Making a Map editor

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
Delta Lead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Making a Map editor

Post by Delta Lead »

Ive seen all the map eidtorsand none of them do everything you want them to do or are extremely complicated and slow.

I would like to make an editor thats is not too complicated (like bzedit) and does many more things as well as adapt easily to any bzflag updates as well as support zone code (actually place flags in zones with the editor) as well as place meshes and more complicated things.

I know if someone made a program like this it would be a maricle.

I'd like to know how the heck you guys even make a program like bzworkbench or bzedit. It's way beyond me....
"This Is The Way The World Ends"

Im busy with life be back after 2008 ends.....
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

First question, what is a "maricle"? ;)

BZworkbench is that application. We just need some developers to pick it up and complete it.

It is way beyond you right now, but with a little effort on your part it can be learned, You just need some c++ experience and a lot of determination and interaction with experienced developers to bounce around ideas.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Delta Lead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hmm

Post by Delta Lead »

Yah well im a high school student so i might not have the time to dedicate this summer since it
's already over :wink:

If bzworkbench does that thenonce i figure it out ill try to help out =/ but by the time i get close enough tthat good to help it will be done =/

*looks out window* :cry: it's raining :cry: ...... Back to bzedit....

Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

You'll want to start learning C++, since that is what BZWorkBench is written in. I recommend this tutorial: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

You don't need to spend tons of time on it, maybe just spend 20-30 minutes a day, or an hour or two total every week going through, doing the tutorials.

After that you'll wanna work on some problem solving, and logical thinking. The most important part to programming is thinking logically. If you can't think of how to do it in C++, think of how you would do it in real life. Then adapt that to the programming language.
Delta Lead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks

Post by Delta Lead »

Thank You For Your Help.

To bzedit Away!!

Must Finish Map.

clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

Or, if you want, you could learn Python and help me with RatBZEdit. Python has much cleaner syntax than C++, and does not need to be compiled. However, C++ is a much more widely-used language. Make a decision. Now! Hurry! (Python. PLEASE!)
FKA Ratfink
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

C++ is more widely used for applications (AFAIK anyway).

Delta Lead
It will take lots of hard work and patience to learn C++. You will probably have to spend more than one summer trying to learn it, possibly taking some high school courses on it or some college courses. I went to camp for two weeks to "learn" C++ and basically just learned the basics of it.
Delta Lead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hmm

Post by Delta Lead »

Ill lean python, Anybody got any links??

I'd be mor ethen happy to help you ratfink as long as it doesn't intefere with me personal or scholl life.

Family, School , nad friends come first!

Abominable
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Abominable »

Make sure you have a lot of patience and a lot of free time. It can get quite extensive.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Re: Hmm

Post by Winny »

Delta Lead wrote:Ill lean python, Anybody got any links??
The main part of programming is solving problems. If you cannot find a Python tutorial by yourself, I don't think you'll be able to learn to program.
Delta Lead
Private First Class
Private First Class

Ok...

Post by Delta Lead »

i already come up with hundreds of tutorials but im wondering if anybody has got one thats the best. I have already gone through like 2 and all it does is try to convince me how python is so easy. it doesn't reall do much else. BTW-I don't plan on becoming a programer. I have nearly enough time nor money. I have school and i do not plan on a career in the way of technology more in the lines of military bands/woodworking/firefighting and,or medical.

blast
General
General

Re: Ok...

Post by blast »

Delta Lead wrote:i already come up with hundreds of tutorials but im wondering if anybody has got one thats the best. I have already gone through like 2 and all it does is try to convince me how python is so easy. it doesn't reall do much else. BTW-I don't plan on becoming a programer. I have nearly enough time nor money. I have school and i do not plan on a career in the way of technology more in the lines of military bands/woodworking/firefighting and,or medical.
Then I would recommend not spending months learning to program Python to the point where you can actually help make a map editor.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)