Driving up obstacles ...

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
Yojimbo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Driving up obstacles ...

Post by Yojimbo »

What are the 'rules' for a tank driving up onto a surface?

In testing, I can get a tank to drive almost automatically onto a surface about 0.2 units higher than the current surface ... but it still impedes movement a little. I've tested down as far as a height of 0.01, and this will still occasionally 'halt' a tank as it drives over it.

My goal was to create a ramp, made of a series of surfaces, each one only a little bit higher than the last. But when I do, the tank ends up getting stuck on most of the steps; sometimes to the extent that it can't even jump.

Is this just impossible to achieve reliably in v2? Will it work in v3? Can we have inclined surfaces?
Yojimbo Sanjuro -- bodyguard for hire. Ronin admin, still missing Hepcat and Silvercat ...
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Driving up surfaces has never been supported, and I doubt it ever will. The closest thing you can get is with the _maxBumpHeight variable, which allows you to "bump" onto boxes by driving onto them. You can also jump up obstacles by setting _noClimb to 0. However, there isn't a way to drive up them as of yet.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You can sort of fake driving up a slope by using a physics driver, but it's not an overly good solution.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Try this, I was able to drive up this slope. The tank bounced up hill. Seemed to work a little better if you had wings. I think it helps if you use spin twice in the group, instead of "spin .08 1 1 0"

-set _noClimb 0
-set _maxBumpHeight 1

define cube
mesh
vertex 15.0 6.0 0.0
vertex -15.0 6.0 0.0
vertex -15.0 -6.0 0.0
vertex 15.0 -6.0 0.0
vertex 15.0 6.0 30.0
vertex -15.0 6.0 30.0
vertex -15.0 -6.0 30.0
vertex 15.0 -6.0 30.0

texcoord 0 0
texcoord 1 0
texcoord 1 1
texcoord 0 1
face
vertices 3 2 1 0
endface
face
vertices 4 5 6 7
endface
face
vertices 3 0 4 7
endface
face
vertices 1 5 4 0
texcoords 2 3 0 1
endface
face
vertices 1 2 6 5
endface
face
vertices 2 3 7 6
texcoords 3 0 1 2
endface
end
enddef

group cube
spin .08 0 1 0
spin .08 1 0 0
end
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Driving up obstacles ...

Post by JeffM »

Yojimbo wrote:Will it work in v3? Can we have inclined surfaces?
Tanks will never tilt in any version. 3.0 currently has no enhancements to collisions.
ImageJeffM
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

this "ramp" should work because that is Flying_popcorn uses in us map escalators and elevators. :D