RatBZEdit - Yet another map editor, only made with Python!

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

RatBZEdit - Yet another map editor, only made with Python!

Post by clarahobbs »

I am working on a multi-platform BZFlag map editor made with Python and wxPython. It is still in development, and is not yet able to open or save files. Despite these setbacks, I am working on it almost every day, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
ratbzedit.tar.gz
The first (pre-pre-alpha) release of RatBZEdit
(1008.87 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
FKA Ratfink
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Ratfink, this is very exciting sounding :o

There is 1 thing that is more important than everything, and that's distribution . Either make sure it's easy for everybody to install when it's in a working condition, or make a nice guide.

There was an earlier Python editor, and it was extremely hard to install and if you didn't install right it was buggy.

Thanks for your hard work!
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Multi-Platform? Does that mean it works on any OS? And I used Winzip to extract the file I was expecting a easy install. Perhaps you can find some software that makes installations for you like Windows Installer. And maybe you can name it Ratfink Map builder Beta1 or something like that. But if can and if you think you want some other people to critic your builder I would recommend finding a software that will allow you to make an installation process. (like the same software bzflag used to install bzflag or whatever) But other than that I'm really exited and I know you did a good job. But while I'm waiting for an easy install... does the builder have any textures like iBZedit? I think iBZedit is my favorite map builder.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

lol_u died wrote:Perhaps you can find some software that makes installations for you like Windows Installer
It's called python. It's a scripting language. You don't "install" the scripts, you run it from the python interpreter.
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I could make a Windows installer (Even from my Linux computer!). However, right now it does nothing, so making an installer would be pointless. To make it a good editor, I will need help with the OpenGL code. Of course anyone who knows Python can help me, and any help is appreciated.
FKA Ratfink
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Winny wrote: It's called python. It's a scripting language. You don't "install" the scripts, you run it from the python interpreter.
So can you download this python interpreter you say? is it some kind of software?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

lol_u died wrote:So can you download this python interpreter you say? is it some kind of software?
Ever heard of Google? It's this amazing thing you can use to search the internet.

Gee, look what the first result was for "python": http://www.python.org/
Mets
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mets »

udied, to give you a kinder answer, yes. You install the python interpreter to run python programs, just like you install a JVM to run Java programs and web applets. Go to http://www.python.org/download/ and get the windows installer, then you should be able to run his program.
lol_u died

Post by lol_u died »

Mets wrote:udied, to give you a kinder answer, yes. You install the python interpreter to run python programs, just like you install a JVM to run Java programs and web applets. Go to http://www.python.org/download/ and get the windows installer, then you should be able to run his program.
Thank you Mets. That was kinder and very polite. ok thanks for the info. I was just wondering.
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

I get an error, I'm on linux, and I typed in command:
python /home/whyshoulditellyoumyusername/Desktop/ratbzedit/ratbzedit.py
which gave me this error:
Error importing module: No module named wordwrap
HELP!
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.