BZFlag won't launch

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
big_dog1968
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag won't launch

Post by big_dog1968 »

I installed BZFlag in Linux Mint xcfe/Hardy Heron.
When I launch I get:
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 134 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
Value in failed request: 0x63
Serial number of failed request: 149
Current serial number in output stream: 151

I opened it windowed and then chaged the resolution and that seemed to work, but the setting won't save. I am having to set this every time.

Is there a way to set the resolution permanently to the desired resolution that works? The save option in the game did nothing. Is there a config file where the resolution can be edited ,manually? If so where?
:?
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

The config file is located at: ~/.bzf/2.0/config.cfg
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

You should look for something like

Code: Select all

set resolution "1680x1050    "
in the config file. Obviously you are likely to use a different resolution..so replace the numbers with something you like, x is the seperator.

A friend of me had a similar problem a few days ago, too.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
big_dog1968
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag won't launch

Post by big_dog1968 »

I have mint 6 installed now and can't find the config file. is it somewhere new in 2.0.10.20071115?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The configuration file is created by BZFlag, and on linux, it gets stored in ~/.bzf/2.0/config.cfg as it always has. Are you getting some error? (What exactly is leading you to believe it can't find the config?) You could also try deleting your existing ~/.bzf/ directory if one exists.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

big_dog1968
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by big_dog1968 »

blast wrote:The configuration file is created by BZFlag, and on linux, it gets stored in ~/.bzf/2.0/config.cfg as it always has. Are you getting some error? (What exactly is leading you to believe it can't find the config?) You could also try deleting your existing ~/.bzf/ directory if one exists.
The problem was that the /.bzf/2.0/config.cfg file was not created at installation by Synaptic. the folder was not even there. The .bzf directory was in my home folder, but not the /2.0 sub directory. I uninstalled and then reinstalled BZFLAG, and the folder and config file were created. I was then able to set the resolution, which is always a problem on this system. My other PC never has a resolution problem, but this one does. Long story short - problem solved. Thanks for the help. :D
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

run bzflag -window -geometry 800x600 to get it to start the first time, then set your resolution.

your video driver is not reporting valid configurations for us to pick up on.
ImageJeffM