rented linux root server

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

rented linux root server

Post by zaphod »

as JeffM wrote how to set up your server, i found this in it :
Some Linux binary packages may not contain it, so you may need to download a separate "server" package (for debian-based distros in particular, bzflag-server is necessary).
i recently rented a server and have some "bandwith" to share ;-)
the goal is to offer a "faster" map-hosting for "my" maps and to share that free-server-space with the bzf-community!
the server runs on Linux SuSE and i wonder where i could find that
> separate "server" package
anybody an idea?

i'm afraid a lot of other question will follow before everything will run smoothly, especially after hosting bzflag for 5 years on my Mac OS Server .... "everything" seems to be so different .... hope you will be patient with me ! ;-)
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: rented linux root server

Post by ahs3 »

zaphod wrote:as JeffM wrote how to set up your server, i found this in it :
Some Linux binary packages may not contain it, so you may need to download a separate "server" package (for debian-based distros in particular, bzflag-server is necessary).
i recently rented a server and have some "bandwith" to share ;-)
the goal is to offer a "faster" map-hosting for "my" maps and to share that free-server-space with the bzf-community!
the server runs on Linux SuSE and i wonder where i could find that
> separate "server" package
anybody an idea?

i'm afraid a lot of other question will follow before everything will run smoothly, especially after hosting bzflag for 5 years on my Mac OS Server .... "everything" seems to be so different .... hope you will be patient with me ! ;-)
"bzflag-server" , however i would recommend building from source.

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Download
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

honestly i have no idea how to complie for SuSE on my mac ......!
anyway would that be possible ???
what else has to be on the server?
bzfs is enough?
see...you'll need a lot of patience !
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

While I applaud the people who have the money, knowhow, and most importantly, time, for their own dedicated server – I must ask why setup another? There is likely a half dozen people with their own dedicated servers (myself included) that are able to host some maps for free or very low cost.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I don't care or don't want you to have one. That's great you got one and you're learning. :)

What is the IP or hostname that people could ping and traceroute to so that they can see if it fits their needs?
zaphod wrote:honestly i have no idea how to complie for SuSE on my mac ......!
anyway would that be possible ???
what else has to be on the server?
bzfs is enough?
see...you'll need a lot of patience !
You must compile on your server unless you want to set-up compilation on your Mac. There are many guides on the net how to do this.

I would also take a serious look at security on your server and general set-up. Setting up a Linux server is not a "set it and forget it" thing, it requires dedication and knowhow.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'd recommend just compiling directly on the SuSE system. Saves you from having to set up cross-compiling on your Mac. If you disable bzadmin and the full graphical client, you'll need less dependencies.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

blast wrote:I'd recommend just compiling directly on the SuSE system. Saves you from having to set up cross-compiling on your Mac. If you disable bzadmin and the full graphical client, you'll need less dependencies.
Er, yeah, I meant that there are many guides on the net on how to compile on Linux/SuSE.

I would also strongly not recommend cross-compilation for many different reasons.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

ok .... up and running !!!
its fast and reliable ... !
ready to host good maps in Europe ;-)
PM me if you think your map is worth hosting !!!