tangability

Questions, comments, and news on the server side plug-ins and it's API
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

tangability

Post by optic delusion »

Jeff added tangability, to trunk. This allows objects to change from drivethrough to solid, via a plugin. If anyone is working on a plugin to take advantage of this property, I'm extremely interested. Please let me know what you are doing.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Please note that the feature is completely untested.
ImageJeffM
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

It seems like i'm the only one excited by this.
I'm trying to drum up some interest.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

Optic Delusion wrote:It seems like i'm the only one excited by this.
I'm trying to drum up some interest.
You're definitely not the only one. :wink:
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Optic Delusion wrote:It seems like i'm the only one excited by this.
I'm sure others will be excited once they know about this. Myself not being a plugin developer, I can't say I'm too thrilled, but I'm sure that I will be happy when someone creates a plugin that utilizes this down the road.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It will require the map and plug-in to work in together, since the plug-in will have to specific exactly what objects to affect via there ID numbers.

Maps can't specify ID numbers because the ID number depends on where the object is in the map. So a plug-in would have to search for it by it's name using bz_findWorldObject();

What I'd do instead of just wishing for a plug-in that uses it, is to come up with a concept or idea that uses it. Then propose that, as its' a lot easier to write a plug-in to do something specific.

Currently you can't change the colors or materials of objects to go along with the tangibility update so you can't do doors that disappear or anything. That feature is planned but there are other features to be fixed first.

Tangibility is just the first part of 3 features I wanted to add, the rest being Real time Material updates, and Trigger objects. The goal being to create a system for doors or force-fields.

I'm not too sure how useful Tangibility will be on it's own with out those other features.
ImageJeffM
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

This is GREAT.

You could give an object an animated texture right? So a door that opens and closes could be synced with the tangibility.

You could also use drawinfo to make the door "open" when a tank drives near it. So if someone is near the door, you can shoot through it, but if not, they ricochet.

Once the triggers thing is set up, it will be amazing. You could have a CTF where one teammate has to hold down a button to open the door so you can cap. You could even have a series of doors, such that it would require 3 or 4 teammates to help you in order to cap.

Question: what will happen if you're inside an object when it becomes tangible?
Join MI6!
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Animated textures are not in sync with all clients but the plugin events will be, AFAIK.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/