

Flags and tanks only spawn in the squares where the chessmen are when you begin a game. I tried to pick flags that have some resemblance to the chessman they represent:

Code: Select all

King - SW
Queen - L
Bishop - WG
Knight - GM
Rook - F
Pawn - SH, CL, ST, SE
The map's pretty open, but Laser has a long reload time so I don't think it's too much of a problem. There are plenty of flags to help counter the more powerful superflags.

The squares are surrounded by a low grid that must be jumped over to get to the other squares. The top face has death physics on it, so accurate jumping is required.

Too bad I can't have a team of rogues and a team of rabbits though. I renamed my textures when I played with some bots to match the color scheme, but they didn't seem to be in the mood to play. :)
Attachments
Checkmate.bzw
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
(17.12 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Chessmen.jpg
The pieces
(146.28 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Checkmate.jpg
The map
(184.05 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Last edited by Jefenry on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Astroman »

Thats awesome, good job. (the flag-zones are a nice touch...)
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." -Mary Gardiner Brainard
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

i agree and the choices of flags for each "pawn".
Acmex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Acmex »

Looks cool.
Acmex says:

Hi.
Bye.
Acmex!
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

beautiful job. Man jefenry what do you use to make all of these? Wings3D or blender? This is amazing. and good job on the flag choices. ;)

where is this hosted?
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Astroman »

Can't speak for Jefenry, but I believe that he edits by hand... (am I right Jef?)
"I would rather walk with God in the dark than go alone in the light." -Mary Gardiner Brainard
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

Astroman wrote:Can't speak for Jefenry, but I believe that he edits by hand... (am I right Jef?)
All my maps have had some hand coding, although I'm getting into it a lot more now. I've gotten a better idea of how map objects work and what can be done through hand coding, stuff that was hard for me to pick up in ibzedit.

This map is all hand coded except for the grid. I added a screenshot of the pieces to my original post, it should give you a better idea of how they were made. Arcs, cones, and spheres are really versatile.
lol_u died wrote:where is this hosted?
Currently, at localhost:5154 :wink:

Thanks for the comments.
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Astroman »

Very clever...
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ahs3 »

Its up at ahs3.no-ip.biz:7425

enjoy

--ahs3
Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amoeba »

This is an interesting map indeed. And quite original, I might add. I would however enjoy playing with other players... :x
Yojimbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yojimbo »

ahs3 wrote:Its up at ahs3.no-ip.biz:7425
Very useful, thanks ahs3.

The map looked very nice; I liked the gravity/jump height, it makes it easy enough to jump squares ... but not too easy!

Perhaps some different textures and square colours would help to jazz it up ... it might not need this however.

Great stuff!
Yojimbo Sanjuro -- bodyguard for hire. Ronin admin, still missing Hepcat and Silvercat ...
Astroman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Astroman »

Yojimbo wrote:Perhaps some different textures and square colours would help to jazz it up ... it might not need this however.
But it's a chessboard, have you ever seen a colorful chessboard?