Previews and comments on future maps.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

ArenaCTF - Rev. 6

Post by F687/s »

Thought I had stopped making maps, huh?
Well, yeah, but...

Anyways, this is your typical 4-Team CTF map. However, there are two sets of flags, one in the middle of the map and one at the base. The idea is that most of the fighting will occur in the center, but the base must also be guarded. Kind of interesting to see how strategy will play out...

As said, this is a work in progress, so feel free to make any suggestions on how to improve it, like a better name. Also, some of the textures are locally hosted (for now), so keep that in mind.

I hope you like it.

EDIT: The Revision 1 map and screenshots are in this post. If you want the latest version(s) of the map, please view the posts below.
Attachments
splitctf.bzw
The BZW file.
(11.49 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
bzfi0149.png
A screenie
(727.36 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
bzfi0150.png
A map overhead.
(943.32 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Last edited by F687/s on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Looks good. Maybe some more defense around each base area?

Glad to see some more maps from you!
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

If you want most of the fighting to be in the middle, make people _want_ to go to the middle. Some people will see that it might be easier to just shortcut to the nearest base. Like AHA said, make the bases a little more defended so people will try to get the middle flags.

It looks as though the middle team flags correspond to the colored boxes in the middle? This _might_ make it too easy for the team closest to the box, and hard to defend.

I have no idea for a name. ;)

Cool idea and an interesting map. You could probably make a really fun map with this idea.

Just my thoughts.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I currently have it running at bzexcess.com port 5162 if anyone wants to try it out.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Abominable
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Abominable »

The map looks cool, but the flags are quite easy to capture.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

> It looks as though the middle team flags correspond to the colored boxes
> in the middle? This _might_ make it too easy for the team closest to the
> box, and hard to defend.

Yeah, I don't think that was the smartest move on my part...

I revised the map in a few minor ways, such as...
* The middle flags are now on the side closest to the base, rather than the opposite, which should make capping a little harder for the other teams.
* I added a few more pyramids by the base area, as well as a wall on the outside of the base area (for rico).
* I also tried to add some superflags near the bases. Might add some more zones as time goes on.
* I dropped the tank speed from 37.5 to 32.5. Because I felt like it.

Depending on how it turns out, I might add spawn zones so that each team spawns in their team's quadrant, but that might encourage spawn camping. I have the latest revision posted (textures are still locally hosted). Tell me what you think, and let me know if you have any suggestions.
Attachments
splitctf.bzw
The actual map.
(13.93 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
bzfi0151.png
A screenie
(970.68 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
bzfi0153.png
The new overhead view.
(850.1 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
splitctf_textures.zip
The textures I used. Might be useful to hosters. (right now...)
(7.41 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

When you made the above revisions to the map, because of the pyramids now closer to it, you can jump up onto the top of the four trapezoids from a pyramid next to it, which you couldn't do in the first revision. Look at the overhead screenie if you don't understand.

Don't know if you intended this but if you didn't want it I though I'd just point it out, since you say you intended the pyramids for rico.

*just in case you care*
Enigma
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enigma »

I really like the aesthetics of this map, but its playability could be improved. Although the tank speed is lower than what it was originally, it can still go lower, especially since people can zip across the map with the high speed flag. This becomes worse with the addition of an extra team flag per team, as players can quickly get to a team flag, which is harder to defend, as there are two of them. There is also a problem with lagged fast tanks: they are hard to shoot. My last gripe has to do with the structures, or lack thereof; the map could use more places to hide and ricochet shots off of.

Just my 2 cents...

I hope I didn't sound too negative, because I think it's a great map.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Thanks for the input Enigma. And no, I don't think you sounded too negative, but you made some very good points.

So here's what I did for Revision 4:
* Backed the tank speed down from 32.5 to 27.5. At this rate, I should have it down to 15.0 by the final release! ;-)
* Textures are now hosted on images.bzflag.org.
* Fixed some minor overlapping-texture issues.
* Added a minor flag patch in the center of the map, for those who forgot to get their flags by the bases.
* Set spawn zones so tanks spawn in the quadrant that their base is located. Mainly so tanks don't spawn "way out there."
* Extended the half-hexagon on the sides into a full-hexagon, which doubles as a half-hearted attempt at a GM camping spot. Because I hate camping, it's really only useful as a spot to pick up your (shot-limited) GM flags.
* I reworked the base areas, removed some pyramids, and put in a giant arc. Aside from making it 1% more like Missile Wars 1, it should add more rico possibilities in a way only an arc can.
* Speaking of the base, I raised it up so that it takes 2 jumps (most of the time) to get up to it, preventing quick flag-caps. It kinda makes it look a little uglier, but Nobody Cares.
* Added some filler to either block or dislodge shots. No real "hiding spots," but it should add some cover, right?

The map is attached, and screenshots can be found here and here (due to the forum rejecting my attachments). Have fun. And tell me what you think.

(P.S. Congratulations to Wreckage for winning the "finding the minor glitch that goes unnoticed and ends up being released in every map" award! At least this one got caught...)
Attachments
splitctf.bzw
The .bzw file
(16.8 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

I like what you've done with each revision. The arch in front of each base add a lot to the map. I'm patiently waiting for revision 119028 where the map becomes so good, it explodes ;)
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Currently running @ my.bzpro.net:5155. Stop by if you want to take a look.
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Here's some more improvements I tried to make. I haven't been able to play it much (with people), so I don't really know what to improve.

Changes for Revision V:
* Removed the box-pyra things (seemed to cluttery) and replaced them with arcs.
* Fixed a bug that involved a see-through wall having a opaque texture due to some bad copy-and-paste.
* Extended the base arcs so that you have to jump over them to get out. Seems a bit more Missile War-y, but I'm willing to take that risk.
* Changed the name for purely marketing purposes. Not sure if it's gonna be the final name, though...
* Move around various stuff....

As usual, I have posted the .bzw file, as well as some screenshots. Have fun. And tell me if you have any suggestions as to how to make this map better.
Attachments
arenactf.bzw
The .bzw world file.
(17.32 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
bzfi0164.png
The overhead view of the map.
(625.39 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
bzfi0165.jpg
A screenshot of the map.
(334.69 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I now have revision 5 running at bzexcess.com port 5162. I received the following warnings from bzfs when I started it:

Code: Select all

face
  # plane normal = 0 0 0 0
    vertices 0 5 0 # 400 -400 4 400 -400 7 400 -400 4
    matref baseplatforms
  endface
invalid mesh face (0.000000): 0 5 0
  face
  # plane normal = 0 0 0 0
    vertices 4 0 0 # 250 -400 4 400 -400 4 400 -400 4
    matref baseplatforms
  endface
invalid mesh face (0.000000): 4 0 0
  face
  # plane normal = 0 0 0 0
    vertices 0 5 0 # -400 400 4 -400 400 7 -400 400 4
    matref baseplatforms
  endface
invalid mesh face (0.000000): 0 5 0
  face
  # plane normal = 0 0 0 0
    vertices 4 0 0 # -250 400 4 -400 400 4 -400 400 4
    matref baseplatforms
  endface
invalid mesh face (0.000000): 4 0 0
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Just so you know, when someone joins the map as any color, a flag appears on their base as well as the box in the middle. I'm not sure if that's the intended effect.
Ride
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ride »

Very Nice F6.... You have a very creative mind.

Well done!
F687/s
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by F687/s »

Here are some of the changes I made for Revision 6:

* I have changed it to only have 1 team flag in the center of the map.
* I have re-added the box-pyra-house-looking thingies to fill up some of the empty space in the middle.
* The walls guarding the center flags were lowered.

Some screenshots:
A screenshot of the map
The overhead view

Let's see how this turns out...
Attachments
arenactf.bzw
ArenaCTF - R6
(16.93 KiB) Downloaded 179 times